ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Clio 182 - Tidy Up & Track Project

Titanium 182
Looking good so far mate, I'm with @Scrooge with the tow sticker, looked okay when the plate wasn't on but not a huge fan. Can't wait to see it with the floor mats in, want a set myself.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Thanks for all of the comments guys, I do think the car looks a lot better from when I first got it. Hopefully there will be a good few changes yet. I've really enjoyed buying and playing with a few bits and pieces as well as reading everything on the club.
I'm hoping to do a lot more reading of peoples projects over the weekend as it'll be my first quiet one for over 3 months (long story).

The tow sticker is my inner boy racer/chav haha. The tow eye will be going in over the weekend all being well and the car will eventually turn fully to track I guess, just with keeping some of the comforts for on the road. I'm a bit of a 'big guy' so there's no point going down massive weight saving when I'll be getting in the car :tongueclosed:

The mats are great quality for the price @Willsam I'll be sure to grab some pictures when they're in.

cs_dave

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
Looking loads better this is fair play for having ago. Get a 90 degree bend to get the air filter behind the pass headlight

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I do keep forgetting to have a look at that. I'm not sure the filter will fit behind the battery as it looks a lot bigger than OEM, I'll try and measure it this weekend. I may relocate the battery in the end but it would certainly be better to get the filter out to a 'cooler' area.

Titanium 182
I bet when you put some pictures on with the mats in my bank account will feel it Need to buy so much in so little time myself for trax

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I bet when you put some pictures on with the mats in my bank account will feel it Need to buy so much in so little time myself for trax

I was going to take the interior out today but the rain has put pay to that, so you'll have to wait a little longer for photos I'm afraid :tongueout:
The mats were a bargain from Ambassador, who made a set up for me for £93.49 (including postage) with the RenaultSport logos. They arrived within two days so you'll get them quick. :)

Go on, treat yourself :up:

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I went and collected the tow eye that I bought from @cs_dave and fitted it during the rain. I know that people don't like the tow decal, but at least it'll serve a purpose (although hopefully never needed!).

The street racer tow eyes are certainly good quality :up:

dDqryYH.jpg

WiDMtjo.jpg

4YaqG16.jpg

CBOW5GN.jpg

Brushwood69

ClioSport Club Member
Great start, Just bought mine to go with my Audi TT and my Cayman but haven't seen it yet :-( I'm turning mine into a rally car as I sprint and hillclimb the Audi in a class with 182s but they don't have a chance in that class but will rule in the Rally class (I Hope!)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Great start, Just bought mine to go with my Audi TT and my Cayman but haven't seen it yet :-( I'm turning mine into a rally car as I sprint and hillclimb the Audi in a class with 182s but they don't have a chance in that class but will rule in the Rally class (I Hope!)
That sounds like an interesting project! I'll have to keep my eye out for your project thread :)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've finally had a day with some decent weather over the weekend so managed to do a bit more. It was actually a decent day yesterday with very little swearing!

I'll start with a few parts and tools that have turned up. I got a new spanner set and a flare spanner from my brother for my birthday, so they came in handy with what else was to come.

lfJnwnF.jpg

I bought a 90" silicone pipe as well to try and limit heat soak from the current location of my filter. I've offered it up and should be good to go if I can move the battery further up a bit.

aRyrUFM.jpg

I also organised an Evo meet at Demon Tweeks with the MLR last weekend and made use of a very good discount to order some decent bucket seats for the 182. I was originally looking at some OMP TRS' but they were pretty nasty to be honest. I went for 2 Sparco Sprint-L (due to my large backside) which arrived Thursday last week. I got them with proper Sparco Clio Mk2 mounts and have ordered a rail for the drivers side, but that's still on back order.
I just need to sort out what to do with the airbag warning and order the correct resistors before I can fit them.

8b7Aem0.jpg

Does anyone else run Sprint-L's? They seem a lot narrower than the OEM seats.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
After starting off with a brew we started to remove the rear seats in the car. The isofix bar came out reasonable well with a long bar and some elbow grease. The bots weren't as corroded as I feared that they would be.

9sB1rjP.jpg

I did have a problem with the damn torx bolt though. It was a real PITA and I could only get it raised 2 or 3 mm before it was rounded.

x5etNiT.jpg

The cutting disc made light work of it though! :smilingimp:

JkLCTd7.jpg

KVgp7c1.jpg

After removing the seats we cleaned the metal down as best we could. There were some interesting finds, a penny coin, hair clip, a plastic ivy leaf and more impressively 2 packets of Swizzles Fizzers!

The rear seatbelts were then removed as well.

EeQG8LD.jpg

KNg691X.jpg

I used a shed load of copper grease and two arch liner clips to fill the gaps that run through to the elements on the car. They needed a bit of persuasion with a mallet.

7wC9ItO.jpg

UKspz4k.jpg

mT3B5Zy.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've got sprints in my Hillclimb TT and have used them for a couple of seasons by my mate bought a clio cup R3 rally car and the seats in that were very tight!

Hopefully with these being the 'L' version that'll make a difference. I did try them for size at Demon Tweeks and they fitted well :)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Then it was onto putting the boot mat in. The fit was perfect!

uhWxEPD.jpg

9kNyRQE.jpg

o9Tou8W.jpg

ozvjtaL.jpg

It was well worth the money and certainly makes a stripped interior a bit easier on the eye for normal road use. The matching front mats looked spot on as well:

MP95eul.jpg

sEFwh64.jpg

IiuO3sO.jpg

I then put the rear strut brace in.

vBoiiUT.jpg

vGn8HuG.jpg

4CZYRnj.jpg

RcK0oKd.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
After that it was changing the perished exhaust hanger. The bolts had various soakings of WD40 which helped massively.

Before:
I0OHvKV.jpg

After:
W7COECw.jpg

9QhUJle.jpg

The tips are still hanging very slightly to the right but I can live with it. It looks like one of those battles that every 182 owner has!
Js8HCs8.jpg

WCK4blo.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Then it was time for a very quick clean and some more exterior photos. It really needs a bloody good polish and wax, but we ended up running out of time yesterday.

YWN9qPI.jpg

PtFbdfS.jpg

YUdi67X.jpg

jOI4auv.jpg

NB8YYl0.jpg

siJo7Fo.jpg

cXvc7we.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
So now I need to make sure I have the correct resistors to fit the steering wheel, and then find a guide on what to buy for the front seats. Hopefully it's easy enough to swap the front seats without the airbag light coming on?

Range Rover Sport
Can't believe how much nicer the rear mat makes it look. Almost makes it look like it left the factory without rear seats.

How much did it cost of you don't mind me asking.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Can't believe how much nicer the rear mat makes it look. Almost makes it look like it left the factory without rear seats.

How much did it cost of you don't mind me asking.

Thanks @Midnight , it does make a massive difference.

The mats were around £93 all in (boot mat, fronts and postage). I'm pretty sure you can get the boot mat alone for around £50 from Ambassador Car Mats. They're really good quality too.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Looks superb!

Where are you going to mount your harness to?

Thanks @Midnight

I plan on getting a cage at some point so will cut out parts of the carpet that need it when necessary and use a proper harness bar. I'm not sure what I'll do short term though, that'll definitely need more research.

Nice car mate I've been struggling with my exhaust tips for about 4 months they sit fine for about a week then go back to old place. Grrrrrrrrr good luck with um ;)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
:smile:, to be honest I think since I've gone for a run out they've probably moved back over to where the were originally. Oh well :(

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I booked the car in for it's MOT a couple of months early as the more I drive the car the worse it feels. Steering was very sloppy and unpredictable. I thought getting a garage to do the MOT at this stage would give me a long list of things to work though and get sorted.

Well, it failed but no where near as badly as I thought it would. It failed on:

1) Emissions - Which they suspect is down to a hole in the exhaust that they found.
2) Number Plate Bulb - I really should have checked that before hand - oh well, I was worried about the suspension.
3) CV Boot.
4) Rear Brake Pipe Excessively Corroded (one side).

There was also and advisory on a ball joint as well which could explain the poor handling. There replacing everything at the garage to save the cost of another MOT test and I don't think the bill will be too drastic.

I'll be going through a list of advisories too and getting them sorted asap.

A special mention to @bloke for all of the advice and help. I'll be back in touch :)

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
I've got the car back now but after suffering a bout of the man flu I've been unable to get back out in it properly to see if anything has improved with the ball joint replacement. Overall the garage say the car's pretty good mechanically so I'm quite happy now it's had a second set of eye over it (especially with so much oil in the engine bay at the start).

I'm fully MOT'd up until October 2017! :D

The 3 advisories are:

1) Minor leak of exhaust gasses - I think the CAT is pretty shot at from what they've said but there must be another leak somewhere as well. They did patch one so maybe this should have been taken off.
2) Steering rack gaiter deteriorated nearside.
3) Front brake fluctuating, but not excessively nearside.

I'll have to have a search on here to see how easy access is to the gaiter as well as trying to find a way of diagnosing the brake problem. Hopefully it'll be something simple.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
No further progress but a couple of pictures. I've driven it over to Wales for the first time to help with the clear out of our static caravan. Having no back seats will do us a massive favour.

It's just a shame that I'm not going to get a chance to have a good drive on the Welsh roads in it this time...

cVj9owl.jpg

YMIgEUg.jpg

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Still no real progress I'm afraid. I came up with more problems than anything else. I tried moving the battery further up the tray only to find that it's all ready all the way in. There's no way I'll be able to relocated the filter until I get a smaller battery.

I then started to remove the front seats ready to fit the Sparco buckets. That took a lot longer than it should have for 8 stupid fixings!
ISwTGPD.jpg

I then went to put the resistors in to remove the airbag service light (etc) and soon realised that the seat belt buckles were attached to the seat - school boy error. I'll have to do some research to refitting them as I want to be able to keep use of the normal belts for MOT's and road use.

Not to worry, I'll crack on with fitting the Sparco seat subframes. No bloody fitting kit! Are they supposed to be included? There's no bolts in either subframe or the slider pack. There's nothing with the seats either. Moral of the story is to do some research on here before doing anything!

s7ulRaE.jpg

PxzX7hL.jpg

Oh well, the seats are stored in the car for now until I figure out what to buy for mounting everything.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Is it bad that I'm looking forward to seeing the seats unpackaged
Cars coming on nicely pal
Thank you for the comments, I'm quite excited as well haha :)

I've still not looked at what bolts I require though, too busy working at the moment. Hopefully I'll get a good 10 minutes to figure out exactly what's going on!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
Still not a lot of progress, but a little more. I'm still waiting for some fixings otherwise I would have been good to go.

Thank you to @bloke and @iamjoel for the help in another thread I've posted up. All being well I should be able to get the seats fitted by next weekend (if everything turns up).

I did stick all of the resistors in though to make sure that the airbag and pretensioner warnings didn't appear with the service light on the dash. I got one of them wrong so the service light did come on initially, but then re-did them and everything is working well, no service light. I've added pictures of each one just in case it helps anyone in the future (the guide is pretty simple though)

Passenger side:
9pTpm20.jpg

cInziwN.jpg

Drivers side:
opASUo6.jpg

CzMYI7H.jpg

Then trimmed up and wrapped in electrical tape:
y7PIzGL.jpg

Roll on the seat install next weekend!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
The seats are in, they're the worlds worst pictures but it was going dark and properly foggy! It took a lot longer than expected but I'm very happy with them.

rWr0S0i.jpg

7ZcAsYc.jpg

XGy8gqW.jpg

The seats do sit high with them being on the 'higher' Sparco subframes (and Sparco slider rail), but there is just about enough room. The seats are more comforable that OEM, but still support the larger man! There's enough room for me with my helmet on as well to move around unrestricted, although it is very close.

The Saxo belts have bolted in nicely using a harness eye bolt so I'm more than happy with them for road use.

sWLzen6.jpg

There's just about enough room for the two Sprint-L's together, although it is tight around the handbrake. They'll do me very nicely though!

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
just get it reconfigured with clip.

I probably should have done and will have to. I went for a drive after fitting the seats (the cars not moved for a month so it's rude not too) and the service and airbag light came on. I guess one to the resistors has come loose. Maybe reconfiguring would be the way to go, I'll just have to figure out how to do it.

Clio 182, EvoX FQ360
you got a copy of clip?

I haven't gone a copy. Is it something that you run on a computer or something that's on some other device? I'll have to have a look to see if I can find anything, unless you know where I can get it? :)