ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 Clio mini-project (newbie)

Monaco
Hi there,

I'm 19 and have been driving my mums 2001 1.2 16v expression and its time for it to become mine. I'm a student so naturally skint but summer is almost here so work a-plenty! :star:

Some very minor things done already, I'll bore you with the details;

Spent the first 5 years looking like this
before2.jpg

i know, poor thing.

then some mk3 alloys, back window stickers and spoiler - the spoiler was a home spray and looks okish
240409side.jpg

rear speakers uprated to wulfenhags - rare import speakers sound pretty good.
brakes painted
sh##ty exhaust chrome tip bolt on thing
k&n 57i
silver door handles and airbag trims
xenon bulbs

not really sure where i'll go with mods, definatly leave the engine until i can afford a 172/182 (late next year maybe). So i'll go for a "slow n' low" project but i really could use some suggestions *hint* remember i'm fairly skint.

Mods definate to come:
De-halfords it (remove np surrounds, exhaust tip, etc...)
Lowered 60mm
172/182 interior
sound proofing
exhaust (probs powerflow - louder but not loud)
50% rear tint

Cheers for looking....

Monaco
Now let me introduce you to my first dilema.

Funny story; standing outside my car last christmas eve i started it to warm it up. my g/f's dad had left it in gear so it started and hit a wall.

bent suspension bolt (fixed) and some bodywork pain:

240409damage.jpg

new front bumper needed.

so i bought a facelift bumper off ebay in the correct colour - bargain at £70 inc. postage.

so it arrived, scratched to F##k with the correct colour painted over the unprimed original colour of black. with your fingernail you could scratch the blue off!

so i sanded that back ready for a spray and that's where i'm at.

first of all will it fit? i assume yes
second, the black plastic is scratched - colour code? restore? gloss black?
third, i want it to look modified when it's done since it'll cost me a bit - i see some nice grills on here, where are they from? do i go down the route of a splitter?

Combo
The grills you are thinking of are probably the RS grills and you can get them from a stealer from around £40 I think.

Not 100% sure the new bumper will fit or not as I haven't had a go but I know some people on here have, don't know if they have had to modify it at all.

And colour code the bumpers and side strips.

W

Willy

Hiya

Yep, you want a Renault Sport grille. You can get them from Renault for £30-40 (Prices vary from dealer to dealer).

I replaced the bumper you have for the facelift one. Its a straight forward swap, took me about 45 minutes, that was my first attempt and I'd never done anything like it before :) let me know if you want some help.

Colorcode th black plastic bits, will look much better in my opinion. Check out my thread(s).

Monaco
Cheers for your help already!

so those grills are actual renault?! sweet. might pop in this week.

Willy - checked your threads, loving the look of your clio. subtle but yet obviously not standard. was the sport rear bumper a straight fit?

Clio 1.2 16v
looking good, yeah you want a RS grill, also get a spoiler for that, either the cup or standard

They're off the Renaultsport 172 and 182 models, the grilles :) they totally transform the look of the front of your car.

Sport rear bumpers are a straight swap mate, but you'll lose (or have to bodge) the rear arch liners.

I have a non-sport with sport stuff fitted, looks loads better :)

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
loose the idea of tints,

they look awful unless you get all the windows done,

then they still look chavy as s**t,

id say,
deck it!!! 60mm (im selling some 60mm back springs if you interested)
colour code the side strips,
rs back bumper, rs grill,
new side indicators (black or silver)
and smaller areal.
then perhaps rep skirts if you want to hid the sills

W

Willy

Cheers for your help already!

so those grills are actual renault?! sweet. might pop in this week.

Willy - checked your threads, loving the look of your clio. subtle but yet obviously not standard. was the sport rear bumper a straight fit?

Yep, like JME said, off the 172 and 182 :) really transform the car.

Cheers! ;) yep, that took about 15 minutes, dead easy just a few bolts

Monaco
looking good, yeah you want a RS grill, also get a spoiler for that, either the cup or standard

Spoiler? i have a spoiler?

thanks for the advice!

its defo getting lowered 45mm or 60mm not decided yet.

anyone have or know of anyone selling the half leather 172 interior. that's this months mod, except it won't be going in until lowered, cause itwill look silly on the bouncy high springs.

might be interested in those springs if they're still there in a week or so - after i buy my interior and get this f###ing uni exam out of the way on friday...

Monaco
I realise i'm in danger of being one of these people who promises alot but does nothing. So 172 interior bought :)D) and the front bumper, spoiler (not happy with diy paint job), and all side/bumper strips booked in at the bodyshop.

Ideas for my bullets? (i know its a dire subject covered alot but i'm still undecided). However i will not be putting 2.0 16v on the side of my 75bhp runaround. thats as bad as sticking that aweful turbo badge from halfords on the back.

This month still to buy:
RS grill
flat blades
smoked side repeaters
Megane big splitter (scrappies tomorrow).

Next month:
45mm springs (as much as insurance will allow)
stealth backbox
tints (due to negative feedback i'm thinking like 30% on the back windows, still chavvy?)
fit everything and tell insurance...

Pics of progress will follow asap.

Monaco
So:

Total clips broken: 1 (bullet)
Total parts off to bodyshop: 10
Total pieces of flesh missing from hands: 3

So far::::::::::::::::::::::
DSCF1290.jpg

DSCF1288.jpg

DSCF1289.jpg

W

Willy

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :)

Will look like a different car color coded!

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
how much did that cost to colour coded in total if you dont mind me asking!!

Looks good mate! post pics of when cars back together!!

Monaco
how much did that cost to colour coded in total if you dont mind me asking!!

Looks good mate! post pics of when cars back together!!

Will do will do, pics asap.

£200 for it all - bargain i thought coz it's literally everything + the front bumper getting painted.

Monaco
geezus, that is a good price, who is it with? Where about are you from?

I'm in dundee. Place called Dudhope coachworks. they are unbelievably cheap and do an awesome job. i think they're in danger of going under or summin cos you dont even book, they just quote you over the phone and then tell you to come in whenever. Oh and - and i dont understand this either - they get it done on the day! i was majorly sceptical at first but was proven wrong.

Monaco
Whilst destroying my car today i thought i'd sort out the boot handle which had come a bit loose. This is what i found:

DSC00530.jpg

A bolt short!!!!! crappy renault

Clio 1.4 16v Dymanique
in a day... geezus... post some pics of the finished paintwork and what its like on ure car hen you get it back together.

nice result mate

Flame Red Delight
whats with the influx of clio students at dundee these days :D Heriott watt students edinburgh ftw :D

Na good little project mate keep up the good work :D

W

Willy

Not a bad price at all. When I had mine done it took them a week, all those bits have to be smoothed, left between layers, put in the oven, painted etc. I asked the guy about the process and he said he was working on them all every night for a good week (did it as a side job)....I'd be a little be worried about it peeling in the future, if you get a garuntee then fair play :)

Monaco
Today:

4 seats removed, 1 door card. Engine bay cleaned. Car cleaned, tcut, and waxed.

Out with the old:

DSCF1304.jpg

DSCF1302.jpg

DSCF1300.jpg

Shortened the standard aerial:

DSCF1298.gif

Clean! mate showing me up in his mr2 turbo:

DSCF1293.jpg

Got my cliosport.net sticker on!!!

DSCF1294.jpg

Was a busy day...

2000 1.4
hey Jack, glad i finally know someone on here lol! didn't realise steve bought the turbo? how much did he get for his white one?

and, nah not got the car sold yet, I'm in florida at the moment so not had much of a chance, my dads mate has professionally refurb'dmy wheels so can't wait to get back and check that out! it'll be on pheads as soonas i get back!

how come you've taken the seats out? you putting 1*2 interior in there?

2000 1.4
sorry, just read the thread in full and noticed you had bought a new interior! we'll need to get a dundee meet organised with all the other dundee dudes from here!

Monaco
Yeh defo! my clio should look a treat with interior - needs lowered though.

need some good photos; you're 172 will show me up though but whatever lol.

wheels should look pretty tasty. you selling them on the car or keeping them. steves old wheels look surprisingly good on it...

Monaco
[excuse the shoddy photos in this post but i was just too anxious to drive it to take many]

Lots and lots done!

got bits back from bodyshop, seats from edinburgh (cheers steve79) and a few bits and bobs from the scrappy...

Here goes:

All interior out;
DSCF1312.jpg

all plastic back in the bumpers;
DSCN4510.jpg

bumpers and side strips fitted;
DSCN4511.jpg

^^^^^^Big meggy splitter looks like sex.

DSCN4512.jpg

DSCN4513.jpg

And finally the best bit - my new interior; (MmMm)
DSCN4514.jpg

All i can say is my car looks minty mc mint mint.

stylish photos coming soon...

FF RB 182
looks ace. I really need to find a cheap sprayers (if they exist near me!! lol) to colour code all my parts :(

You got a bargain!

Monaco
come up here - they were so cheap and the colour match is almost spot on, you'd probably still save even inc your petrol. lol :cool:

2000 1.4
Jack, this looks awesome! I got back today and my wheels are immense! think im just gonna sell them on the car, they improve the overall look of the car so hopefully it'll boost the value of it up ever so slightly! plus, steve's wheels have got like 0.0000001mm of tread left! lol

you got back seats in it? of you leaving the rear stripped?