ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£1.99 steering wheel retrim

RenaultSport clio 182
My newly acquired ph1 had the usual decaying steering wheel but forking out ££ for a proper retrim is not anywhere near the top of the priority list so I had a look on eBay and found this...

afa8e0daae9402d017d3ce8658c3a725.jpg

After waiting the usual weeks for anything from China it arrived and after an hours work my wheel now looks like this...

d6cb72d7860d7f93c9dea37ae09735bd.jpg

Not perfect but a massive improvement and well worth £1.99. It is real leather and has a thin foam backing. Fits over your existing leather and gives the wheel a slightly padded and chunky feel.

Thought I should share it as there must be loads of people on here in a similar boat. Probably wouldn't work as well on a ph2 but that's just one more advantage of having a ph1...[emoji3]

RenaultSport clio 182
Not massively good at sewing. I watched a YouTube video of some guy re trimming BMW M Sport steering wheels to understanding how to do the stitching!! It's more like lacing the stitching already in the cover together than actual stitching.

RenaultSport clio 182
Nothing to loose. They come in smooth leather too but I get sweaty hands when pushing on....

RenaultSport clio 182
All instructions are in Chinese... Watch this video first...not all of it cos it's stupidly long but will give you the gist.

RenaultSport clio 182
It's a pre sewn loop though so adjusting it would involve some actual sewing...they come in different sizes. Mine was medium.

RenaultSport clio 182
I disagree. It looks no better than a steering wheel cover IMO but takes more effort to do.

I can see where you are coming from on this. After all it is a steering wheel cover. My steering wheel was literally falling apart all over my hands every time I drove so I needed to do something. For me the advantage over a normal steering wheel cover is that it doesn't feel like one. It's way thinner and closes all the way round. For me it's a short term solution.

Listerine & Poledo
I like the touch of having cows on the "packaging"

just to rubber stamp what the fabric is supposed to be made of XD

Well, after an hour and a very painful back here is my result. With all interior mods I have to see if I can live with it for a week before I'll keep it. But to be honest for £1.99 I can just rip it off.

image.jpg

Reactions: Gus
  Listerine & Poledo
Given that I chucked a load of money into a proper wheel refurb only to shunt the car about 5 months later, this looks like a brilliant solution to the OEM issue if you're not planning to hold onto the car until the end of time.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It only really looks crap where it joins on to the wheel... but I don't know if I could do it. Good for the money, but a retrim was the first and still one of the best things I ever done to my Clio.

RenaultSport clio 182
Good work. Seems to be a bit more loose material on yours than mine but i guess there are umpteen companies selling basically the same thing...i can live with mine for now cos the wheel underneath was terrible. When i have the time i am going to try and properly DIY refurb a wheel. I've found this thread on another forum which makes it look like an acceptable challenge to attempt when i have some spare time and a spare ph1 wheel...
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...Re-Do-Your-e36-3-Spoke-Steering-Wheel-Leather

To be honest mate I think there is so much loose material because of my s**t stitching. Could have done a better job if i could have been bothered doing it! I've got a spare wheel that will be off to Snappy when I can afford it!