ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Your favourite map of all time?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
What's yours? Any platform, any game. What map when loading gets you thinking of what to do the minute the game launches?
Maybe you have a favourite vantage point or a set sequence that often works in your favour - should the map be on an RTS game, for example. The same could also be said about tracks or circuits if racing is more your thing?

I think I'm going to be cheeky and put forward two! For RTS's - I simply have forgotten the amount of hours I've put into the Achelous River map on Company of Heroes. A perfect mix of head-on armour confrontation - with the ability to flank with infantry - if you're quick enough. A mate of mine actually edited the game with the games' inbuilt World Builder to increase it from a 2v2 map to a 3v3 and it works brilliantly.

From an FPS perspective - it has to be the Suez Canal map from Battlefield 2142 - set to Titan Mode and with 32 players. Pretty damn close to FPS perfection that...

Mito Sportiva 135
Wow Goldeneye - I can still every map so well, it's etched into my soul!
This is a great question, you should submit it for the Weekend Hot Topic on Gamecentral on Metro website, it's a good one and not been done before!
I am struggling to think of the name, but I think it has to be Polar Wharf on Mashed - that was legendary!

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
I played a goldeneye competition on boxing day with my bro and a few mates.
Bought a scart/hd converter and plugged the old n64 badboy in.
was SOOOOO laggy but was amazed how ahead of the time the game actually was.

a few maps were...

Facility
Complex
Caves

Mito Sportiva 135
I hated Caves, worst MP IMO! Complex and Facility were good, also liked archives
License to Kill with pistols was the one

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Hmmmm ! Nice Topic Darren! Cod had some great maps over the years! Battlefield 2 on the PS2, my first true online gaming had a great desert map.

I really enjoyed the Favela on one of the COD games.

Oh and the jungle on Top Gear Rally, my times on that lap was awesome!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to put the El Alamein map from the original Battlefield 1942 in here. It's still a very good, large map but in hindsight is far too aircraft-centric. Get a good couple of flyers on there and they can rinse the opposition.

Addicted - the rooftop map on SoF2 that was in both the demo and full game was a favourite of mine. Timing it right with the elevator shaft and lobbing an incendiary grenade down there... ;)

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Probably Killzone 2 - Either Radec Academy or Tharsis Refinery. Both small maps, really good with full games, 12v12 iirc.
Knew exactly where to run for each game mission and was really good with the "Assassination" game mode. Only a few places to hide the target so you really did have to work as a team to protect them.
I really wish they would bring those maps back to Killzone 4.

Last edited by a moderator:
AtoZ Manchester 1998. I still have dreams about that map.

ssh, I'm totes hilarious..

I don't really play much anymore - I loved the map on the original CoD:Modern Warfare; Crossfire I think it was called.

de_dust2 - Massively over played from around CS 1.6 onwards but my god it's a fantastic map. Reasonably even sided but with the right tactics you could dominate an opponent. The variation of tactics available for the map is incredible and there was always new techniques coming out (4K stacking in mid to overlook catwalk being one of the best). You could have long range battles with AWPs at Long A and Pit, mid-range from A covering steps and close range in B. It even works well on public.

The problem with a lot of new games is that you seem to be able to be shot from behind with relative ease, not quite being able to create tactics because the map designs are too open and you would have too much to cover. CS had a vast amount of great map designs and that really helped it set the benchmark (which I feel has yet to be surpassed) for true competitive gaming. Other maps would be de_nuke, de_inferno, cpl_mill and de_train.

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
DM Deck 16 - forget if this was quake or ultimate tournament

Clio 182, Jag XJS
I hated Caves, worst MP IMO! Complex and Facility were good, also liked archives
License to Kill with pistols was the one

Yep i agree Goldeneye ftw i loved having a few to many drinks and having a 4 player Slappers Only event ! ha ha

Better maps about than this one..... but one It stands out in my memory well, Face from Unreal Tournament.

So simple yet so fun, especially in CTF mode. Real intense! Epic sniping and flag runs.

M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

P.S. Good thread!

de_dust2 - Massively over played from around CS 1.6 onwards but my god it's a fantastic map. Reasonably even sided but with the right tactics you could dominate an opponent. The variation of tactics available for the map is incredible and there was always new techniques coming out (4K stacking in mid to overlook catwalk being one of the best). You could have long range battles with AWPs at Long A and Pit, mid-range from A covering steps and close range in B. It even works well on public.

The problem with a lot of new games is that you seem to be able to be shot from behind with relative ease, not quite being able to create tactics because the map designs are too open and you would have too much to cover. CS had a vast amount of great map designs and that really helped it set the benchmark (which I feel has yet to be surpassed) for true competitive gaming. Other maps would be de_nuke, de_inferno, cpl_mill and de_train.

I can't believe I didn't even say dust2, after playing CS1.6 for years, and then CS:CZ, and some CS:GO now, though I must admit I get sick to death of dust2 now as it's on most servers 24/7 hah!

Man the old days of cs_assault and nuke, they were the days :D

I've got a good one for you guys, anyone ever extensively play Warcraft 2?

A custom map called Chop - I spent so much time on that it's insane.

And moving on to newer WC3 - Footmen Wars!

All I've realised from this thread is that I play/have played too many games!

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
I've got a good one for you guys, anyone ever extensively play Warcraft 2?

A custom map called Chop - I spent so much time on that it's insane.

And moving on to newer WC3 - Footmen Wars!

All I've realised from this thread is that I play/have played too many games!
I never got into the old Warcrafts :( I played high end World of Warcraft for about 5/6 years though, I could name some of those raids in here I suppose.

Karazhan was amazing, Mount Hyjal, Gruul, Ahn-Qiraj. The amount of late night hours spent raiding on that game, either doing focused 25/40 man raids, or pissed up 10-man Alt runs was incredible.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Panama Canal - Bad company 2

Spa - F1 2013

Loved Port Valdez on BC2 myself - my favourite map in that game. The very start of that map was epic - be it defending or attacking.

Better maps about than this one..... but one It stands out in my memory well, Face from Unreal Tournament.

So simple yet so fun, especially in CTF mode. Real intense! Epic sniping and flag runs.

M-M-M-M-MONSTER KILL!

P.S. Good thread!

I know where you're coming from there - I still have a dabble against bots on that map every now an then, but with the low-gravity modifier added :)
Have you tried the latest version of that map on UT3? Not quite the same imo....

Loved Port Valdez on BC2 myself - my favourite map in that game. The very start of that map was epic - be it defending or attacking.

I know where you're coming from there - I still have a dabble against bots on that map every now an then, but with the low-gravity modifier added :)
Have you tried the latest version of that map on UT3? Not quite the same imo....
Omg the low gravity!
Did try it out. Definitely not the same!

Need to get a pc again..... relive the olden days!

2014 Focus Titanium

This man, knows his s**t.

My favourite map of all time is also de_dust2. It's evolution over the CS generations has only made it better and better. In Global Offensive now it's class. I wonder how many times I've played the map since i started on 1.3 in 2001!

2Fort is also a bloody great shout.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I must be the only one that disliked Crossfire on COD! Loved the Nuketown map for out and out hilarity!