ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Get mine in about a week! Can't wait. I shall truly miss my trusty note4 by the best phone I've ever owned. Power house even 2 years after purchase.

Howell

ClioSport Club Member
  172, Crafter, A3
i was looking at upgrading the iphone 7 but after seeing how much EE wanted they can jog on!

£56pm for the 7 and £66 for the 7 plus!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How you guys finding your note 7's? Seems the iphone 7 smashes them on performance.
I haven't seen the test, but given that the tabloids are all over it makes me sceptical.

The Note7 is not a slow phone and it's totally possible that the tests performed suited the architecture of the iPhone better than the Note (could even be iOS vs Android).

One thing that is slow about the Note is restarting, but mine was fucked so it is perhaps not the best anecdote.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
As far as my phone. I going without a personal phone for more weeks was more hassle than it's worth as I might be globetrotting come next week.

Bought a Moto G4 Plus. It's actually brilliant. Screen is obviously no where near the quality of the Note7, and it's missing a few features (nothing major though, only 2 things that bother me so far is the non-reversible USB slot and no night mode). But for £200 you really can't complain and it makes me wonder whether I actually need a flagship phone at all. The Note is certainly not £500 better (for my needs) that's for sure.

Fingerprint reader on this thing is brilliant too. Better than the Samsung if anything. It works instantly every time (so far).

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I haven't seen the test, but given that the tabloids are all over it makes me sceptical.

The Note7 is not a slow phone and it's totally possible that the tests performed suited the architecture of the iPhone better than the Note (could even be iOS vs Android).

One thing that is slow about the Note is restarting, but mine was fucked so it is perhaps not the best anecdote.
Considering I've had a note 4 and it's been faultless and still "quick" I am sceptical. There does seem to be a lot of back to back reviews showing the note as considerably slower although I suspect even if it is, it wont be really noticeable.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I only do Youtube/web browsing and messaging apps. But it was instant with everything I asked of it. Including camera (which is another good thing about the Note7).

Muiltitasking is a brilliant feature too. Have a Youtube vid, or Plex streaming whilst being able to send Whatsapp messages etc is brilliant. But that'll be on all Android phones when they get the Android 7 update.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
How you guys finding your note 7's? Seems the iphone 7 smashes them on performance.

My original Note 7 was fast. I never had any lag issues or the like with mine. Yesterday morning I awoke to the phone having completed an update (Safe ones get a green battery icon now as opposed to white) and this one is now very very snappy (not that it was slow to begin with).

Quite a few people are reporting speed increases since the last update.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I only do Youtube/web browsing and messaging apps. But it was instant with everything I asked of it. Including camera (which is another good thing about the Note7).

Muiltitasking is a brilliant feature too. Have a Youtube vid, or Plex streaming whilst being able to send Whatsapp messages etc is brilliant. But that'll be on all Android phones when they get the Android 7 update.
The note 4 has that feature too and our usage is pretty much the same. I certainly don't do much more than browse the web, text and take pics.

My original Note 7 was fast. I never had any lag issues or the like with mine. Yesterday morning I awoke to the phone having completed an update (Safe ones get a green battery icon now as opposed to white) and this one is now very very snappy (not that it was slow to begin with).

Quite a few people are reporting speed increases since the last update.
That's what I like to hear. I suspect I'd miss the freedom of android although I'm not fan boy of either Android or Apple. I just cant fault the note 4 I've had. It's been perfect for two years.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Most of the speedtests I watched the note 7 was ahead in everything bar gaming bit that's always the same due the ram and core set up of the iPhone.

The camera however is well above it. Especially on video and sound.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Most of the speedtests I watched the note 7 was ahead in everything bar gaming bit that's always the same due the ram and core set up of the iPhone.

The camera however is well above it. Especially on video and sound.
It's not well above it, at all. It's slightly better across the board, but then the iPhone has optical zoom, which is a massive plus.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
The OIS will never work well when it's zoomed in like that so it shouldn't be comparable. When they were the similar focal length they were pretty even.

The note looks a better camera overall tbh and the audio quality of the iPhone was really poor when switching between the two.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
The x2 lens on the iPhone doesn't have IOS at all, and has a F2.8 lens (or there abouts) instead of the f1.8 lens so its quality will be considerably lower.

I do really like the cameras on Samsung phones.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Holy s**t iPhone killed it.

Can anyone with a lets say... 2016 phone, tell me how long it takes them to load up CSR Racing 2? I want to love this game, but when loading it up whilst I'm having a s**t (being honest, that's when I do 95% of my iPhone gaming) it takes 57 seconds to load to the home screen on my iPhone 6! Can't be dealing with that (literally just timed it)

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Holy s**t iPhone killed it.

Can anyone with a lets say... 2016 phone, tell me how long it takes them to load up CSR Racing 2? I want to love this game, but when loading it up whilst I'm having a s**t (being honest, that's when I do 95% of my iPhone gaming) it takes 57 seconds to load to the home screen on my iPhone 6! Can't be dealing with that (literally just timed it)
25 seconds on my Note 7.

Darryl_1983

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182 Cup
Had my OnePlus 3 for a week now, and I'm pretty happy with it. Was tempted by the s7/edge and note 7, but didn't want to lose too much screen size coming from a nexus 6. In the end the only options really were the note 7 or the edge, and both were quite a big more expensive for marginal performance increase if any at all. Really the only noticeable difference I think I'd notice would be the camera quality, my wife's s7 is definitely slightly better.

Also I don't like the curved screens.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I'm not a fan of the curved screen in practice.

It's really nice to look at, and feels very nice to hold, much nicer phone to hold than phones with flat screens. However I found that when holding it with one hand, sometimes some skin from my hand would touch the edge bit of the screen and then the screen wouldn't take any more commands from my fingers (on certain apps). Tres annoying.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
How are your Notes getting on? @gally @N0ddie

My Moto is noticeably slower and the camera is pretty wack too. Going to see what the scoop is with the new Google phones tomorrow but most roads point to Note I think. Epic camera, epic screen, all the features (waterproof, wireless charging etc etc etc). Just a shame about the quality control problems they've had. It's not been on sale for nearly a month on their website now. That must be financially devastating for them.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Still loving it. Camera really is excellent.

Phone itself is very snappy. Fingerprint sensor is insanely fast as is the Iris scanner (Provided its looking at your eyes).

Downloaded Nova Launcher at the weekend so have started farting about with customising the phone. Dont really need to a the standard Touchwiz skin is amasing.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Had my Nexus 6p back for a second time after noticing spots on the images.
First time they replaced the outside of the lens, no different. Just come back again with a new camera unit and its like new.

This will do until next year when I might consider a Samsung phone depending on the bloat wear that they install, I've heard its not as bad as it used to be, otherwise it'll probably be the new Google phone.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I can't decide whether just to leave the stock launcher on it or install my nova premium which is awesome and can create stock android.

I haven't got mine yet because of the exchange so none for sale yet in Europe through Vodafone.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I can't decide whether just to leave the stock launcher on it or install my nova premium which is awesome and can create stock android.

I haven't got mine yet because of the exchange so none for sale yet in Europe through Vodafone.
I've used nova on all premium phones, haven't bothered with the s7. Works well standard.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I put a few launchers on my note 4 last night to test them and still went back to touchwiz. It really isn't bad now imo.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Because you can change design aswel... I think i'll stay samsung. I will make it look stock as I done with my Note4.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone else looking forward to see what Google have to offer later today?

The 6P is undoubtedly the best Nexus phone there has so not a bad way for the Nexus line to go out. Wonder what the new pixel phones will be like.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I wasn't too taken away with it if i'm honest. Should be good but looks average. The previous incarnations were pretty cool, especially the 6P which was the best so far.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Comparing prices to Samsung and Apple now.

I'll have a look at the the specs later but my mate said that the camera is rated better than the iPhone 7 (although I'd prefer to see it benched against the Note)

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
What are people paying for the iPhone 6/s etc? Will probably end up with one in the next few weeks.