ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£10k to spend. 197?

Lotus Elise S1, by far a better car then any of those stated if you don't mind giving up on a few comforts.
If you like sports car don't ingore the MX5, I know they have not got a hardcore image, but better handling than a S2000, and insurance friendly, around group 12-13.

S3, Polo
Lotus Elise S1, by far a better car then any of those stated if you don't mind giving up on a few comforts.

Having owned an S2000 and still own an S1 Elise, I feel qualified to comment on your post.

"Giving up on a few comforts" - If the OP is happy not having:
- carpet
- a heater that de-mists the windscreen
- a stereo that you can hear above the road noise
- no carrying capacity for even weekend breaks (other than spare pants and a toothbrush)
- A reliable engine (ok after some expensive, preventative measures!)
- The list goes on...

But the above are not why most people buy this type of car. Few would have one as a daily, year-round driver!

...don't ingore the MX5, I know they have not got a hardcore image, but better handling than a S2000...

You've not driven either, have you? If you had, you'd realise you were talking drivel. :dead:

Out of the box, the 1.8 mk2 (for instance) is very softly-set up - with comparatively large amounts of body roll - but is nicely balanced on the limit. Perfect for a novice and a good base for a track car. It's also very small in the cabin for anyone c. 6ft tall.

The S2k has LOTS of mechanical grip and a firm setup. It's also less forgiving to the novice than an MX-5, and will bite if you take the pi$$.

To summarise: The S is definitely a more handling-orientated car than an MX-5. It's also way more hardcore, and will - and does - throw idiots off the road for thinking they have the measure of it - - - - - hence the high insurance group.

HTH :)

Yes, owned an Elise for 4 years and an MX5 for 2, both used everyday, rains, shine, snow, not Garage jewellery.

What are you on about, how many reviews have you read where and S2000 has been praised for its handling, unlike the two cars already stated, lift of oversteer anyone, no low down torque.

Yes an S2000 is harder riding, but not better handling, there is a difference, I did not state that it wasn't, you want to get your facts correct before shooting people down.:mad:

Drivel that is a laugh.

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
there is an 07 r26 on pheads for 9.5k, id get that.
Failing that the st3 but at 10 k it will be a dog/high miler or both.
Doubt the s2000 will be any good for an every day car.

This Elise twaddle makes me laugh, 10k for a 8 year old car thats powered by a k series, ill give that a miss.

there is an 07 r26 on pheads for 9.5k, id get that.
Failing that the st3 but at 10 k it will be a dog/high miler or both.
Doubt the s2000 will be any good for an every day car.

This Elise twaddle makes me laugh, 10k for a 8 year old car thats powered by a k series, ill give that a miss.

You will be lucky to find an R26 for less than 10k, that one is on a V car.

More like 12k. A bit over budget.

You could get a good 225 or an F1 though, nice car.

S3, Polo
...how many reviews have you read where and S2000 has been praised for its handling, unlike the two cars already stated, lift of oversteer anyone, no low down torque.

Yes an S2000 is harder riding, but not better handling, there is a difference, I did not state that it wasn't, you want to get your facts correct before shooting people down.:mad:

I wasn't shooting you down, just correcting what I believed to be wrong. The Elise is not the best all-round daily driver, agreed?

Now, re: the MX-5 vs. S2000 debacle.

I understand the handling/ hard riding argument, thanks for clearing that up for readers who may not know, though!

To me, the MX-5 leaves the factory as a soggy, understeer-prone, under-powered, 'little' car. With a few choice modifications, I gather that they can be very capable - don't get me wrong! An ex-girlfriend and I bought a now-sold-but-new-in-2004 MX5 'Euphoria' - maybe ours was an exception to the rule? :S

The S is not the handling holy grail - far from it - I'm not contesting that, but out of the box it is a better car at going fast around a given track/ road than an MX-5. Let's not mention power (no contest) but levels of grip and body control were, to my mind far superior to the MX.

In the dry.

In the wet the peaky power delivery, rubbish stock tyres, light-ish weight and an LSD make for an 'interesting' journey, shall we say...

The AP1 (1999-2003 variant, which I owned) is a much less forgiving car than the Mk2 MX, with some dynamic flaws (ie - too stiffly setup for UK roads).

With T1-R's on OE wheels and OE suspension, plus a Spoon X-Brace, running 36psi front, 34psi rear cold pressures - I rarely saw understeer and oversteer was very controllable!?

Lift-off oversteer? I never experienced it TBH - maybe symptomatic of the stiff rear ARB setup? Could be people driving outside of their abilities? I don't know...

FWIW - Handling-wise, the Elise is in a different league, hence me not questioning that! :) However, as a daily - they are very expensive bang for buck.

M2 Competition
Having owned an S2000 and still own an S1 Elise, I feel qualified to comment on your post.

"Giving up on a few comforts" - If the OP is happy not having:
- carpet
- a heater that de-mists the windscreen
- a stereo that you can hear above the road noise
- no carrying capacity for even weekend breaks (other than spare pants and a toothbrush)
- A reliable engine (ok after some expensive, preventative measures!)
- The list goes on...

But the above are not why most people buy this type of car. Few would have one as a daily, year-round driver!

You've not driven either, have you? If you had, you'd realise you were talking drivel. :dead:

Out of the box, the 1.8 mk2 (for instance) is very softly-set up - with comparatively large amounts of body roll - but is nicely balanced on the limit. Perfect for a novice and a good base for a track car. It's also very small in the cabin for anyone c. 6ft tall.

The S2k has LOTS of mechanical grip and a firm setup. It's also less forgiving to the novice than an MX-5, and will bite if you take the pi$$.

To summarise: The S is definitely a more handling-orientated car than an MX-5. It's also way more hardcore, and will - and does - throw idiots off the road for thinking they have the measure of it - - - - - hence the high insurance group.

HTH :)

S2000 is tiny inside, from experience im sure mx5 has more room.

172 Cup
bugatti-blue-centenaire-live_14_opt.jpg

Did I go too far?

S3, Polo
S2000 is tiny inside, from experience im sure mx5 has more room.

^ No, really - it doesn [FONT=&quot]'[/FONT]t.

I'm 6'1 and although snug, the S2k had ample leg-room and a comfortable distance for reach. If pressed, I would have been a touch more comfy with a greater range of seat movement.

In the MX my hands would foul against my legs when turning tight corners. I felt I couldn't get far enough away from the wheel to be comfortable.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
  ST3 8.5
Last yr i had a 1.8 sport for 5 months & absolutley loved it.
When you consider i had, had a trophy for 3yrs the MX5 was pure fun.
Gearbox was a dream, sitting position perfect.
Not the quickest but for pure feedback excellent.
They are also bullet proof & almost 0 depreciation.
Would have one anytime.
Sorted they are emense on track:D

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Revised gear box is no different to the original, probably looking at 200 rpm difference in 5th and 6th. (if that) you'd be pushed to notice between the two cars tbh.....Its not stronger or anything......

Buy mine for 8k, only down the road too ;)