ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1*2 vs renault 5 turbo..

182/172 would be faster, std for std....
my 5gtt when std was 0-60 in 7.5s and 0-100 in 22s......they are not fast by todays standards untill you tweak them....
once mine was running near 200bhp, then it was quick ;)

they don't weigh much but only have 120bhp std, power to wieght much better on the 182/172 ;)

Simon

A

ashy_gtt

Standard V's Standard the 172 would have the edge easily...

However you could make a std gtt into a clio 172 / 182 slayer for less than the cost of a tank of petrol!!

Plus if you run into a gtt on the road i bet theres a 90% chance its not standard, where as 90% of cliosports probably are.

A

ashy_gtt

If anyone bumps into ashy's gtt then don't even bother trying!!!

David, Random question... You were at the N.E. meet weren't you?

The lad that was with you does he have a Gtt or have a m8 with a gtt?

Just looked familiar thats all... Im sure he knows one of my mates... Chris & Nick Scott.

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Yeah that's him, he's called zags. He said you were buying some bits off him or he was buying some off you, can't remember which it was. He's got the silver phase 1 gtt.

I know chirs and nick, we all live near each other.

I was at the meet and your V6 looked good, they look so much bigger than a normal clio close up.

A

ashy_gtt

Aye thats the chap, works at a body shop in Sunderland...

His 5's mint, I remember Chris telling me he keeps blowing it up tho LOL!! Probably a case of too much boost or not enough fuel ;)

Should of said hello but wasn't sure and didn't wana look like a d!ck if it wasn't him :quiet:

Mk2 1.2 Campus
LOL no problem, we'll all be at the next meet.

To be honest it doesn't blow up, it's just little things that cause massive problems. Last time out it had done about 50 mile and a water hose burst, it overheated and done the headgasket. It's sorted now though, he's gonna bring it to the next meet if he can/

182 Cup Racing Blue
I had a VTS before my 182 cup.......VTS is quick 0-60 but then it just feels like its dying.............182....just goes on more...then dies around 100....next car will hopefully die at 130....

Mondeo TDCI 130
Std 172 wouldn't whip a std VTS's @rse, would hardly be anything in it.

Well mine was 150bhp and was possibly the same, maybe a bit shy of a 172! So how one with 30bhp can be the same is beyond me!!!:S

Golf GT & A4 Avant
I had a standard 5 GT Turbo with Exhuast/ filter/ Intercooler (std Turbo and Boost though) and sat pretty much level against 106 GTi's/ VTS's but lost against a few 172's and cups.
My 182 feels considerably quicker than my 5 at any speed and general I can pull ahead of the local 106 GTi's/ VTS's but never by much

Golf GT & A4 Avant
If the 5 GT Turbo has been played with ie more boost, it will eat a 1*2 to 120mph.

180bhp isn't too hard to get with some choice sensible mods. I saw one pushing 220bhp post 12.18s 1/4m at santa pod with plenty of reliability

Mk2 1.2 Campus
This is a question that won't be answered easily. Most 5 gtt engines that are standard will be either old, high mileage or both and will obviously have lost power.

Titanium ph1 turbo
I've owned a 5 turbo for the last 10 years, as well as a 172 cup and I think I can answer this question for everyone.

A standard 5 is not fast, a 172/182 will leave it for dead...

The thing with the 5's is that you can wind the boost up quite easily and for not much money they will put out a reliable 170/180bhp, even as much as 200+ with the right things done to it.. at this kind of power it will either have the edge on a 172/182, or at 220bhp it will be leaving it no problem.

Finding good ones on the road are few and far between, there's a lot of bodged ones which have had cheap mods, too much boost, etc hence why they have a bad name in terms of reliability etc.. but in general if you do the right mods, stick within the limits (sensible boost), and look after them they are very very fun motors, more fun than the clio in my own opinion due to the fact they are so basic and raw, almost like a go-kart in terms of driving/handling...

On the other hand I would say that the 172/182 is far more refined and easier to drive, as well as a lot more reliable and takes far less maintenance!..

It's all down to personal choice really, but to say which is quicker, its not so straight forward because it all depends on the state of tune of the 5 you are racing, no two 5's are ever the same these days as 99% of the time they have been played with in terms of tuning.

If you check the link that Ashy posted, you can see the best ones are doing 11 and 12 second 1/4 mile times, which is much faster than any hot hatch you can buy out a showroom today...

http://g7wfs.sytes.net/cgi-bin/leader_board.cgi?engines=all&tyres=all