ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v clios are amazin!!!

BMW M135i
lewba said:
i drove from southend to birmingham and it went up by 0.2 mpg! i dont get it. o n i tried to remove the lead weight from my foot but it seems to be attached! lol

Reset the trip, its probably over a massive average. When I picked mine up the trip comp was over a 7k average.

D

dick

lets be hoenst, there not amazing at all.

their not bad for a small hatch i think tho

dick said:
lets be hoenst, there not amazing at all.

their not bad for a small hatch i think tho
Same here, I would'nt say there amazing
but there a good car considering the engine size and cheap insurance etc
there mainly just for younger drivers like me who bought one as a first car

1.2 16v Dynamique
Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
there mainly just for younger drivers like me who bought one as a first car

Or for older ones like me who have too many points to insure anything performance wise...:rasp:

Leon Cupra R 225
Im selling my 1.2 16v as I need a car good for motorways getting from kent to portsmouth (uni) and back regularly. It's a great little car but I just need a bit of ooomph on the motorway. Im leaving the Clio society to hopefully get a 106 GTi or Saxo VTS. :D

tommyboy said:
Im selling my 1.2 16v as I need a car good for motorways getting from kent to portsmouth (uni) and back regularly. It's a great little car but I just need a bit of ooomph on the motorway. Im leaving the Clio society to hopefully get a 106 GTi or Saxo VTS. :D

Get an oil burner....

Chocolate Bar™
^ as above get a diesel. Dont know why you'd actively choose either a VTS or a 106 GTI as a motorway car, both relativly unsafe, uncomfortable all be it nippy. Get a diesel, for example a clio DCI 100 has the same torque figure as a 172 yet still gets mint miles per gallon. Just a thought ;)

H22A7 Accord Type R
yea i agree with Middo......... personally for long motorway hauls, i'd rather the clio than a 106 / saxo

Da

Less
know how you feel Rob, plus with the pure lack of interest in the 1.2's forsale I might just keep mine and save up for the next project rather than trading in and taking a whack!

H22A7 Accord Type R
im thinking the same Daz! i polished mine today..........looks mint! hmmm lol! i really have my heart set on the next car, but, longer i wait, more i will have saved up for it eh? :) Keep telling myself not to rush! plus i refuse to let mine go for, say, 3-Grand!!!

Da

Less
tell me about it mate, got "offered" 2.5 at a stealer at weekend, just thought no way! It may not be the best car on the road but it's worth more than 2 fooking K lol! Washed and polished she don't look too bad does she :)

H22A7 Accord Type R
scary money aint it!!!!!!!! if i was mechanically minded id have an engine transplant in it by now!!!! Question.........can u make a V-tec go into a clio????

Da

Less
lol, was thinking along the lines of a 2.0 16v lump today...scary but probably more worthwhile!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
if you can afford to use optimax its worth sticking to it, ive ran mine on optimax the last 2 months and put normal shell 95 in it the other day since im skint and it cut out when i started it at the petrol station, now its having starting problems ever since. might be related to somthing else who knows. i use it because i like to think it does what it says when it comes to looking after your engine.

i dont have a trip computer but getting just over 300 miles to a tank say 320 miles, anyone care to work that out for me in mpg?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
yep coming up on 124,000 now :S

and whats this about yours being hardcore with no aircon... ;)

ive got no aircon, no trip computer, no fogs, no auto shite (wipers or lights) and turinis... its a cup :) lol

ST
Nice one matey.....i still take the dynamique out for a blast now n then even tho its my bro's car and i have the 182 now it still goes very well indeed.....60mm apex kit, fast road brake kit, toyo's, cat back stainless....sorted!!

H22A7 Accord Type R
auto lights n wipers are ghey!!! had them on a courtesy car and hated them lol!!!

H22A7 Accord Type R
Alan said:
.....60mm apex kit, fast road brake kit, toyo's, cat back stainless....sorted!!

i'm running 60mm apex, brembo/green stuff, F1's and cat back stainless........does that qualify? ;) Lovin it mate!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
the ammount of people who say a 1.2 is dangerous for overtaking, never had a problem when i drop mine into 2nd and go for it lol

and while were at it..

60mm apex, standard disks with green stuff pads, 195/45/16 kumhos and a mental sounding airbox with HKS pannel filter to finish it off :) LOL

H22A7 Accord Type R
if they think the 1.2 is s**t for overtakin, try havin a van with 50bhp and a intermittent throttle fault that the garage canny fix lol.........hence why my clio feels very agile after hundreds of miles in the van! ;) Martin, do you find you need to warm the green stuff up with the standard discs? or is that just a characteristic of my Brembo's? they bite like hell when hot!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
cant say ive really noticed it mate, noticed they seem to squeel a bit when their cold which goes when their hot. ill have a look tomorrow though see if i notice anything now that its been pointed out. They work well together tho for the price!

i need to think about some better disks next time though, frequently have smoke pishing out from behind the wheels these days after a wee blast!

H22A7 Accord Type R
the brembo / green mix works very well when warmed up!! the pedal sharpens up so much!! its very very noticeable!! maybe you should give them a try!! go easy tho, i cooked mine once (disk went purple/blue lol) then after that, they worked brilliantly!!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
will probably give them a go next time im doing my brakes.

drove my mums 1.2 16v the other day, and couldnt beleive i used to think they handled well standard before mine was lowered, it handles SHITE!, drifts round gravel corners sideways with the use of the handbrake pretty well tho, or so i found out the other day lol

HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
Aye, the clio has a decent chassis so even a 1.2 should give you a few laughs. I caned a works 1.2 8v over a nice b road and it was a hoot. That said, I really was gobsmacked when I drove my 182 for the first time comming from a 1.2. I knew it would be faster but I wasn't prepared for the difference :evil:

Had to practically give the 1.2 away though, practically zero interest in it when it was time to sell :dapprove:

H22A7 Accord Type R
Evil Ally said:
Had to practically give the 1.2 away though, practically zero interest in it when it was time to sell :dapprove:

indeed!!!!!!!! shitter aint it lol.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
polarbert said:
That will be a placebo mate, it does nothing to the engine whatsoever, its been proven.

it obviously does something since mine is running like a dog on shell 95, going back to optimax after this tank! (like i said before could be down to something else, just weird that the problem started when i tried to start the engine in the petrol station

Black 172
polarbert said:
That will be a placebo mate, it does nothing to the engine whatsoever, its been proven.

Everyone to there own I had a 1.2 dynamique and run it on normal unleaded and it didnt run as smooth as Robs,it was no where near as nice as his ! it all depends on the car. I rung my 172 on standard unleaded most of the time and i dont give a monkeys if people say its bad for the car !

I only use optimax when i can be bothered going to the Shell lol or usually i mix it

Scirocco GT 210
cliovicky said:
I run my 172 on standard unleaded most of the time and i dont give a monkeys if people say its bad for the car !

Same here, good old 95 RON. Petrol is too expensive anyway and buying super unleaded is like being mugged! Repeatedly.

H22A7 Accord Type R
i was the same Bondy.......it was doing shitty mpg, gave the jetex filter a clean, oil change, new coil pack, plugs, runs like a good un now!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
the 1.2 is my 3rd car and i agree, its pretty amazing. only recently lowered it and i love it when mr BMW 3 series cant keep up round a bend its fun. also loving the 40-50mpg figures. No doubt the bigger engines will be better but I love my clio, she's always good to me

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Martin_89 said:
it obviously does something since mine is running like a dog on shell 95, going back to optimax after this tank! (like i said before could be down to something else, just weird that the problem started when i tried to start the engine in the petrol station

Hate to worry you but if it started straight away its nowt to dith petrol. When you fill up the old petrol is still in the lines and it'll take a wee bit before the new stuff comes through

MKIII 138
i know a lowered MKII clio is made with cheap materials and is lighter than any other comparable car but low speed or tight corners its great, however a bmw has RWD 50:50 distrbution and are known for being a drivers car hence a high speed bends no chance, but yea roundabouts can be fun :D

Mustang, S13, AX GT
meggerman said:
i know a lowered MKII clio is made with cheap materials and is lighter than any other comparable car but low speed or tight corners its great, however a bmw has RWD 50:50 distrbution and are known for being a drivers car hence a high speed bends no chance, but yea roundabouts can be fun :D
must have been a bad driver, still always fun to play with 'better' cars :D

koi

Audi S1
_bondy_ said:
48mpg christ! i get 32.3 atm, and its standard....

I was getting 44mpg but after a wee service (air/oil filters, oil and spark plugs) I'm averaging 48mpg!

Loved my old 1.2 still miss it now and would love to have another drive in it. Performance is great for a 1.2.. had some proper laughs in it... great budget car!