ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

YOUR 16V 1.8 1991-96 TIMES AND BHP

RIGHT AS MOST OF YOU KNOW I GONNA GET A 1991 1.8 16V YEAH....AND I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT POWER TO EXPECT AND TIMES TO EXPECT FROM IT I KNOW ITS 130BHP STANDARD AND ITS 130 TOP SPEED AND ITS 7.7 0-60 BUT WHAT HAVE YOU ALL GOT AND WHAT HAVE YOU ALL DONE TO YOUR TO GET IT TO THAT.

IM GONNA GET MINE GASFLOWED AND CAMS THE LOT THEN ADD MY NO2 KIT 50BHP TO START ME THINKS.ME THINKS TOTAL 215BHP WHAT SORT OF SPEED DO YOU THINK IT WILL REACH.

OH YEAH AND WHATS THE MAX SPEED ON THE SPEEDO, AND WOULD IT REACH IT EVER.

I KNOW THERES LOTS OF QUESTIONS BUT ANY HELP WOULD BE WELCOME

JAMIE.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3

They are actually 137bhp standard, mines got a green air filter and powerflow zorst which takes it up to 150bhp.

0-60 havent really tested it but im guessing it would be around 7.4 (is that the standard 16v time)???

The clock goes up to 150MPH but 5th is geared at about 20MPH/1000RPM, so you would be at around 7500RPM (Red line is 7000RPM)

SO TOM WHAT YOUR SAYING IS IT WILL REACH 140MPH WITH THE CURRENT GEARING, AND IS THERE ANY WAY PAST THAT NOT THAT IM SAYING 140 AINT ENOUGHT FOR ME (IT IS ) I JUST LIKE TO KNOW THESE THINGS.

MANY THANKS JAMIE.

Williams 2, STi N12

With all the kit you are planning to put on it youll easily be bounching off the rev limiter in top.

To go any faster then youll have to change either your gearing or final drive.

Its not just power Jamie, its drag..

dont worry about top speed, most mods you do will not increase it much, if at all.

Go for a 2ltr unit to make the most from it.

have fun.

Joe.

IM NOT TOO BOTHERED I JUST WANT A MINT FAST CAR IVE BEEN DRIVING MY 1.4RT AND BEING BEATED BY THE STUPEDEST KIDS AND IM SICK OF IT I JUST WANT A NICE CAR THAT I KNOW IF I GET IN TROUBLE IT WILL BE THERE TO GEWT ME OUT OF IT AND I DONT HAVE TO PROVE NOWT TO KNOWONE.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK YOUR OPPINIONS PLEASE.

JAMIE.

so can i just ask that when my car has say 170bhp and it hits the 145-50mhp mark and theres no more it can go, i take it increaseing the bhp in the car would just mean it can get there quicker.

am i right.

jamie.

Ive got a fair engine and various complimentary mods - and I can tell you for sure that the top speed on my 16v doesnt sound any faster than you guys.

Like the Captn says, its down to drag - and Im sure I need not remind you that the 16v has a huge scoop to gulp in air and lots of various other air holes (like next to the fog lights, if you take the blanking plates out).

In my experience, my car will belt it to 120, but takes ages to get to top speed - 130 in my case. If theres a hill involoved, then my car sticks at 125 tops. Mat Brown also has a 170bhp conversion, but he has the 2.0 bottom end. That definitely had more speed than I did as we found out a few months ago - but thats probably due to torque, as mine slowed to 125 on an incline, while he ploughed past to make 130+. Still more than enough for us both to waste an MG ZR 160bhp!

In any case, top speed is something I very, very rarely use. With the 16v its really the blinding acceleration from rest and in gears (like 30-70) that you use - to devastating effect. Something like a 5 Turbo is still slightly better than a 16v for 0-60 (but only by a cars length), but once youre over the initial inertia, the 16v is a quicker car in standard form.

Its an expensive business moding a 16vs engine, so Id have a hard think before you splash out - unless your engine blows! Coming from an RT anyway youll probably be more than happy with a standard 0-60 of 7.7 and top speed of 130mph!!

Autocars test in 1992 got 0-60 in 7.4, 30-70 in 7.1 () and top speed of 127mph. The only area that the Williams test was better at was top speed in 1993 (130mph).

Just read your latest post. You need not worry about the box ratios as youll never make 145-50mph with 170bhp anyway - as my car proves. The Clio V6 does 147mph according to tests.

The speedo on my 1.2 Clio said I was doing 115 - but theres always error - so Id say it was 105mph absolute tops. No test has ever seen a Clio 16v/Williams get over 130mph.

The guy before me had head, cams, Verniers, re-mappable ECU and various other mods done. But not a 2.0 bottom end (as far as I know). Actually, it coulnt be a 2.0 bottom end as Mat Browns 2.0 definitely has a higher top speed than mine - but the acceleration of both our cars seems very similar

What say you Mat?

williams and trophy

iv had mine bouncing off the limiters at 135 4 up n thats when it was bog standard
cheers
jon

Jamie, if you can hang on a moth or so, I will be taking the engine compete out of my car (Mk2 172) 7000 miles.

you could fit that.

I would take a little over a grand for the engine complete with induction and stainless exhaust manifold. (Less gearbox ! but yer valver box would fit)

172 bhp BEFORE you start the mods.

Joe.

na m8 i think ill just be sticking with the 16v 1.8 for the next couple of years till my ncb is i bit more neway hehehehehe it will be much better than the 1.4 8v so i think illl be happy, that only reason i want to get the head redone is because the engine will porb have around 80000+ on the clock and i want it renewed thats all.

jamie.

In the short term Id just go for a good full system exhaust (watch it, as most dont fir very well) and an induction kit (not good if you commute in slow traffic as they lose some of your torque by taking in hot air and can melt!). With those two very average mods, youll have a fantastic sounding car - it wont have any more bhp really, especially if theres a lot of hot air about (not a problem here in Wales!).

Then take it from there with the engine mods. If its got miles on it, then youre going to have to have some work done on the internals at some stage.

Id really recommend hanging on to your money for a few months, as the 16v has a nasty habit of presenting you with a very large bill just to keep it one the road (e.g. diffs, gbox, catalyst etc).

If youre hell bent on doing an engine conversion straight away, then just make sure you have enough liquid cash to cover the problems. I bought a 170bhp car just after it had had the engine done. That meant I avoided the cost of the work - but picked up the tab for the gbox, diffs, cv, clutch, ball joints - and in fact anything that the strain of an extra 30+bhp broke! That lot has cost me the best part of £3k in the last 9 months.

So mod with caution and a full wallet!!

Leon Cupra

"172 bhp BEFORE you start the mods"
A drink to the man who can find a standard 172 that is actually putting out 172BHP. LOL

Tim

BMW 320d Sport

Dont get too carried away by nitrous power; yes it will help you get to top speed quicker, and it *can* give you a higher top speed, due to the sheer grunt that you will still have at 130mph+. You will need it to overcome drag which is the major factor once you hit 125. Im running a 16v lump with a Willy box and the rev counter seems to suggest that max speed is somewhere around 150mph, not taking speedo error into account (remember the 16v revs higher than the Williams). However in a normal valver even chipped for a higher rev limit, 125 is top whack to all intents and purposes, push it a bit further with a decent long empty stretch of motorway and youll see 130. Any more than this and youd be best off downhill with the wind behind you!

Once youve got the gas, and want to try a top speed run on your private testing facility, go for 125 without nitrous first, then fire it to get up to 130, 135, 140 etc in stages. The engine will take it as long as its set up right, but dont fire it for more than 10 seconds at a time.

nae bother m8 ill take it canny i mean i aint wanting nowt like the fast and the furious sh*t just yet im sure ill be happy with the 16v as it is.and a m8 of mine dos the n2o and he knows what hes doing.

jamie.

williams and trophy

capn i think there was only 1 172 running anywhere near 172bhp at the r/r...........and all the willys put in above standard bhp........all roughly around the 165-175 mark.......172s???
lol
jon

BMW 320d Sport

Well like I said the other night Ben, were going for the big showdown at York in October; its just as far for me as it is for you, but its a well mellow atmosphere at York and a good strip surface. Of course you have to be capable of sub-15 second runs to go home with your head held high

Seriously though, Im thinking that York will be probably the last quarter miling that most of us keen Clio dragsters will do this year so why not come along mate?