ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Rota Wheels...

Ive had wheels that cost close to the value of my car on most cars ive owned tbh. Buying second hand and selling them on for what I paid for them come car change time, its a good way to invest money lol.. How does that make me a mong? more the mong for buying reps and loosing more than half there value come resale time.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Nothing wrong with Rota wheels. These are my old cars and still running them! The top one is tracked every other week for the past 2 years! Mind you all of them have seen heavy track work, No broken wheels yet...

_J1H9681.jpg

CIMG3788.jpg

CIMG1941.jpg

clio 172 phase 2
Was thinking of getting Rota spec r's, for the 172 but have been put off after reading this thread and looking at them PICS! Gonna just get some pro race or turini's now.

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Nothing wrong with Rota wheels. These are my old cars and still running them! The top one is tracked every other week for the past 2 years! Mind you all of them have seen heavy track work, No broken wheels yet...

_J1H9681.jpg

CIMG3788.jpg

CIMG1941.jpg

You win @ life.

Turbos.
Yeah, but didn't Ant also get KSport brakes "'Cos they use 'em in drifting", that form of motorsport known for its especially hard use of brakes ;)

Also, why come out with something like "Nothing wrong with Rotas...". That is like storming into the room and completely ignoring what everyone else is saying! Even if safety worries are unfounded, there is no disputing that ripping off a design is damaging to the original company. That is just a fact; without these 'faceless', 'big' corporations investing money in R&D and design, we wouldn't have awesome wheels to copy in the first place!

Let me remind you that the likes of BBS have been in administration more than once. No, not because of copycat companies, but nevertheless, it demonstrates these 'big' companies are not impervious.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Yeah, but didn't Ant also get KSport brakes "'Cos they use 'em in drifting", that form of motorsport known for its especially hard use of brakes ;) I have used Brembos, Alcon, APs, D2 and K-Sport and I can't see the difference. Not only that they don't even make a 6 pot AP setup for a E3.

Also, why come out with something like "Nothing wrong with Rotas...". That is like storming into the room and completely ignoring what everyone else is saying! Even if safety worries are unfounded, there is no disputing that ripping off a design is damaging to the original company. That is just a fact; without these 'faceless', 'big' corporations investing money in R&D and design, we wouldn't have awesome wheels to copy in the first place!

Let me remind you that the likes of BBS have been in administration more than once. No, not because of copycat companies, but nevertheless, it demonstrates these 'big' companies are not impervious.

Really and when did I exactly say that? "'Cos they use 'em in drifting" Really sounds like me dosn't it chap! Not everyone can afford the best of the best fella so maybe you should go on the MLR and express your thoughts on Rotas and K-sport brakes and see what replys you get from the guys that use them in force without issues!

The only thing I would agree with in your post is.. ;) "without these 'faceless', 'big' corporations investing money in R&D and design, we wouldn't have awesome wheels to copy in the first place"

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Really and when did I exactly say that? "'Cos they use 'em in drifting" Really sounds like me dosn't it chap! Not everyone can afford the best of the best fella so maybe you should go on the MLR and express your thoughts on Rotas and K-sport brakes and see what replys you get from the guys that use them in force without issues!

The only thing I would agree with in your post is.. ;) "without these 'faceless', 'big' corporations investing money in R&D and design, we wouldn't have awesome wheels to copy in the first place"

you are right, you didn't mention drifting you mentioned time attack! you said they use k sport in time attack! so they must be good... back then my point was they sponsor time attack and get given them to run and if they fail which trust me they do... they get free replacements!

if i was just using a car on track and every time the brakes fail i get new callipers etc free i wouldn't be too bothered either lol!

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
you are right, you didn't mention drifting you mentioned time attack! you said they use k sport in time attack! so they must be good... back then my point was they sponsor time attack and get given them to run and if they fail which trust me they do... they get free replacements!

if i was just using a car on track and every time the brakes fail i get new calipers etc free i wouldn't be too bothered either lol!

Lol fair point but proofs needed of the failures! My point is you don't see loads or any threads complaining about breakages on a forum (MLR) that alot of members use and abuse them.

All products have there limits including APs, I have warped a set of AP discs within 2000 miles at a cost of £600! Look at the Lambo on Topgear last night with 20k carbon brakes....

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I wouldn't even buy them if they were as well made as the originals, which they're not.

It's the principle of copying that I hate. Anything cloned is dogsh*t. Despite what the Driftworks lot tell you. It's amazing what sponsorship can do to your opinion.

All the people buying fakes and saying it's fine to save money. Do you wear Noke/Adidos trainers? Have an Appol iFone?

That's the same comparison. Not rice! Lol.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Lol it made me laugh when drift works did the fake nardi thing... Saying how bad they were and the are a nardi distro.... Then when people posted on the forums or on the yt vid saying but you sell rotas which are copies much like this wheel.... They deleted the posts lol....

As for proof I have personally seen a set of ksport 8pots that the calliper actually cracked lol... That enou for me to **** them off and not want to use them and express my dislike for them.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Everyone is going to have there own opinions as everyone has made clear above but that won't change the market as it's huge. Unfortunately fellas you are the minority!

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
It's totally the same thing.

If Keith? was intending upon drifting around his local shopping centre, or rallying around his local fields, then maybe the superior build quality of a genuine item would benefit him... the only other argument was because it was taking the money away from those who designed the original, in the same way that downloading digital media in certain ways takes money away from those that make it.

It's totally the same thing.

If Keith? was intending upon drifting around his local shopping centre, or rallying around his local fields, then maybe the superior build quality of a genuine item would benefit him... the only other argument was because it was taking the money away from those who designed the original, in the same way that downloading digital media in certain ways takes money away from those that make it.

But I never mentioned the original creator not getting any money.

There's plenty of companies that make products of a bad quality. The difference is copying someone else.

Do you wear designer clothes or cheap fakes? And I don't mean the difference between a Ralph Polo and one from TopMan with a pony on. I mean a Ralph Polo or one from the market with Rolph on.

Cheap copies suck. It doesn't matter what it is.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
With things like clothing, yes, but with wheels, where 99.9999999999999999% of people haven't got a god damn clue if they're fake or not, then I'm all for it.

Difference is if I pulled out an "iPhon" or had a "rolph loren" polo on, people would notice and think me a bit of a cnut, if I bought some "fake" wheels that were a style I like, all of the clunge, and all of my mates (bar about 6 angry people on here) would be like "Car looks great".

I doubt anyone would notice if you turned up in a Ralph Polo from China that cost you a fiver.

But the quality, the comfort, the feel, the wear and the fit are totally different.

182, 6r GTi
sorry but this is just like putting sport badges on non sport Clios branding something else for what its not is a dick move,

rota dont do this, i bought my rotas as rotas nothing else if the next guy wants to brand then as a volk etc its up to him

Last edited:
  Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Not that I would do this....

But lets say I bough the Rota Version of a popular wheel ,and put the Rays stickers and centre caps on, without weighing them, or checking the back, would anyone really know?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
You honestly believe all these are different with a rota wheel? It's a wheel!

Yes! Pick up a Volkswagen te37 and the copy rota make, the rays is much lighter made of different material and has a better finish.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Lol a basic example of a Tuner who builds/modifies high performance cars for a living, runs a Time Attack car, finishes in the top 5 30-130 yearly and guess what?? He runs Rotas & K-Sport brakes all round.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=240719

And time attack cars either get sponsored or massive discounts on rotas and k sports, so when they fail they get them replaced free.... Is it that f**king hard to understand lol...

If you were to replace the turbo on one of ur many evo's that you love but change more than you change ur boxers.... Would you replace with a garret etc turbo... Or an xs power turbo?

sorry but this is just like putting sport badges on non sport Clios branding something else for what its not is a dick move,

rota dont do this, i bought my rotas as rotas nothing else if the next guy wants to brand then as a volk etc its up to him

If you can't see what shameless theft of intellectual property they commit in order to sell wheels do you want me to post up some comparison shots of their blatant rip off attempts of other quality brands of wheels?

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
And time attack cars either get sponsored or massive discounts on rotas and k sports, so when they fail they get them replaced free.... Is it that f**king hard to understand lol...

If you were to replace the turbo on one of ur many evo's that you love but change more than you change ur boxers.... Would you replace with a garret etc turbo... Or an xs power turbo?

Lol not being funny lad but any company who sponsers a car replaces failed parts to include suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. That's the point of a Sponser!

And another point Gary uses what works for him not what saves him the most £££

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Also Volk wheels have the Volk stamp on the wheel between the spokes so yes you can tell.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Tesco's make their own food by copying the original. This is fact.

Shall we all boycott tesco's?

No?

Lol is that the best you can bring to this agrument?

Sorry I guess Rota's being made of cheap s**t metal is a trivial matter then? Yet you've basically admitted you've bought them because they are cheap and you like the look so effectively a poser given the OEM wheels you will have taken off will be better made. Each to their own.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Are £400's worth of team dynamics going to be better made than £400's worth of rotas? Both similar prices, both round things you stick rubber on, yet no one worries about the quality of team dynamics...

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Lol not being funny lad but any company who sponsers a car replaces failed parts to include suspension, wheels, brakes, etc. That's the point of a Sponser!

Not being funny lad, but don't bring time attack in to it then u fool!!! You can't use something that gets the parts for free compared to road use... If that's the case... Jgtc most cars run rays wheels and Alcon or ap brakes.... But time attack is better right??? Time attack in other countries don't use rota or kshit don't be such a t**t that just because u bought it that makes it ok lol...

Time attack in the uk won't advertise how many wheels and calipers and shocks they go through and in what space of time....

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Are £400's worth of team dynamics going to be better made than £400's worth of rotas? Both similar prices, both round things you stick rubber on, yet no one worries about the quality of team dynamics...

No they are equally as s**t. But! They don't copy other companies!!!

Hondata'd EP3 Type R
Given Ants car history, Im doubting the fact he had Rotas was down to Finances, he spends more on turbos than we spend n Cars ;)