ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

YOUR 197

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Hi Guys

We are always looking of ways to improve our service and range

we would like to know what you feel YOU would like to improve or change on your 197

* Engine
* Drivability
* Power
* Handling
* Ride
* Styling
* Seating
* Brakes

Would you buy one if there was a different range or particular product available?

let us know

thanks

Andy

From testing an early 197 round Brands Hatch, my only criticism was the lack of low down grunt... much like the 172/182.
Not sure if a simple remap would cure this? (may already be available, I havent looked)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Mainly a nice smooth remap. There is a nasty flatspot around 2.5-3k, although i'm sure you are aware of this

Tav

Clio 197
Maybe offer some of the stuff that was fitted to that 197 from Holland? The chap posted up a link to a good website that had a lot of motorsport parts for the 197 and could be bought in complete kit form, was quite impressive. It's on here somewhere...

Clio 200 double acting dampers and other improved OEM parts?

Swift Sport
I'd agree about the map, I've had mine live mapped and it's better (not great).

I'd love some more power lower down ;)

Nimbus 197
I haven't driven a 200 or 1*2 but I have no problems with flat spots or anything, I find my car very smooth! Saying that though, it's always nice to see some engine development...ITB's! :D

Swift Sport
I've driven a 200 round a circuit and it definately feels punchier at lower revs, I'd like to think this could be obtained in my 197 without emptying my wallet!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I haven't driven a 200 or 1*2 but I have no problems with flat spots or anything, I find my car very smooth! Saying that though, it's always nice to see some engine development...ITB's! :D

denial!! ;)

In a high gear (5th), start from like 20mph, it will not pull clean from 1.5 - 4k. You will fell the flatspots

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
this will no doubt we emisions based control and hard to remove..... but we are working on a solution..

Andy

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'll be first in line if you do!! Only thing that irritates me!!

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I currently own a 172 and had a ride out in my mates brand new 197 a couple of years back now, wasnt impressed at all to be fair, just lacked torque pretty much all over the rev range

I would love to buy one but the lack of engine tuning available with proven good results puts me off as I couldnt live with its lazyness

I think chassis wise its brilliant out of the box, and they're plenty of coilovers available, maybe make some cheaper ones for people on a budget

I think they all came with 4 pots standard (not 100% on that though) so cant see the need for them to be upgraded, if anything better pads would be a start if you cant already get them

Other than that I cant think of anything, other than the gearbox which would be far to costy to rectify

*hope this helps as a possible buyer in the future*

Nimbus 197
denial!! ;)

In a high gear (5th), start from like 20mph, it will not pull clean from 1.5 - 4k. You will fell the flatspots

20mph in 5th :eek: Maybe the flatspot does exist but I try to be in the "correct" gear at all times...I find working the gearbox in the 197 to be one of the most satisfying bits of he whole experience!

The only time I've experienced some loss in power was when I tried taking the airbox lid off for extra noyze - fun for a while but gets a bit tedious.

I would like to see some bonnet struts/dampers for the 197...it's too heavy for me to lift :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No i dont drive like that, but its there in all of them, trust me ;)

Turbo LY R27
Just power and more power. Like others have said a good remap with more low grunt. Mines standard with 37k on, feels better and faster than it used to at all rev's but still wants to be better. Do you guy's do all the cam's, superchargers, ITB's etc? Heard about you testing them or developing them but cant see anything on the website? Im very interested but cant find anything:S

Oh, 17inch turnis would be nice;)

Black 197
More power needed for sure, Mine is not sluggish at all but does not feel up to par with my old 182

Turbo, Supercharger, ITB's definately required

Infact i'm going for the turbo option when its available, Boost FTW

Black 197
Turbo for me !

How far have you got with the design / fitment yet ?

got a few mods up and coming and this is one thing im defo going for

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
design and fitment all sorted

just going throught testing and validation now.

We will release when we are all 100% happy with it

Andy

Black 197
design and fitment all sorted

just going throught testing and validation now.

We will release when we are all 100% happy with it

Andy

Thank's Andy

Out of curiosity are the 197's producing more BHP & torque on the low boost kit than the 172/182 LBK ??

Cupped 200
I personally just think that a supercharger would be better if we look at it from the driveability side!? Because the Power and Torque will be delivered constantly over the range and not punchy or rougher like from a Turbo. But well, that depends on the Turbo too, doesnt it ;). Just from the Fun side.. Turbo.

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
I personally just think that a supercharger would be better if we look at it from the driveability side!? Because the Power and Torque will be delivered constantly over the range and not punchy or rougher like from a Turbo. But well, that depends on the Turbo too, doesnt it ;). Just from the Fun side.. Turbo.

Agreed, different delivery with the same level of peak boost.

the SC will incrementally have more boost in almost direct relation to RPM, so therefore making peak boost at peak RPM. Flow and therefore torque can be controlled to smooth out the delivery for the road kits

the turbo will give a large kick lower down at circa 4k usually on a 2.0 with a GT25 or GT28 type turbo..

Andy

Black 197
I understand what your saying in regards to the SC delivery of power, But for me you cant beat the sound of a turbo spooling then giving you that surge of power, Sure its not as refined as say the SC but we all go on about the 5k kick in the 1*2's and its something thats loved, The closest addition to the engine to replicate that would have to be a turbo charger IMO

Keep us updated Andy as im really interested in this along with some other things i would like you to carry out on my car

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
if you wanted the 5k kick that can be mapped in, as on the std engine its an effect of the stock mapping that does that...

Black 197
^^ Ok thanks

Im all for the Turbo though, SC has never appealed to me.. I need to go in both of your cars tbh...