ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

York Dragway Yesterday

Anybody from here go? Saw a couple of Clios....

I managed to run a 13.5 @ 108mph, but all day I struggled with grip :(

Now investigating better ways of laying the power down!

williams and trophy

good time there fella

wanted to go but went the peaks run instead........bet it was dead too eh?? lol

Yes, was not many cars running (bet loads went to USC).

Few drag cars there though, so the RWYB was a bit stop and start until the last hour, but then there was no quing for runs at all!

Im going again for the next one which is a GTi/Hot Hatch day I think? End of August?

williams and trophy

yeah mate think theres a few of us goin to that one......usc was fukkin busy like lol.....was there the fri/sat....fukkin hot too lol

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by timrud on 09 August 2004

Yes, was not many cars running (bet loads went to USC).
Yup, thats where I was...

williams and trophy

rich mate...u get my text??

dint get ur pm til i got home lol

was a good do tho......saw vtec abuser there by chance lol.....ran against nick reads for all 3 of my runs..

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Yeah, got your text but it wont let me reply?! :confused:

Met up with Ben (VTEC Abuser) on Friday, and also saw you run against Nick once, but I never found you for some reason...

Anyway, was too hot and I thought my times were sh!t, but after watching what everyone else got over the 3 days it wasnt as bad as I thought...

Ran 15.0secs @ 96mph, then 15.0secs @ 94mph and then 15.0secs @ 91mph, basically my driving got better on each run, but the hotter the car got the more power it lost, so oddly ended up with the same times, but the terminal kept reducing as it wasnt pulling as well.

Suffers really badly in the heat, it was gutless on the last run, nearly stalled off the line! :oops:

Mk2 Ph1, 1.6 16v Clio

I live in York and my girlfriend lives in Sutton-upon-Derwent which is next village on to Elvington (where the drag races are - Elvington Air Strip).

I went past it yesterday and saw quite a few nice motors on the roads nearby. I saw one clio as I drove past in my newly purchased one :)

Daz

Mk2 1.6 16v owner (standard at moment with factory fitted Leather, Side-Skirts and Rear Spoiler).

See here for pics!: http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=103007&PagePosition=1http://forum.cliosport.net/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=2&TopicID=103007&PagePosition=1

Daz

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by daz_uk on 09 August 2004

I live in York and my girlfriend lives in Sutton-upon-Derwent which is next village on to Elvington (where the drag races are - Elvington Air Strip).
No, the "York Dragway" we are talking about is not at Elvington, its in Melbourne just further on...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Toypop on 09 August 2004

What have people been getting out of unmodified 182s?
I know of one thats run a 14.9 at York

williams and trophy

yes mate they do.not sure about if theyl let u run next time or not tho, cos some of em are cars only meets

Why dont you believe it, because its purple? ROFL

Tell you what ask Doddcup on here how much I pulled away from his car on the duel carrageway....

To be honest its not that hard to get power out of a C20LET, would say its easily on a par with a YB lump for extracting power easily if you know what your doing.

If I had tuned the boost down Id of probably got a better time on the strip.

Quote: Originally posted by timrud on 10 August 2004

Why dont you believe it, because its purple? ROFL

Tell you what ask Doddcup on here how much I pulled away from his car on the duel carrageway....

To be honest its not that hard to get power out of a C20LET, would say its easily on a par with a YB lump for extracting power easily if you know what your doing.

If I had tuned the boost down Id of probably got a better time on the strip.
I dont disbeleive your figure, but its always nice to see some impartial evidence to back up a claim. Have you had it on a RR or is that an estimate?

How do you manage to put that power down through a F/F set up? It must torque steer like a pig?

Id be interested to see the spec / mods to your car.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Theres an orange clio on here thats 185 bhp ( tuned 172 f4r unit) and he uses a 50 hp NOS kit and he runs 13.5 at 106 - now if your running the same times with 325 bhp theres something wrong - i am puttin money on it that your car is not 325 bhp. Chris n Nic,s cup ran a 14.0 at 100mph and thats only 0.5 of a second slower - theoretically yours should be running 11 / 12 sec qtr,s at 115 / 120 mph.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 10 August 2004

Theres an orange clio on here thats 185 bhp ( tuned 172 f4r unit) and he uses a 50 hp NOS kit and he runs 13.5 at 106 - now if your running the same times with 325 bhp theres something wrong - i am puttin money on it that your car is not 325 bhp. Chris n Nic,s cup ran a 14.0 at 100mph and thats only 0.5 of a second slower - theoretically yours should be running 11 / 12 sec qtr,s at 115 / 120 mph.
Agreed, my Clio Cup ran 14.5s with just an induction kit...

Right. Same day a corsa with a standard C20LET (201bhp) ran a 14.5. That car will weigh a lot more than a cup etc...

What you have to remember is your cars will be a doddle to launch and drive, I imagine even my mum could manage it after drinking 5 pints. My 60ft times were APPALING. A lot of slower cars (best example was a kit car) would dust me off the line, we would be even at top of second, then I would go into third and whatever i was racing would dissapear like it put the brakes on. There is a Nova with a tuned 8v 2l Turbo, that can just lay down the power and it runs mid 11s. I could use the adjustable boost option, but at the moment my interior is not complete, and it would be highly impratical to be messing with the controller when driving.

If I put an LSD on and mastered that Id certainly be in the 12s.

Next time out Ill try and get two spare wheels to put some drag tyres on, and also take all the tools and spare wheel out of the car to make it a bit lighter!

Yes it does torque steer like a crazy horse.

Remember in a FWD car power for launching is a case of diminishing returns after the optimum point of power. Id like to see this orange clio stay anywhere near me from a rolling start on the motorway or something.

MERCEDES CLS AMG

Id like to see this orange clio stay anywhere near me from a rolling start on the motorway or something.
I think its your car that will struggle keepin up with him - straight up.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Right. Same day a corsa with a standard C20LET (201bhp) ran a 14.5. That car will weigh a lot more than a cup etc...
Doubtful... the Corsa is not a heavy car to start with, both cars have a 2.0 engine in there...

My CTR runs 14.5secs too, that defiantely weighs a lot more than both cars and doesnt have much more power than that 14.5sec Corsa.

Haha! I can tell your on the wind up now about the orange clio! Ill leave you to live in your fantasy world.

Reason I said SAME DAY the standard corsa ran a 14.5 is that it had the same ambiant air temps to contend with as me. Ive not got an ACT guage, but I imange they were running very high.

GTiR 394bhp

Quote: Originally posted by j3ned on 10 August 2004

325bhp wont see low 12s,never mind 11s on a front wheel drive car in street trim.It might see high 12s if driven well.As for 115-120mph youd need around 400bhp+ to get that.

The fabled Maestro turbo has run consistant low 12s over the past few years with a very experienced driver and is only now looking at breaking into the 11s with over 500bhp.

As for comparing the times against a cup,maybe the ets are similar but the terminal speeds are very different.Times are more down to launch technque and grip,terminals give a better idea of power.

IMO the time and ET tallies up with the power claimed.It could probably go a bit quicker,but whos couldnt;)?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Cheers mate!

Somebody get a meet at a drag strip sorted soon (I say york on 29th) so I can have a play with ya! :)
If I am around Ill come along... Im sure I can persuade a certain orange Clio to come as well... ;)

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

with a bit of practice u should be seeing good times mate! i saw a turbo nova running very low 12s at pod with slicks on the front!

V.nice corsa fella, all repect given! I dont see anything wrong with 13.5s at least then there is always room for improvement!

Is this orange clio were all talking about the sleeper?

But whatever happens it will be a fun day out!

And too I would like to see the print out of 350hp as that is v.impressive, but not saying I dont believe you!

Danny

Polo GTi

My moneys on Matt in his Ginger Mobile ;)

[Edited by FlamingMonkey on 10 August 2004 at 8:07pm]

Actually I reckon 2live is gonna be getting some serious times down soon enough too.

Your all gonna be running scaed on the 29th when I turn up in my boggo Willy and get 13.0 dead straight off :p

williams and trophy

lol...........id be well happy with 13.5s lol...........dont think il b gettin em tho...somewhere near the 14.0 dead hi 13s would be nice lol