ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

cone filter, strut brace

freefly said:
In my opinion Subaru drivers are much worse for mouthing off.

With regard to the Rover question with the right driver most definatley in my eyes.

:rofl:

Sorry freefly, to your comment about it bothering me I am not taking this seriously.

Clio 172 mk2
172/182 much easier to live with that Subaru/evo or Skyline.

I can now leave my car in most places overnight without worrying about it and drive through town without loads of kids commenting on the car:D

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
Neil G said:
172/182 much easier to live with that Subaru/evo or Skyline.

I can now leave my car in most places overnight without worrying about it and drive through town without loads of kids commenting on the car:D

Spot on that one of the reasons i like the cup so much. Even though it a second car and it was only supposed to be an interim, we have had it for 2years now. Its a great car and it all about how much fun you have not how fast it goes.

Missus wants another EVO or a 911.....im sure i will give in but maybe we will be a 3 car family again..!

Clio 172 mk2
911 would be very nice:)

Still, I'm going to stick with my 172 for a while as it does seem like a pretty good car:)

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
J3ned

Im bored now - Truce

We should meet up.....and have a beer. I have a banks in the fridge for Fred. Im buying....

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
all i can say is get an omp strutbrace for its asthetics, or custom build one if you're gonna unplug you're fear chip and sting the ring
open cone, why not. again go for closed induction if you want performance over noise
as for the other, some one on here said once
'when the flag drops, the bullshit stops'

V70 d5 beast
yea this thread was really good, some great comments, imo just meet up for a track day and race, you'll know then who's been bulls***ing, then have a few beers afterwards lol

imo from what i've seen i reckon the evo would win but the clio would be able to keep up on the straights although the evo would be out of sight in the clio lol

'when the flag drops, the bullsh*t stops'

often quoted on SSC over the past few years by GMC motorsport.

has anyone been in an evo round corners?? that yaw control or whatever controls all the 4wd system is mad. just feels so stable flying round such twisty roads at very vast speeds

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER
dunno, i saw that variable centre diff explode once and stuff the poor guy driving into a hard looking tyre wall

I'm thinking of going to Oulton Park on Feb 19th with Easytrack. EVOGone you should get the 911 in the new year and invite j3ned to a duel hehe.

IMO the Clio should beat "most" EVOs round "most" tracks in dry conditions.

Last edited:

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
EVOgone said:
J3ned

Im bored now - Truce

We should meet up.....and have a beer. I have a banks in the fridge for Fred. Im buying....

Tumbleweeds................................................

mk2 clio 172
MarkM said:
Another nice quote from the MLR.

"Been out in my sons slightly modded 172 and having owned a slighly modded mk2 astra 16valve I would pick the latter make of that as you will."

I will tell you what I make of it, you know nothing about cars. Granted the astra was a quick car, I have driven one by the way, but to compare it to a 172 your having a laugh. Does the word handling mean anything to you.
Can you read? I said modded, I know what handling is about sonny! I had modded R5 for 5years and R21 for 2 years I now have E2 and E4 had the astra for 2 years and The astra cost me fk all in bills was reliable, better on juice, and more fun, wake up you t**t. BTW, I have forgot more than you know piss off.

danny1 said:
BTW that reply was by me, Dans dad, as I posted that on the MLR, cheeky tw*t.

Nice one Dans dad:rolleyes:.

Your advancing years have obviously clouded your memory the astra would not touch a 172, old t**t.:rasp:

I can read by the way I thought both cars were 'slightly' modded. Define the mods.

Last edited:
  Ziel Nurburgring
Lol at this thread. You girls are great!

My 2pence, I've driven a std 182 cup and a 182 cup with a Strutbrace round the Ring one after the other. The Braced felt shaper in the corners and held a much tighter line.

Of course the real question is whether we should use optimax or not

mk2 clio 172
MarkM said:
Nice one Dans dad:rolleyes:.

Your advancing years have obviously clouded your memory the astra would not touch a 172, old tw*t.:rasp:

I can read by the way I thought both cars were 'slightly' modded. Define the mods.
Mmm Its coming back to me now astra 156.78 bhp per ton 172.... renault 172 155.61 per ton 172 is fragile and hard to work on, astra is bullet proof and easy to work on 0.60 astra 6.93 renault 6.96 both have o/100 times of 18.64. very close match cars I reckon and wheels and inserts and the astra is pretty good. Anyway nice to chat but I will not say any more on here each to their own, bye.

172 cup TT
danny1 said:
Mmm Its coming back to me now astra 156.78 bhp per ton 172.... renault 172 155.61 per ton 172 is fragile and hard to work on, astra is bullet proof and easy to work on 0.60 astra 6.93 renault 6.96 both have o/100 times of 18.64.

Urgh id hate my cup to only have 155b/p/t.. that sounds so weak!! :(

Ziel Nurburgring
danny1 said:
Mmm Its coming back to me now astra 156.78 bhp per ton 172.... renault 172 155.61 per ton 172 is fragile and hard to work on, astra is bullet proof and easy to work on 0.60 astra 6.93 renault 6.96 both have o/100 times of 18.64. very close match cars I reckon and wheels and inserts and the astra is pretty good. Anyway nice to chat but I will not say any more on here each to their own, bye.

Not that im trying to start a 2nd discussion amoungst friends, but after catching last nights best of 5th gear and the CTR Vs. 182 shoot out, your saying the Astra would be as quick as a CTR? Good cars in the day, but it wouldnt cut it against the modern cars.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
blink172 said:
Not that im trying to start a 2nd discussion amoungst friends, but after catching last nights best of 5th gear and the CTR Vs. 182 shoot out, your saying the Astra would be as quick as a CTR? Good cars in the day, but it wouldnt cut it against the modern cars.

A std Astra GTE or GSI 16v would get murdered round the track compared to a std CTR or 182cup. The STIG would be needed to validate this, i will ask when he comes round for a mice pie. For cost of mods the Honda has by far the greater tuning potential.

Yes you can mod the astra but you can the clio:-

Engine

Astra engine std cams with throttle boddies = 210bhp (QEDetc)
Clio 172 engine std cams with throttle boddies= 212bhp (roamers)
CTR engine with Exhaust,IK and K-pro ECU = 230bhp (System-R repeatable results)

Engine gains would be similar between 182 and astra with similar mods. Astra has very high hp potential but not as much as the Honda.

Handling

STD the astra would be left behind
Modded suspension (all car the same level of mods) astra would still be left behind.

Weight

Astra prob the lightest but the clio is not a million miles away.

COST

Astra peanuts.. as they are old now, so i think that the only point it would win one really.

Lets try to be factual with any response.

Integra Type R DC5
edmy said:
kept out of this for as long as i could..
matts clio tt is awsome i had 290bhp rb5 and it wasted it, so then i went and bought a 500ftlb/450bhp skyline and it could keep up no problem! im sorry mate but the evos are fast cars but there no were near the perfomance of matts car round a track or up the strip!

as far as the strut brace is concerned wat mat is trying to say the OMP one flexes which defeats the object of a strut brace im sure u will agree.

;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
LOL @ this thread. The sleeper is fast no doubt...But i wouldn't be seen dead drivin it. Evo 6 is a masterpiece, i'd happily give up my anal virginity for one.

My main criticism of the MLR thread was the way they all seemed to jump on the bandwagon and slate the clio.
Suddenly the clio could be beaten by all of the s**t heaps owned by these supposed evo owners.

Dans dad - comparing a mediocre hot hatch from 15 years (and the rest) ago against what is considered to be one of the best current hot hatches to me means you know nothing about cars. You have obviously owned a few cars and therefore must appreaciate the advancement in many areas - brakes and handling being the obvious two.

I have owned a 205GTi which lets face it probably is considered by many to be the best hot hatch of all time. You mentioned R5 turbo also a classic hot hatch. I would never use the word classic and Vauxhall Astra in the same sentence. Vauxhall always have, and still do for that matter, struggle to build a car that can handle. They did have a s**t hot engine though just a shame the chassis wasnt up to it.

Heres a pic of a mk 2 astra, not a GTE but an SRi you get the idea though.

:dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:

Attachments

• astra j.jpg
    astra j.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 19

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
MarkM said:
My main criticism of the MLR thread was the way they all seemed to jump on the bandwagon and slate the clio.
Suddenly the clio could be beaten by all of the sh*t heaps owned by these supposed evo owners.

Dans dad - comparing a mediocre hot hatch from 15 years (and the rest) ago against what is considered to be one of the best current hot hatches to me means you know nothing about cars. You have obviously owned a few cars and therefore must appreaciate the advancement in many areas - brakes and handling being the obvious two.

I have owned a 205GTi which lets face it probably is considered by many to be the best hot hatch of all time. You mentioned R5 turbo also a classic hot hatch. I would never use the word classic and Vauxhall Astra in the same sentence. Vauxhall always have, and still do for that matter, struggle to build a car that can handle. They did have a sh*t hot engine though just a shame the chassis wasnt up to it.

All forus get protective i guess but the facts are ref (dans dads comments i think).

With the same driver..

Old ASTRA would get murdered by the mentioned CTR / 182 etc..

Old modded ASTRA would get murdered by a modded CTR / 182 etc..

I personally havent mentioned the R5 as a classic but the 205 was and same applies as above - it would get murdered in the same state of tune. Compare it against the current hot hatch

Problem is that people will always say ones better than the other because people never take driver ability into the equation...

MERCEDES CLS AMG
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
LOL @ this thread. The sleeper is fast no doubt...But i wouldn't be seen dead drivin it. Evo 6 is a masterpiece, i'd happily give up my anal virginity for one.

Its been built to look s**t thats the whole idea - what do you not get about that ?? i have spent £10k on the engine and car up to date and you can buy a f**king EVO 6 and have change from that

Besides AJR.....It takes a man to handle 400bhp in an 800kg car - not a boy

EVOgone said:
Problem is that people will always say ones better than the other because people never take driver ability into the equation...

Who said anything about driver ability? Dans dad, whats his name anyway lol, makes a sweeping statement to join in with the rest of the sheep. He was talking out of his arse.

J3ned when you are slaughtering these evo owners down the strip make sure you take plenty of vids!

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
j3ned said:
Its been built to look sh*t thats the whole idea - what do you not get about that ?? i have spent £10k on the engine and car up to date and you can buy a f**king EVO 6 and have change from that

Besides AJR.....It takes a man to handle 400bhp in an 800kg car - not a boy

Matt the superkarts produce 50.6bhp for 170kg...Need i say any more thats 60 in 2.78sec and 1/4 mile in low 11's!

"Not a boy" xxx

MERCEDES CLS AMG
AJRMOTORSPORT said:
Matt the superkarts produce 50.6bhp for 170kg...Need i say any more thats 60 in 2.78sec and 1/4 mile in low 11's!

"Not a boy" xxx

LOL - you not tell when im winding you up lol :D

( you own one of these 11 sec karts..........Get it out !!!! )

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Rarrrrr!!! you know i love it...

Yep, Not traveling down south just to woop you tho! lol.

cadwell.jpg

Not a very good pic...It's forsale btw...