ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v good MPG ?

So I embarked on 140 mile round trip to derby to pick a bumper up, I was pleasantly surprised by the mpg figure for the run considering the car has a K&N 57i kit.

DSC_0471_zps090899b7.jpg

I have no idea if this is good or not any thoughts ?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
that's good for a mk2, I always found they wernt too great on fuel when I drove them, or atleast not good enough to choose one over a 172 for a runabout for me, and of course no where near dci level but they must have revised the engine as our 13 plate twingo does 50mpg no problem every day

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Well you have to be doing well to get as low as me lol. Sounds about right for yours though, the 1.2's aren't far off the RS Clio's in terms of fuel economy.

that's good for a mk2, I always found they wernt too great on fuel when I drove them, or atleast not good enough to choose one over a 172 for a runabout for me, and of course no where near dci level but they must have revised the engine as our 13 plate twingo does 50mpg no problem every day

good mpg from the new twingo, yeh I'm happy enough with the mpg when I'm at uni it barely gets used so its ok if it drops low 40's

1.2 16v Dynamique
nice, on mine atm im getting around 44-45 driving around town, not looked at it when on a long journey tbh, interested to find out now.

1.2 16v Dynamique
damn, your clio is nice. hoping to do something along them lines with my own at some point, did you fit the k&n air filter yourself? i assume it's easy?
(Just been looking at your project post)

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
damn, your clio is nice. hoping to do something along them lines with my own at some point, did you fit the k&n air filter yourself? i assume it's easy?

K&N's are ridiculously easy to fit. Took me 5 minutes, and 4 of those were spent chatting to a neighbour. Epic mod too because the engine sounds so much better, but only when you want it to (unlike an exhaust).

yes mate the K&N is really easy to fit pretty self explanatory, the hardest bit is getting the feed out on the old air box in one piece (I split mine) :)

1.2 16v Dynamique
Oo sounds like i'll have to have a go at that then soon. did you get it from ebay? would you mind sending me a link if it's not too much to ask? thank you!

1.2 16v Dynamique
thanks a lot mate and no worries!!

Now saved to my bookmarks for when I get paid in the next couple of days, haha

thanks a lot mate and no worries!!

Now saved to my bookmarks for when I get paid in the next couple of days, haha

Btw you may want a second cold feed I felt mine wasn't quite right when I first fitted it (engine temp climbed quickly) this may be just me but I added a second cold feed and problem solved

- Done a sensible 3 hour drive to Creamfields last weekend (all motorway), and got 58mpg for the trip!
- Normal driving I average 42mpg.
- Spirited driving I can't get it below 37.5mpg.

(No engine mods.)

You do know a k&n kit on a 1.2 actually reduces performance. Do a search, there were loads of threads on them years back when I was considering it.

I have seen the threads they also ruin mpg thats why I am surprised it was so high, the performance loss is insignificant on a 1.2 with the right ducting in my opinion you can get the performance to stay the same if not a slight improvement.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
You do know a k&n kit on a 1.2 actually reduces performance. Do a search, there were loads of threads on them years back when I was considering it.

It does technically lose you a tiny amount of power, but the loss isn't noticeable. The change in engine note however, definitely is.

Suzuki Ignis Sport
A 1.2 has no power anyway so losing power you don't have won't make much difference imo

What is wrong with you? Thats the second smart arse comment in a day! Fair enough, they're 1.2's but we can't all afford the insurance on 1*2's. For most of us, it's a first car.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
What is wrong with you? Thats the second smart arse comment in a day! Fair enough, they're 1.2's but we can't all afford the insurance on 1*2's. For most of us, it's a first car.

And when you are promoted to 172 ownership you can make snipes at 1.2 owners too ;)

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
You're newish members, 1.2's and induction kits haven't been mentioned for a fair while, it was being mentioned as information, nothing more. Your boots, chill them.

You're newish members, 1.2's and induction kits haven't been mentioned for a fair while, it was being mentioned as information, nothing more. Your boots, chill them.

yeh I know mate I have seen the threads you are on about and don't want this one hijacked and turned into an argument, all I was getting at is I am under no illusion that my 1.2 is slow and if the K&N makes it worse oh well :)

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
I have the obligatory "First Car Induction Kit" on mine. A K&N Apollo fully enclosed with a Cold Air Feed.

I'm averaging 49.8 according to the trip computer atm. That's a few motorway miles but mostly urban driving! Not bad IMO!