ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 16v worries?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Have got myself a daily Clio dynamique with the 1.2 16v engine, it needed a bit of work including head gasket cam belt and water pump before I could use it. It's all up and running now but sounds a little tappy? Is this normal for the engine, gets louder when warm and high revving tho once hot does it at just over idle. Drives fine and pulls well and returns circa 50mpg also at sub 30mph the steering wheel feels slightly notchy on turning (pas?)

Just wondering what's normal with regards to them as I'm kinda used to the sport engine, not driven anything with such a small engine for quite a while now

Also what viscosity oil is recommended?

Cheers to anyone who lends a hand

SEAT Ibiza SC FR
Nope. Not normal, be warned though the 1.2 16v engine is probably one of the worst Renault has ever made.

Impreza Wagon
Ive also got one and it's been a nigtmare this past month! It's currently in the garage with a broken engine....

Mine is very smooth on steering and engine is a bit tappy but not too bad. When it works it's actually a great car but when it breaks it does it well!

MK3 GTI golf 16v
tappets is the noise probably mate, my old 1.2 made a right racket. ran fine though, 135K on the clock.

dont know about the best oil for them though sorry

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
I Duno I'm begining to hate it, if you pootle about it's just tappy but rev it right up and let off and it's defo a rattle clatter sound butit sounds top end rather than bottom end, ffs inthink I might just try dropping another engine in rather than drive it till it dies