ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

06 Albi Blue 197

Clio 197
Cheers, no real plans, the inlet temps on this seem very high compared with the FRP engine, so I might use some heat wrap on the inlet pipework to see if I can reduce those a bit. I would like to smarten up my brakes, but doing it properly (strip down, powder coat, rebuild) is quite a big job, so not sure if / when that will get done. Next thing is to actually get the other set of wheels refurbished, then I can get my tyre pressure monitors fitted.

Clio 197
Mini update, though no pics yet.

Fitted some silicon hoses, also fitted a footrest - cheated with that though as I hacksawed off most of the protruding rivets and just fixed it in place with the velcro that was already on the back, looks good though!

I have also just bought some used two piece AP discs, which came with some DS2500 pads; while they are a bit worn, I might give them a try if only to see how the DS2500's compare to standard. Also got some black speedlines with 888's on them, and have booked my first track day at Cadwell, so v. excited about that, just hope it stays dry, otherwise the Conti's will get a pounding.

Pics soon!

Clio 197
2010-08-09001.jpg

Stack of Speedlines, w/888's, and a couple of spare standard wheels

2010-08-09002.jpg

Two piece grooved discs

Car sailed through the MoT yesterday, unfortunately the garage was busy, so I didn't get chance to get the discs fitted or exhaust aligned any better, but hope to get that done next time.

On the way home I dropped some wheels off for powder coating, and have high hopes for the results!

Clio 197
Went and collected my powder coated wheels yesterday, really nice job, definately recommend LSN Coatings in Castleford. I will probably also get my inlet coated once I have had some work done on it, not sure what colour though, possibly anthracite.

Anyhow, here are the wheels after a coat of Auto Glym SRP, and with the TPMS sensors fitted;

2010-08-25007.jpg

2010-08-25001.jpg

2010-08-25008.jpg

Hoping to get these fitted over the next couple of days. Not quite worked out where to put the display for the TPMS yet, but I am pondering it.

Booked on a track evening next week, so I really want to get the new discs on, ideally with some hotter pads. To this end I have ordered another brake consumables kit (anti-rattle clip & two retaining pins), along with some spare bleed nipples, and also some more (anthracite) centre caps to go on my (black) Speedlines.

Clio 197
So, my preferred tyre place (who want £20/wheel to swap my tyres over) don't like refurbished wheels until they are two weeks old, which is disappointing, and means I need to find somewhere safe to put them for the next week. Fortunately someone is hopefully collecting my Puma Recaro's over the weekend, so I should be able to make some spare in a spare room or somewhere.

Given that the little car isn't going to be going anywhere between now and next Thursday, I decided to stick my Speedlines on in preparation for next weeks track evening, I am now pondering leaving the standard discs on for the time being and getting the bells on the AP's powder coated, but I'm not sure what colour to go for, and don't want to warp the standard discs as they will be going back on when I sell up.

Topically given some of the recent posts, when my small child was helping me to fit the anthracite centres to the black Speedlines, she asked me "Daddy, why are these the wrong colour?" perhaps a question for Renault?

I have only driven a mile or so on the 888's, but they seems to transmit more surface vibration, which I guess is to be expected.

Need to give the car a wash, and when we have some daylight I will take some pics. It does look strangely good with the black Speedlines though, would look better with a 200 / gloss black 197 diffuser though.

Excuse the dirty car, and poor quality pics, but I really like these wheels!

I wasn't a fan previously, but they look great!

2010-08-27001a.jpg

2010-08-27002a.jpg

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Love it, reminds me of mine (regret the day I sold it, in fact I think about it every day flol!!) :(

DSC04410.jpg

I resprayed my caps with Halfords satin black, was a good match!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Nope, too early, pretty much the same spec as yours by the looks of things!

Added H&R Coilovers, and the speedlines. Painted the brembo's red, nice and o.e looking :)

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I took them off, and sprayed them, very good fnish. Dont brush them, will look w**k lol.

Would be better to powder coat, maybe source some off ebay to send off etc..........?

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Well yeah got my mate to remove them, then sprayed them up over one weekend. Removed the calipers, primered up etc. :)

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Pistons stayed in, masked up the seals etc. Removed the nipples and fitted some 'blanks' steve from Brichdown made, so not to contaminate the chambers. Also left the link pipe on as they are red from Renault :)

Then we refitted/bled etc, left the a fortnight to cure whilst using the car, then reapplied the decals

brakes3.jpg

Primered,

brakes2.jpg

About 50 coats of smooth red

brakes6.jpg

Refitted,

brakes8.jpg

Finished

29032008080.jpg

Did the rears also to match. With painting they can chip is knocked by a wheel, i just touched up to suit. Powdercoating is much more durable

Last edited:

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Added some pics for you, i actually masked up the link pipe on mine by the looks of things!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
No problem!

I just used hammerite primer, then smooth red....... i takes alot of coats of the red to get a uniform finish though, so be patient! I didnt laquar, and the finish did dull after time, but was brought back with some SRP. Adding a clear coat would help that though imo

Clio 197
Hello again!

R888's for track use only, too expensive for day-to-day use, no good in standing water, can't have punctures repaired, and too noisy around town. Sticking with Conti's in Raiders for day-to-day.

Clio 197
So nothing especially exciting to report, but I have just fitted an auto-dim mirror from a Laguna 2, which was pretty straightforward, also took the opportunity to hard wire the TPMS display, phone cradle, and prepared for a nav unit.

Couple of pics from my recce to Buttertubs on my way back from Glasgow yesterday;

2010-10-15002a.jpg

2010-10-15001a.jpg

TPMS now hard wired;

2010-10-16003.jpg

Phone cradle with the wiring now tucked away;

2010-10-16004.jpg

And a couple of the auto-dim mirror;

2010-10-16005.jpg

2010-10-16006a.jpg

The car is absolutely filthy at the moment, it hasn't been washed for ages (work on house, holiday, week away on a job, etc.), so please don't judge from the pics!

Also as I knew I would be ferrying two colleagues around this week, I removed the boot tray thing, which really helped the versatility of the boot, especially with the full sized spare, so I don't think that will be going back in, for now at least.

Also I rewired the car kit, using the ISO plugs tucked away behind the head unit, rather than running the whole lot under the drivers seat, and back. The only additional wires that now go to the tuner part are the mute wire, and the four line-in wires, which makes it much neater.

Still really like this car, I have a few minor revisions to make over the coming weeks, GPS mount, and the odd rattle to pin down, but nonetheless, it is a brilliant little car.

Clio 197
I haven't updated this for a while, and though nothing significant has happened, there have been some minor developments;

I got some Pioneer custom fit components for the front;

2010-10-25.jpg

they have now been in for a couple of months, and are fine, but if I was doing it again I wouldn't bother, if only as replacement tweeter covers are £45 each if (when) you break one removing the original tweeters.

Managed to leave one of my key cards in my jeans the other day, I was only alterted to it by my wife questioning the knocking noise from the dryer - miraculously though it still seemed to work, which I think was a bonus and has saved me some messing about.

I have a second inlet manifold which was port matched by APD a couple of months ago. Unfortunately when I received it back the vac nipple by the TB was badly bent and cracked, and snapped off when I tried to straighten it, I sent it back to Craig and am hoping to get it back this week.

On the subject of the manifold, I am planning on getting it powder coated, and am open to suggestions, I am currently torn between anthracite, bright red, or a bright / candy blue? While I obviously want it to look good under the bonnet (with blue silicon hoses), I don't want to limit it's appeal when I put the car back to standard and come to sell it (the inlet). Also I am not planning on getting the lower inlet coated as you can barely see it, does this sound sensible, or cheap?

Finally, in preparation for all of this, I set to removing the "Renault Sport" badge today, as follows;

Fan assisted oven @ 200C for 10min, then carefully remove using a wallpaper scraper. Once cooled, removed adhesive by rubbing, using brake cleaner to soften.

It has come off very well, and should be fine to refit once the manifold is powder coated.

Pics;

2010-11-09001.jpg

inlet with badge removed

2010-11-09009.jpg

upper and lower

2010-11-09008.jpg

gasket on lower

2010-11-09007.jpg

gasket on upper

2010-11-09010.jpg

PTFE Vs OE gasket

2010-11-09011.jpg

PTFE Vs. inlet to head mating face

Of course these pics would mean more when compared with an unmodified mani, but those pics will have to wait.

The PTFE gaskets seem to have mixed reviews, but I have to replace it anyway, so it isn't any extra work.

Couple of weeks ago I made some rally style mudflaps for the front of the car, started off with some 4mm black rally flap material, made a template using cardboard, and fited into place using two self-tappers, the original screw for the liner, and two Ford mudflap clamps that I had knocking around.

2010-11-26001.jpg

2010-11-26002.jpg

2010-11-26003.jpg

2010-11-26004.jpg

2010-11-26005.jpg

2010-11-26006.jpg

2010-11-26007.jpg

2010-11-26008.jpg

2010-11-26009.jpg

If I am critical, I haven't quite got the angle right, the bottom corner sticks out a touch too far, but at this time of year that is no great problem, I will probably give them a tweek at some point. Good news is that both came out of a single piece of rally flap material, so I have some left to have a crack at the rears.

The latest news (from today) is that the little car got its first drive for about a week today, took it to the RR day at RS Tuning. The results were probably about what I expected @ 176.4BHP, I would have liked 180+, but can't really complain, the curve was relatively smooth, and the car is quick enough to drive, so at the end of the day it is just a number.

I saw 2 200's get tried, one made 181, the other 191 (interestingly with it's airbox lid removed?), so my 176 isn't too bad. I plan on taking it back when I have had the APD inlets fitted, to see if they make any difference. I think a couple more 197's rolled in just as I was leaving, so it would be interesting to know what they made.

I will get the graphs scanned on Monday, but in the meantime here are a couple of (rather poor Blackberry) pics of the car on the rollers;

2010-12-04002a.jpg

2010-12-04003.jpg

Clio 197
Thanks, and I know what you mean about the mudflaps, but they serve a purpose at this time of year, I would prefer something more OE, but there isn't anything available really.

Clio 197
So yours is 10% down, and mine is 11% down...

It was only 5 BHP down on another 197 and 8 BHP down on one of the two 200's, plus there is nothing apparently wrong with it from the curve. I am going to get the oil changed, along with the sparks, fit the new inlet and run it on 99RON, and see if I get a better result.

Clio 197
Drives really well, I really like this car. If anyone has any ideas as to why it is down though, I would love to hear them!

Clio 197
Cheers, car was wonderful on track. I have a spare set of R888's now so I plan to be back in the spring!

RE: Fuel, it says 95 or 98 on the fuel flap, I generally use Sainsbury's 97 as it is readily available and cheap, but will be looking to try VPower for a while I think.

Skoda fabia Vrs
Mine says the same and i Never use anything but 95ron. Might try it but doubt it makes a difference to be seen!

Clio 197
Update time!

There was a queue outside the carpark after work one night, so while I was waiting I decided to try taking some dodgy pics;

2010-12-10009a.jpg

2010-12-10010.jpg

These are the best of a bad lot, really need a better camera (and perhaps a better photographer...) for this kind of thing.

Changed my spark plugs, great service from Opie Oils for the new ones, think they cost just over £37.

The car had a 72k service in May, around 6,500 miles ago, shortly before I got it, which apparently included plugs, however these bad boys look older than that...

2010-12-12001.jpg

2010-12-12002.jpg

To be fair it was driving ok with the old plugs, but they may have contributed to it being a bit under power on the RR.

After change the plugs, I visited the garage, planning on doing an oil & filter, and finally getting around to fitting my APD inlet manifold. Also wanted to remove a redundant resonator.

Firstly I had quite a job getting out of my road, due to the light dusting of snow overnight.

Cutting to the chase, I didn’t leave in my car; only two things went wrong, but one of them is more expensive that I had expected!

1. Trying to remove the MAP sensor from the original inlet, I managed to snap off the flange, which was rather annoying, especially as a new MAP sensor is around £90! Should have one for Tuesday though, so fingers crossed.

2. Removing the under tray, I managed to shear off one of the rear bolts, very annoying, but not unheard of at this time of year.

In addition, due to the 4mm PTFE inlet mani gasket, one of the mounting bolts couldn't be refitted, which was also annoying.

Anyhow, crucially the inlets are now fitted, oil is changed, and the new MAP sensor arrived in time for me to collect it just before Christmas.

Given that I am still considering getting my upper inlet powder coated, if anyone has any suggestion as to how to remove the MAP sensor in future without breaking it, I would be delighted to hear from you!

Once I got the car home I fitted new Valeo pencil coils, and am looking forward to see how the car drives, with a view to getting it back on an RR in the new year. Reading about the coils they are only designed to have a 60k miles life, so despite mine seeming fine, they were about due for replacement. Will keep the old ones as spares though, just in case.

The car got a wash late last week, and hasn't really been driven since, so was still presentable enough for a couple of pics, nothing particularly new, aside from the inlet manifold and new ignition coils, neither of which are especially photogenic, I have finally got around to fitting Jase's s/s inlet pipe and the silicone hose to join it up.

I have been running the car on VPower, and it does seem easier to drive when cold, which was an unexpected but seemingly common result.

I also re-jigged the wiring the phone kit, took out the drivers lower dash and glovebox, tidied things up a bit and solved a loose connection.

2011-01-05015a.jpg

2011-01-05002a.jpg

2011-01-05007a.jpg

2011-01-05008.jpg

Thanks for reading, comments always welcome!