ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 First Car Project

Hey all as some of you may know from other posts on the forums I've just got my first car, 1.2 Clio Expression 5 door, and I thoguht i'd start a project thread to show what's happening with it. Now I know this won't compare to some of the other projects on here seeing as its a 5 door 1.2 car and as a 17 year old I can't do much modification seeing as it'll make my insurance go even higher but I am still looking at making my car look alot better.

Here it is as it is now standard:

Plans for the future:

- New bulbs for headlights
- RS Grille
- New spoiler
- Colour code bump strips with black bullets
- take hub caps off and just use black steelies
- Colour code rear and front bumper

anything else you guys could suggest?

Clio Extreme 1.2
Black steelies look wrong imo, could you add some alloys to your insurance? I think it would be better than a spoiler.
Shorter aerial?

Looks like a decent first car though, quite like some 5 doors, what age/milage is it on?

Its 2003 and its got 106K on it (only 2 owners and full service history though) , only just had its first cambelt replaced too which was kinda lucky. And yeah I might ring them up and see what they can do but im not sure :/ and I kinda really want a cup spoiler though because the back of this clio looks too womanly haha I was worried whether it would fit on a 5 door clio though? any ideas?

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
Aye I'm pretty sure it would fit. Think all the spoilers from mk2 fit tbh.

ok cheers, is it pretty simple to fit all mk2 parts then? like if i got a 182 front and rear bumper would it fit on with no hassle? i've heard i might need new arch liners though?

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
Well for the rear when I fitted my sport bumper I just used my normal archliners and didn't have any problems. For the front bumper, you'll need new wider wings and the sport archliners. Might need some more for the front but not 100% sure.

ok so front bumper is a no go then, definately getting a new spoiler though, what spoilers would you guys advise? I've seen cup spoilers and they look pretty decent but are there any other options out there? and also where is the best place to buy one?

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
I've got a cup spoiler and bought it off here. Probably the cheapest place to get your parts in the for sale section on here. There can be a few bargains on eBay if you keep an eye out. If you don't want a cup spoiler maybe go for the sport/dynamique one. You can get them in plain black or sprayed depending what at they're off.

ah right, i need to get my cliosport membership first haha and I'm not sure whether to spray the black plastic bits of my front/rear bumpers black or colour code them and the same with the new spoiler when i eventually get one, what you think?

Also do you have any pics of the sport/dynamique spoiler, i tried searching but couldn't find a decent pic, thanks

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
I've actually got a black one for sale mate lol
764e0edc.jpg

Don't know if that's any help it's the only pic I've got on my phone ATM. A lot of people go for colour coding but a black gloss on the trim migh work if you got some black wheels as well. Best thing you can do is get a membership on here theyres loads of guides and things to help you out. I'm sure there'll be other clios with black trim.

oh wow that looks sweet man, thats a dynamique spoiler right? how much is it? and are you sure itll definately fit straight onto my car? haha

Is that one of your driving shoes by the way? haha

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
Yeah I had the same one on my old 5dr mate. I had it for 30 plus 5 postage but it's got a scratch on when I moved it the other day so just 30 quid for it. It's on eBay as well but no ones watching it or anything lol your the first person to notice that haha but I usually wear them for driving :p haha

Haha yeah ill buy it for 30 quid :) you want me to bid on the eBay auction or what? :) if ya do mind sending me the link as I doubt id be able to find it on there Lool

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
You can do it through here if you like. I'll send you my PayPal and you send me the money plus a bit extra to cover fees then I'll sen it tomorrow? Sound ok?

Ok so today I went to my mates lockup to work on his Lupo with him (more like just look busy whilst he does the work) and get some pics of the cars.

I also took my hubcaps off and to be honest i think it looks alot better with steelies, especially black ones even though they need a respray. It just looks really high now but i cant afford to lower it because of insurance, hmmm what do you guys think? I'll hopefully be getting some alloys in the next few months but what do you guys thinks look better in the mean time? hub caps or just steelies?

Next update should be when I install the dynamique spoiler I just bought from JoeJ9 :)

e92 330i
Hub caps back on, just looks poor without them.

Colour coding will make a hell of a difference too bud.

Yeah I don't know bout the hub caps, I prefer them without but it does look abit like i'm too poor to afford hub caps? lol so yeah i'll put them back on and colour coding is next on my list of things to do, you know where i could get an aerosol can of renault paint?

Today the spoiler I bought from JoeJ9 was delivered and it makes a great improvement over the standard one. Not sure whether to get it colour coded or not, I think it looks pretty good in the glossy black. I'm also deciding whether to get the black mouldings in my bumper sprayed black to match the spoiler or colour coded.

Dynamique spoiler on the left, standard on the right

After it was fitted

Plans
- Mazda MPS aerial
- Skoda splitter
- Ipod connection for standard head unit
- New headlight and indicator bulbs
- RS grille

Most importantly new wipers for front and back, anybody know anywhere to get good wipers? and what brand to get?

thanks

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
Aero ones off eBay mate they're only about 6quid for a set. Search for Clio mk2 aero wipers and get the cheapest lol Im like the spoiler :p the other black plastic bits in pearl black would look good I think. It's something a bit different

Ok i'll check them out, cheers :)

and yeah thought you might like it ;) haha and oh right I was gonna ask what the colour was, pearl black? Yeah everybody seems to colour code them so i think it might look a bit more unique :)

A slow blue one.
Think I recall seeing someone spraying their steelies white, that was on a nautical blue model mind and they carried on the white theme with the badges/bullets. After lowering it didn't look too bad imo.

Obviously a set of alloys would be preferable but it all depends how much money you want to put into it.

EDIT: Whilst I was typing that another few replies to your thread cropped up, that may explain why the above now makes f**k all sense.

yeah i saw that too, i originally planned on spraying mine black to make them look better but after seeing them on the car they look kind of poor without lowering it so i'm sticking with hubcaps for now til i can get a quote from insurance about alloys.

Yeah i saw those but I'm in serious need of a rear wiper too and i thought might aswell just get a pack of all three including aero for the front?

Spoilers looking good big man.
Really like the ideas you've got in mind for this motor, can't wait to see the car progress! ;)

Thanks :) I think next is gonna be wipers, aerial, ipod connection then i'll get onto the bigger stuff haha

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
A lovely 1st car and nice simple project to start with :). Definatley keep the hubcaps on because your insurance will not be friendly to you with alloys :(. Keep it up :)

oh really? :( i heard alloys barely made a difference if any at all :( maybe its different for youngsters :( I'll give em a ring next week and see what they say :)

Listerine & Poledo
in fairness, even whacking that spoiiler on will ahve increased the OP's premium... if declared

Listerine & Poledo
was it a standard part of the vehicle when it rolled out of the factory:-

yes - no need to declare
no - needs declaring

Fiesta ST + Clio 182
My upgrade to a cup spoiler cost me pennies mate. Just ask them for a price. Shouldn't go up too much I don't think.

Crispy.

ClioSport Club Member
  BMW G31 530D Msport
oh really? :( i heard alloys barely made a difference if any at all :( maybe its different for youngsters :( I'll give em a ring next week and see what they say :)

:/ Really? I think declaring anything but standard at your age will skyrocket your premiums. To be honest, things like the spoiler just really isn't worth declaring for the price you will pay for it IMO. I personally refuse to declare anything on my car because I am currently on my first year insurance at 19 years of age and I cannot afford 10x the cars worth for such silly little things as a set of alloys. Would like to know how much you do get quoted though :)

(s)Low Dynamique
I don't know if it's the same for all policies, but my best friend swapped his 14" steel wheels to 14" alloys on his first car in his first year of insurance (at 17 years old), and LV didn't increase his premium because he kept them the same size.

Plans sound good though, nice little car :)