ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Tidy Up & Track Project

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Hi all,

I bought a FF Clio 182 around 4 weeks ago and thought I'd pop a thread up to track my progress with the car. The thread will be majorly picture heavy as I do like to take a photo or 10!

I've bought the car to learn some basic mechanics and practice touching up body work as well as getting out on track eventually (apologies to the people who like the cars for road cars, there's an awful lot heading to the track!).

Please go easy on me as it'll be the first time I've done any of these things really, if you spot anything obvious that I've done wrong or could do better next time please let me know. :)

I bought the car with roughly 97k miles on the clock with the depahser and belts changed at 81k miles. The car has a Scorpion cat-back exhaust as well as a K&N filter, although I don't think the positioning is the best for heat soak. The car has the cup suspension and spoiler packs too.

These are a few pictures of the car on the day that I bought it:

mJ8CZzI.jpg

1rzI7pp.jpg

Q9HX01o.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
The first job was to give it a bit a wash over. The interior was pretty dirty so that had a good clean out and looks much better. I also added a Forge decal - just because you've got to add something to make it yours :smile:

bXwf7j4.jpg

nKnCiRd.jpg

VXrPilL.jpg

FRA2wYL.jpg

Y2eY9hT.jpg

vHGIpDa.jpg

RFPQBE5.jpg

HeJCdeO.jpg

SxxC4ph.jpg

P9IzlJO.jpg

lckm9qa.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I didn't like the car being debadged of it's Renault Sport badges so I ordered some replacements. They look much better being on, although they're not lined up to OEM:

7lyF0HN.jpg

kd03y2w.jpg

G3KqOiY.jpg

b3ohvfC.jpg

The previous owner had plasti-dipped the Clio badge, Renault badges, bullets and mirrors (as well as the wheels but they're staying for now). I didn't like it so set about removing it all. It all came of surprisingly well, although was a real PITA in some of the tight edges.

L3gLL6B.jpg

DiYbWck.jpg

ZxR3Gh8.jpg

K32mnht.jpg

xLAqZjO.jpg

38Br6x2.jpg

MyyNsQA.jpg

cWT1h4A.jpg

It was then onto using some Autosol on the exhaust tips as they should have been a lot cleaner!

AeS367i.jpg

Tcc6FMA.jpg

My Cliosport membership pack also arrived so I added the decal to the rear window as well as the chunky keyring! :D

3J527YP.jpg

jkfUfST.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I damaged the rear Renault logo boot badge by trying to shortcut the plasti-dip and blast it off with a pressure washer. That was a mistake! I ordered a new badge as I didn't want to leave it with the badge flaking.

Mm7H03b.jpg

dNMCnWh.jpg

One of the washer jets was missing when I bought the car, so I thought I'd just fill the hole with a rubber grommet for now. After speaking to another member on here I'll probably stick with them to be honest.

4Yjeofv.jpg

XK2FQkQ.jpg

Reactions: Gus
  Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
That's the chores done so I can carry on with the posting. After removing all of the plastidip I started to polish up the headlights as they could have been a lot better. They're not the worst I've seen by a long way but still...

OIa7EUD.jpg

xai9T9T.jpg

atDhn7O.jpg

DlgCDEn.jpg

CtSRnbd.jpg

DJRvUr0.jpg

KtrVJl8.jpg

Xwc0BUB.jpg

X7XRzL4.jpg

qKavAgQ.jpg

They still need some work really so I'll revisit them in a few weeks when I've got a better compound polish to hand.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Then it was onto cleaning some of the engine bay. For some reason there was a lot of oil seemingly all over the engine bay. The oil was very clean though so I assume that it's been overfilled or that there has been a spillage of some kind. Hopefully the pictures show what I mean a little better. Should I be worried?

q8UUNdT.jpg

dCpuiJP.jpg

ejhbrMQ.jpg

JL58Le6.jpg

8RWcyPQ.jpg

QVtVS74.jpg

teyDz4F.jpg

DX8c3xX.jpg

PsnpD1X.jpg

PDwsaZE.jpg

We'd bought some replacement clips to get rid of the cable ties that have been used throughout the car (by the looks of it! Why? they're so cheap!!)

rMRAM0B.jpg

HxQCMBJ.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
The weekend after I tried to tidy up a few other bits and pieces. There was something that looked like a burn mark and a scrape along the rear right bumper. It's nothing too drastic (especially as it's going to be a track car) but we wanted to have a little go at filling it to make it look better.

B8hIXJY.jpg

IXI1duk.jpg

IC2mS8Y.jpg

One of the sidelights wasn't working either (driver side), so I swapped the bulbs out some some that we had left over from an old car. They look blue but do shine white when on.

KKJcKP2.jpg

DD3fFOw.jpg

I'd also bought some replacement bolts for the engine cover as one of them was missing, just a stainless steel jobby from eBay.

XpjUZ9J.jpg

KWUVWEk.jpg

tso6rmv.jpg

iKECuEi.jpg

4yNy849.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
We'd then sourced a replacement boot lock and badge mechanism to replace the one that I messed up when removing the plastidip. The old button had a lot of movement in it anyway so it was probably a good idea to have swapped it out.

1aKH7tt.jpg

boGHPpo.jpg

You guessed it, a missing nut!
NxqspNP.jpg

SZY03UY.jpg

wk1U636.jpg

EagNea8.jpg

NYYkHid.jpg

Missing nut replaced!
1njrURd.jpg

The finished product
6dzX4iT.jpg

LAOEr5q.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Then it was time for a further engine clean to try and get rid of some more oil. There was no fresh oil that I could see and certainly nothing lower on the level of the dipstick. Hopefully it's nothing!!

gIBIK24.jpg

NNpneb0.jpg

8Z73Ayv.jpg

R36YGdk.jpg

RgvZ7tZ.jpg

RUl4iXF.jpg

8NHKlCn.jpg

Then this is the finished engine bay for now. It looks a million miles better than it did although I am still slightly worried about all of the oil. Nothing does seem fresh in there now though.

Does anyone thing the location of the K&N will cause problems with heat soak?

NNfRL0U.jpg

mYd0Pxd.jpg

usEJTk6.jpg

MIkUWgt.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I had a quick look underneath and everything looks in order other than one exhaust hanger. Naturally I took a few snaps!! :D

5EkmUlY.jpg

8ntMlBI.jpg

Then the hanger, a replacement has been ordered (and just arrived).
I0OHvKV.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Another little thing that was bugging me was the crappy metal aerial, I just thought it looked awful so that was replaced with a cheap carbon replica stubby aerial.

QJbOZ2M.jpg

7qRoJN5.jpg

8kJeb8M.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Onto a repair of the front bumper then as there was a big crack in it along with a missing front splitter. The crack can be seen in the first picture.

soErzs1.jpg

It's the first time I've ever put a car on axle stands so I was a little nervous :) All was good though. It was also the first time I'd ever removed a bumper. It looked like a 15 minute job from videos that I'd seen at Youtube but took me 5 hours!!! Shocking. Nearly every bolt was seized, odd sizes or just a real PITA. It all started with the front drivers wheel nuts being overtightened, they took over 20 minutes of hitting with a mallet to loosen off.

Some photos on the stands...

d4jSO4s.jpg

sLTq1PQ.jpg

izOeukK.jpg

I cleaned out behind the arch liners too, there was a fair old amount of mud and sand!

6N9ycMk.jpg

Rp2ytDP.jpg

A few more of the original crack...

soErzs1.jpg

rXgTHRM.jpg

Now don't forget that we've never done anything like this before (and it's a track car), so it's bound to look a little rough for a first attempt ;)

First off was to sand the area down with some fine wet and dry. The crack had pretty much bonded together during this process.

hNbmNno.jpg

aYeBwLx.jpg

YYOOeK2.jpg

Then we mixed up some 'Big Boy Plastic Flexi Filler' and gave it a good layer before leaving to dry and then sanding it back.

uW3iWTn.jpg

KPraeYk.jpg

eoBwsrW.jpg

KncOCfT.jpg

dMjWo3r.jpg

We really should have sanded and smoothed it back a little more but I was impatient and getting a little too excited. Oh well, onto the primer and first layer of paint.

x8Q8SOd.jpg

jGfWXL7.jpg

erafFyx.jpg

After several layers of paint and then lacquer it looked like this... massive errors! :D

VxquEUy.jpg

nz3drAK.jpg

Instead of masking off a bigger area and feathering I'd just sprayed up to the tape. You live and learn I supposed. After looking in disbelief for a while we decided to rub it down as we'd have liked a better finish from the filler anyway. That job could wait until the next weekend though. :(

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Nice work so far mate.

Like you, I take loads of pics!

Subscribed!

Thanks mate, I do love a photograph haha! It's the best way of looking back over the coming months and seeing where all of the time went!

Great start, Clios are so simple and so much fun to mess with, I'm running out of jobs to do on mine, usually dream up something daft to do though :smile:

Thanks Mark, I've never really done anything to the Evo's as I've always been scared and parts cost a fortune (as I'm sure you well know :D). There's always something to find and do! :D

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
While the bumper was off (I think I did this before the first attempt at a repair) I got rid of the other washer jet that was left and removed all of the other 'plumbing', up to the passenger wing anyway. I know grommets won't be to everyone's taste, but they'll do the job for me for the time being.

gPeCPCu.jpg

RdwqqY1.jpg

i3gTfvO.jpg

YQLbXZO.jpg

3MOvVos.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I'd also treated myself to a new toolbox to help keep everything together :D

rYCCcWF.jpg

You've got to love a few decals!

QshvGy2.jpg

1pLprWh.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Right, back to attempting to repair the crack in the bumper again. This was more successful... to a point!

Everything was rubbed down to as good as we could get it really (again, think track car ;)).
J1vf24m.jpg

uZraddt.jpg

Then on with the primer (again). It came up a little bubbly for some reason so I gave it a very light rub over when it was dry.
yAYvDjj.jpg

I kept then expanding the spraying area to help the feathering process with a bit more success.

UBoOyYh.jpg

ZRG5oJc.jpg

pejsyJy.jpg

sZfx3BA.jpg

2irqipm.jpg

It's by no means perfect, but it's a lot better than a big crack. I'm also happy as it's only our first (well, second) attempt!

0QUqsQM.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I'd also bought a cold air feed that I'd intended to cut out of the front lower grille to help get some cold air to the K&N. After painting it all up I realised that it probably won't fit in easily or be blocked by the radiator. I'll revisit this one again, but it's painted and ready to go!

ZO4Hz01.jpg

HbqerTc.jpg

AhHsdPZ.jpg

ovy7vcu.jpg

86tNXtX.jpg

JfUSohB.jpg

OyStQUk.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
We then fitted the missing splitter, or the common Skoda version of it. It all went swimmingly until I pressed on a little too hard and the crack started to come through again! After much swearing I touched it in a bit and will leave it at that!! Maybe I should have put something in to strengthen it at the back?

F8WjOhi.jpg

dqDFYLc.jpg

g1WZx0A.jpg

MtOAoZP.jpg

PytTmYl.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I then added a few more decals to help distract from the crack! ;)

I like the French flag that people have added so went for that to help break the grille up.
tVIFE5y.jpg

GulhkNc.jpg

I also added the tow decal as I'm waiting for the tow eye as a birthday present. :)
I36n4RW.jpg

wBOCsYj.jpg

Nn4V9xr.jpg

I bought a shed load of new clips for the arch liners as well as I broke a fair few when removing the originals. All went together very well though with all of the bolts being replaced and greased ready for quick access next time!
QQCQ2BA.jpg

This is how the car stands at the moment. I'm waiting for the DVLA to send the paperwork back for my new plates! :D

1Gm8LJ9.jpg

YVdzB8O.jpg

erszOd3.jpg

vEKA9X8.jpg

S4KnBJO.jpg

6k8PfHE.jpg

XFBznMJ.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've got a few bits and pieces to fit now before going onto some of the main 'track based' stuff. It's going to be a long project as funds and time dictate what I can do really, but I've been enjoying it so far!

To fit I've got:
Sunstrip (not to everyone's taste I know)
l08XYsq.jpg

Yellow Calliper Paint
LMdPHrb.jpg

Engine Mount Powerflex
ilL0Il6.jpg

IAJ9uZJ.jpg

Exhaust Mount
JXHHOAv.jpg

New Plates
McxAosB.jpg

OMP Steering Wheel With Momo Boss
vhRTvQh.jpg

MgdoycY.jpg

0t1VZTV.jpg

Ja9S8i6.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thank you to everyone that's read the thread so far, there were quite a few pictures! :smiley: I didn't realise how big they'd come out so I hope they do load ok for everyone.

If anyone has any helpful tips or advise please let me know.

Is there anything to be worried about with so much oil being in the engine bay? I don't think the cars loosing any oil from what I can see, and everything is clean so I just think it's been spilt. What do you all think?

Is there anything to be worried about with so much oil being in the engine bay? I don't think the cars loosing any oil from what I can see, and everything is clean so I just think it's been spilt. What do you all think?

Just keep an eye on it, it does look quite clean so you're probably right on the spillage.
Regarding the air filter, it's right behind the rad, the best place on a clio seems to be right in behind the passenger side headlamp, if you search 'fattys induction kit' you'll find a cheap way of doing it!
I've had a few attempts, but relocated my battery and set the filter here and works extremely well....
AE6CA9DA-C366-4C13-9D58-FC0A7BA179CC_zps0hwytxe5.jpg

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
The crack so much better the 2nd time! Well until late the splitter tinkered with it!

As for the cold air feed you'd be better off changing the filter to behind the headlights as it gets cold air there. Where it is now is getting a fair bit of heat soak. Plus if you change the filter setup you'll have better noise too!

How about removing the fog lights and making some ducts to cool the brakes?

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Just keep an eye on it, it does look quite clean so you're probably right on the spillage.
Regarding the air filter, it's right behind the rad, the best place on a clio seems to be right in behind the passenger side headlamp, if you search 'fattys induction kit' you'll find a cheap way of doing it!
I've had a few attempts, but relocated my battery and set the filter here and works extremely well....

Spot on Mark thanks. I'm relieved you think I could be along the right lines with oil spillage. I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed that it is that!

The battery re-location looks great on yours. I guess you relocated it to the boot? Does mine have a bigger battery than standard as I looked at relocating the filter to there but there doesn't appear to be a lot of room unlike a lot of people's photos.

The crack so much better the 2nd time! Well until late the splitter tinkered with it!

As for the cold air feed you'd be better off changing the filter to behind the headlights as it gets cold air there. Where it is now is getting a fair bit of heat soak. Plus if you change the filter setup you'll have better noise too!

How about removing the fog lights and making some ducts to cool the brakes?

Thank you kindly mate, I was absolutely gutted with the crack coming back with the splitter fitting. I can laugh now but I didn't at the time! haha

I did wonder why there was no real noise from the filter to be honest. Do you think it's just down to the location?

I'm well up for some brake cooling by removing the fog lights. Are there any proper kits out there to buy? I think K-Tech mat do one off the top of my head so I'll have to have a look. :)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've resized all of the photos too as they were taking forever to load, it was like the old days of a dial up modem. Hopefully everything should load better from now on. :)

Spot on Mark thanks. I'm relieved you think I could be along the right lines with oil spillage. I'll definitely be keeping my fingers crossed that it is that!

The battery re-location looks great on yours. I guess you relocated it to the boot? Does mine have a bigger battery than standard as I looked at relocating the filter to there but there doesn't appear to be a lot of room unlike a lot of people's photos.

Your battery is certainly bigger than the one that was my in mine, but I since fitted an odyssey race battery behind the passenger seat :)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Cool, I might have to go down that route in future. I'll have a look at the threads you suggested to see if I can find a temporary cheap quick fix. :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
A few more parts have come recently but progress has been slow with a few bits and pieces going on at home. I've had front and rear OMP strut braces (I know people say they don't do a lot, but I think they look ace) and a full set of mats.

g136ZW2.jpg

C17lGVx.jpg

ysQVpxW.jpg

qxxLlJA.jpg

I did get to have a good drive out this morning as I needed to open up early for GCSE results. :D

sXjqF08.jpg