ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

The New Phone Thread

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
What were the specs like? I've not caught up with it yet as I've been driving.

I was holding out swapping my nexus 5 until this was announced

Comparing prices to Samsung and Apple now.

I'll have a look at the the specs later but my mate said that the camera is rated better than the iPhone 7 (although I'd prefer to see it benched against the Note)

5in full HD amoled and 5.5in quad HD amoled
Both 4gb ram
32gb or 128gb storage
12mp camera which has been given the highest rating of any phone camera by dxo mark
2700mah ish battery for the 5in and 3400mah ish for the 5.5in

Both the same phone really apart from the screen and battery

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Well..... i've gone for the Pixel 5in in black with 32gb. I don't need the storage space really and the photos is cloud based anyway with unlimited space.

See how it compares to my 6P.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure why you wouldn't, both phones share everything bar size and the normal one is very small for today's phones.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Comparing prices to Samsung and Apple now.

I'll have a look at the the specs later but my mate said that the camera is rated better than the iPhone 7 (although I'd prefer to see it benched against the Note)
The guys Google quoted as saying it was the best camera on a smartphone ever (dxomark.com) say:
Note 7: 88
iPhone 7: 86
Pixel: 89

Pixel specs look very good indeed. They are flagship phones and are priced as such. Can they compete with iPhone? I would sooner pay £800 for something from Google than Apple personally. But I am just a bit disappointed they didn't include wireless charging. It really is a brilliant feature on Google phones.

I have preordered the big one but I am currently thinking I'll just get another Note.

VR looks very well done if it works as well as they say. But again a bit of a gimmick I think. If you really cared about a good VR experience you'd buy the Vive.

aucky

ClioSport Club Member
My mate has just got the new Motorola Moto Z. Seems pretty cool with some clever features such as snap on hardware such as high quality camera lenses, speaker, image projector, battery, and a turbo charge mode. up to 8hrs in 15mins apparently.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The droid one or something has an almost 2 day charge with use. Can remember which moto it was but it's a new one.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
The more I see the less i'm impressed. Design hadn to be better!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It looks great tbh. Couple of things I guess are missing, I really like the wireless charging and always on display on the Note and as much as I want another, I don't think Samsung deserve money for their s**t QC.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm I'm undecided. It's probably the best looking phone I've ever seen.

I will wait another 30 days, maybe longer Vodafone dependant. By then more kinks may have been found and if the new batteries are faulty it will be Note 5 or S7 edge. I'd rather a note 5 as I hate buying dated phones I want new and future proof for a bit. I'd rather buy cheap note 5 and sim free or keep the note 4 although I want to upgrade camera and Emma's s6 edge blows my Note 4 out the water.

Who knows. Next few weeks will determine whether they have fixed this problem. Still strange that the battery is smaller than S7 yet it's having all these problems.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yep, it is fantastic looking.

The back being glass is a bit delicate by the looks of things- but I wouldn't not get one for that alone. The curved screen is a PITA because if you grip it with one hand you can end up holding the screen with the edge of your hand and on certain apps or screens it wouldn't register my thumb presses.

The hardware is awesome apart from the QC issues (mine didn't have the battery fault, just crashed constantly!). I want to like the Pixel XL or the iPhone Plus more, but the Samsung holds its own on paper.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I definitely wouldn't consider pixel but probably from design alone. The new LG is nice again probably wouldn't own. Note 5, 6P are cheap and still up to date to a point.

Then the S7 edge which is pretty epic on the whole, especially if you don't mind a smaller screen, very good phone with a few tweaks. I'd consider it.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Well after 2 years of being perfect my Note 4 is playing silly buggers and keeps restarting with a DDI error or something. Tried factory reset and it's still happening.
I want a Note 7. Any ideas when they're likely to be available again?

Honda. Tesla Someday
Well after 2 years of being perfect my Note 4 is playing silly buggers and keeps restarting with a DDI error or something. Tried factory reset and it's still happening.
I want a Note 7. Any ideas when they're likely to be available again?
Seeing as the Note 7 has continued to catch fire even after the recall (new devices marked "safe" by Samsung still catching fire) - lots of carriers in the US have ceased supporting or offering it full stop.

Might be a bit of a wait imo!!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Seeing as the Note 7 has continued to catch fire even after the recall (new devices marked "safe" by Samsung still catching fire) - lots of carriers in the US have ceased supporting or offering it full stop.

Might be a bit of a wait imo!!
Well that's rubbish. I really don't know what else I'd have.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I can really see a 2nd recall on the cards for the Note 7s. Disappointing as there is currently no other phone I'm interested in.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I can really see a 2nd recall on the cards for the Note 7s. Disappointing as there is currently no other phone I'm interested in.
What issues are you getting now mate? I've loved my 4 and all I'd really want is a 7. Providing it works.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I'm not having any issues with my Note 7 at present. However, it seems that every other day brings yet more reports of "safe" Note 7s bursting into flames. Samsung have also apparently stopped production of the phone so they can concentrate on resolving the battery issues.

I love the phone tbh. Camera is superb and its so quick.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
That's going to cost Sammy a lot of money. Such a shame as its all I really wanted.
The pixel just doesn't float my boat. It looks cheap whilst not being cheap. Not like the google phones of old.

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
f**k sake! I'm actually gutted about that! Sales were meant to have been insane and probably out on a limb... the best phone ever made to date. Gutted! Might buy a note 5 for a bit! f**k saaaaake!

There will be loads who won't return their 7 and hope for the best probably.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I might just buy a oneplus three until something else comes out that takes my fancy. I'd keep the note 4 but its playing silly buggers. But then it is insured..

BMW M4; S1000 RR
f**k sake! I'm actually gutted about that! Sales were meant to have been insane and probably out on a limb... the best phone ever made to date. Gutted! Might buy a note 5 for a bit! f**k saaaaake!

There will be loads who won't return their 7 and hope for the best probably.
Best phone ever? Are you just going from reviews and ignoring the news per chance?

I had one and can confirm it is a nice phone. But not without its flaws. Mine was buggered though, just a defective handset. Normally I would just have exchanged it for a new one but the internet is plagued with reports of the same thing happening to others (bricked phones being unusable and that's ignoring the exploding thing).

Definitely not the best phone to date. It was Samsung being Samsung IMO. Coming up with all the right ideas but doing it on the cheap. This time it caught them out as it's riddled with issues.

A company like that needs taking down a peg or two IMO. Hopefully they'll take it on the chin and make sure they do a proper job next time.

The curved screen is nice in theory but in practice it's annoying to use. Wireless charging is good but at the cost of having a glass back that is quite delicate.

The fingerprint reader was honestly guff. Nowhere near as reliable as iPhone or even the Moto G4 I have at the moment.

Pixel phone will hopefully be done properly. The fingerprint reader being on the back is my only qualm with it. Soft buttons for home/back etc are the way forward. Along with metal edges. Scratches look better than cracks.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Surprised you say that about the finger print reader? It's perfect on the N4. Never once had a issue. Anyway, its not going to be a problem for anyone now. 😂

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
My mate has just informed me that Vodafone won't be selling the Pixel, which means no stupidly cheap deal for me :(