ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 16v struggles start when warm, poor idle and engine wobbles.

Renault Clio 1.4
Hiya chaps,

Few problems with my clio recently, firstly if for example i travel for 20 minutes and stop off at a shop, when i start the car again it usually takes a good 3 or 4 seconds of turning over before it will start.

It also doesn't idle particularly well, especially when the engine is warm, the revs tend to be quite eratic and the needle tends to bounce from just over 1000 rpm to just below 1000rpm. When the engine is very warm (been driven for an hour) and then is started again, it often sounds as if it is going to stall and the revs will dip down to about 500rpm.

I have had a proper look about and the person i bought the car off has obviously had a go at fixing the problem and has given up...the major air flow metre has been changed and a self tapper screw has been fitted just above the piece of metal which goes to the throttle pedal so that the idle revs are slightly higher than what they should.

Along side this the engine also wobbles when idling, this is often worse again when the engine is warm and will make the gear stick wobble and usually the whole car will judder. This problem isn't as bad when you turn the air conditioning is turned on??

Finally, there is a air leak from the inlet manifold, would this be the cause of everything, or could it be the tdc sensor as well as the idle control valve or a temperature sensor?

Any help would be appreciated because i'm so baffled by it all

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
So many problems... where to start? LoL

Where are you based buddy?

Mick

Renault Clio 1.4
I'm from norfolk, and was serviced around spring time if i remember.

It's strange though because as soon as the car starts moving and gets upto speed all of these problems dissapear and it runs fine which is why i'm not considering selling it cos it can't be anything too major.

Renault Clio 1.4
I haven't tried taking them off one by one, but it did have a brand new coil pack with spark plugs back in april.

I'll clean out the throttle body when and see what happens then