ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.2 renault clio , new member here

1.2 clio mk1
hey guys and girls or whoever. im gabrielle age 19 and im learning to drive in my little baby racheal whos a 1.2 renault clio 5door standard.

however im having a bit of trouble with her.
im not very mechanically minded (just a typical mtf transexual lol)

she needs a new drivers side sill as some t***t in my street kicked a ball under it and when retrieving thier ball kicked the sill off (by jacking point) know of any going cheap ?

also when shes running i dont always get it but she lacks power and tries cutting out at junctions, if i clean the butterfly on the throttle she goes ok for a while then.
how would i clean the carburettor ? spray carb cleaner down the butterfly ?i dont know?
i have noticed though with this problem i found that when i had a look to try finding the fault the plastic box that holds the air filter on has snapped what some people call the end cap or something and theres no air filter. i got a new air filter but it wont stay in there as the end cap is broken.
any ideas how i can do a cheap fix but not spend too much money ?
i dont want to touch any of the air box up the top of the engine , just rather bypass it instead of messing around with things i dont know of.
ive been looking at them air filter induction thingeys but i dont know where it would bolt on. the only place i can find to put one is where you have the butterfly on the throttle body , but how would you rectify the small pipe on the bottom of the tube where it comes from the throttle body to the air filer (in other words the pipe i take off to clean the butterfly) i think its a breather pipe but im not sure??

also what colour wire is the ignition turn key wire on the radio wiring , or hasnt it got one ?
i keep forgetting to take the face off my radio then im getting a flat battery .
i have wired it myself but theres a red and grey wire where two wires have been joined from someone elses wiring and its fused for some reason but the two wires that branch off the red/grey wire , one is going to the battery (yellow) and the other ign accessory (red)
i have two loose wires behind which are both yellow and are not connected , could one of them be turn key ignition ?

im not very mechanically minded . took me 6 hours just to find that butterfly throttle thingy you clean. i know where it is now though .

Last edited:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
I would recommend sending a private message (known as a PM) to Saner He is very mechanically minded and would be happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
If Saner can't help, I'm informed AK can be very helpful, drop him a PM...

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afriad I can't personally help, but as the other guys have said, try some of the members on here.

Also try dropping a PM to Rhys Bartley. He might be of some use, he's from south wales, he might even be near you tbh!

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
Welcome.

The radio issue sounds like you have the constant lives mixed up.

After reading the post though I don't think I can be of much use like Ed has suggested.

Yeah drop Rhys a p.m. He's a little modest but is a genius with Clios, although he may insist on playing with your driveshaft

Yeah that was why I suggested him, he's always been very helpful with mine. Never had any problems with my driveshaft though.

Have you met him before? Like you say, despite his modesty, he is really helpful.

OP deffo should drop him a PM.

BMW E36 328
Welcome to cliosport,

I'd try sending a PM to 'jonff' he is normally helpfull with wiring related faults and is always responds pretty quick aswel.

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
ambrosia-custard-pot---banana---150g.jpg

Yeah that was why I suggested him, he's always been very helpful with mine. Never had any problems with my driveshaft though.

Have you met him before? Like you say, despite his modesty, he is really helpful.

OP deffo should drop him a PM.

Yeahhh he's helped me with various problems on my car and has always come up trumps. If Rhys can't fix it then it's probably unfixable

Mini Cooper S sport
It's interesting that you're into buses AND sadomasochism..

That's like a trainspotting scat fan.

Welcome to Cliosport!

Clio
Welcome to the club, I'm sure someone will be along to help shortly. My advice would be the same as others. Drop a PM to AK. He is really kind and will help you out every way he can.

In the mean time...
Oh how much I enjoy my ride,
with you there by my side.
It is so big and red,
She really enjoys it the old lady said.
London Bus, I love you.

Hi, and welcome to Cliosport.net

It's a bit keraaaazy at times, but stick around long enough and you'll be addicted as f**k.

RMx

Megane 225 F1
Hi and welcome to cliosport.

If you have a brown nose, you'll fit right in. If not, prepare to put up with a lot of s**t. Either way, part of you will end up brown.

I'm in a good mood today, so I'll let slide (unless the op has a problem) what has been said, despite the username, let's be a little more tactful in what we say please.

Last chance, drop it NOW please.

Last edited:

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Just checked the reg.

R858 WUK was registered on the 31/10/1997. Year of manufacture is also listed as 1997.

Renault stopped putting carbs on their clios in 1992.

However the OP never actually said she found the carburettor, so that doesn't really prove much.

1.2 clio mk1
what would cause it to stutter and try stalling when coming to junctions etc , and no its not my driving as my friend has driven it aswell. where you got the throttle cable going to the buteerfly thingy i clean that and it goes ok for a few days then it starts to try stalling at every junction/light/roundabout, also the battery lights flickers, i think im causing more damage to it driving it like that coz it feels like im bumpstarting the car back up it was ok when i first had the car , theres new spark things in it and a new coil pack. ive also had a compression test done on it and its passed . the car didnt have an air filter when i bought it but then i found out why , as the plastc clips have broken on it (its like the cap thing you put on the other end of the filter) , that part was loose in the engine bay. it was running ok for months though after i bought it and now its just playing up. one of the street mechanics told me there was a carb but im not taking his word for it, i like the car its easy to drive as i hate power steering , its just a shame it has this problem with it , also when its trying to cut out it sounds like its sucking in too much air .

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
when it stalls it will sound like its sucking a lot of air, thats normal. Check the connetions to the trottle body sensor, MAF sensor and the coilpack LT connections. Spray some electrical contact cleaner on 3 of these and see if it makes things better. It sounds like your cleaning the throttle body, moving one of the connections then it works for a while again. My 1.2 8v used to do this every so often, (if it dipped the clutch whilst moving the revs would just drop to 0). Mine was the MAF sensor and could be rectified by disconneciton the sensor pipe to the MAF sensor from the inlet manifold.

1.2 clio mk1
do you think an aftermarket air filter onto the throttle body would be ok ? only trouble is though that theres a pipe underneath (i think its a breather pipe) what would i do with that , as i will be getting rid of the pipe going from the throttle body to air filter casing .

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
If the engine is a 1.2 16v engine, it could be that when you drive it and stop (like at a roundabout), it will rev, drop, rev, drop, rev, cut out (is that what you mean)?

If so, get someone to remove the inlet from the engine and the throttle body is there, give it a clean up and should work fine. My other half's car did this before I did that on her throttle body.

PS. Welcome to the club.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
As daft as this sounds, disconnect the battery for 30mins and then re-connect (note if you are using the standard stereo you will require the code to get the radio to work again, so make sure you have this first)

I had this problem on my 1.2 after fitting the standard airbox again, basically the ECU adjusts to any modifications, so if the car has had an aftermarket filter added then it will adjust. If you disconnect the battery for 30mins then the ECU will default to standard values.