ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 8 valve engine in a 1.2 16 valve clio

hi,
Drove my 8 valve clio campus into a ditch, engine is fine but bodywork wrecked.
the cheapest option seems to be to get another clio with a broken engine an put the engine from my campus in it.
the problem is most of the clios out there seem to have 16 valve engines.
is it possible to put an 8 valve engine in a 16 valve clio?
thanks

Renault Clio Mk2
Guessing you mean put the 16v engine into your 8v clio? Should be a straight swap, without much if any modifications, I'd ring around a few garages by you, not sure if you've got one in mind and they'll be able to tell you!

no, my 8v clio is wrecked but the engine is fine, just replaced head gasket and cam belt, looking for another clio to put the 8v engine in.
most clios seem to be 16v

Renault Clio Mk2
no, my 8v clio is wrecked but the engine is fine, just replaced head gasket and cam belt, looking for another clio to put the 8v engine in.
most clios seem to be 16v
Oh right sorry my mistake!:) if you're not doing the work yourself, then it probably won't be much if any cheaper to get the engines swapped over? What mileage has the engine done? You can pick up a 1.2 2003/2004 16v for roughly £500 I think?

Renault Clio Mk2
Agree with everyone here, unless it's got an insanely low number of miles on it, get a new one mate, not worth it

the engines done 60000, changing the engine is a cheaper option as i can do that myself if i can find an 8v clio to put my engine in.
the problem is is finding an 8v as most clios seem to be 16v

Renault Clio Mk2
possible yes, worth it? still not really.. you'd most likely need to change the ecu aswell, and your gear ratios would be slightly out surely? once you've informed the dvla and insurance company you've made an engine swap thats different from the original, you're still likely to be worse off!

Renault Clio Mk2
also looking at the cars where the engines have gone, you've got no way of knowing why? could be more damage on the car which is going to cost you long term, probably also be a high mileage car? just get a new one mate, its not worth it

i would be using the same gearbox anyway, is the exhaust system different on a 16v? i can't imagine the insurance having a problem as the 8v's are less powerful than the 16v's anyway

Renault Clio Mk2
they may be less powerful, but its still an engine swap, my honest opinion is it's not worth the hassle to save you what? £200 at most? but again its totally up to you mate!

the plan is to get an 8v with a blown engine or something and put the engine from my campus in it, the only thing is i can only find 16v's
swapping the engine would be the cheapest option as i could get a spares or repair clio for around 200-300 and then do the work myself, i just don't have enough money for a new car and i need to get back on the road as soon as i can

Renault Clio Mk2
if you're stuck for cash get an older one with a fair few miles til you can save and get something faster if you wanted?

Renault Clio Mk2
you're looking in the wrong places then! seriously you can get a half decent car for under £500 just don't expect any where new near condition! it's a hundred times better than one that's been in a ditch tho

Renault Clio Mk2
if it was me though, i'd salvage as much as i could, sell it on here? and with that money plus a bit more buy a new one!

Renault Clio Mk2
you seem to have already made your mind up, i'm not sure why you're still asking if you just disregard everyones opinions.. thats not me being rude, but seriosuly if you want to do it so badly, no one will stop you, just don't get stuck fitting it or you'll be proper stuck! hopefully it's taught you not to drive cars into ditches though