ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.4 r5gtt

what figures can you get out of a 5 gtt lump? would it be better then a 172 conversion coz it would be cheaper to put in?

what you guys think, i once went in a white r5 gtt and boy was it rapid, think he was running 240hp. not sure if any of you know it, he works for formula somthing up at sevenoaks opposite brands hatch,

FOR SALE!!!
the r5 engine is very good for tunning can be tuned to just over 300 bhp and as long as not run at hight boost all the time are relaible it would be a good conversion if done right and would be cheap if could get the brackets made up quite cheap this is one of my ideas as i have 1.2 8v in it so was going to turbo that lump our drop in a r5gtt lump still thinking of both hope this helps i can get custom bits made up for u at a a good price as long as you can get me good drawings with all messurments etc

ok matey, can you turbo a 1.2? would it be worth it? so what price do you think im looking at for a r5 gtt conversion?

FOR SALE!!!
you can trubo any car depedas wa psi you run it at and how deep ya pockets go im lucky as got a mate who can make me my stuff up for very cheap so for me to turbo it aint that much but for someone who cant get the stuff as easy talking bout 1,000, 2000 depending how much of the work you can do and turboing the 1.2 will only make it same power as bout 1.6

LY 200
There old engines and when highly tuned (even when properly done) will present a problem.

My pals was/is (when working) running 191.3 bhp which is a fair increase on the the standard 120 but its caught alight 3 times over the past 3/4 years and has speant the best part of a year and abit off the road, prior to that i think it was fixed and didnt even last a month.

His brothers is running 160ish and is just as bad. A few others i know of havnt had much luck in keeping them working either.

Spose all depends on how much patience/time/money you have and whether you want to be driving a Mondeo around for the majority.

LY 200
^^^Why waste your money/time on a conversion like that though mate?

Will be alot cheaper to just buy the real thing!!!

Could understand a rare converstion but have never understood why someone would want to spend 3k+ on puttin a 172 engine in a 1.2!!!

Clio Extreme 1.2 2002
i was thinking of a conversion then thought whats the point? for all the hassle of a conversion and then trying to sell it on etc.. I thought why not just sell my car and buy a 182 or a 172. Less hassle and you know its going to be right. Although a Turbo on a 182 would be v. nice ;)

^^^Why waste your money/time on a conversion like that though mate?

Will be alot cheaper to just buy the real thing!!!

Could understand a rare converstion but have never understood why someone would want to spend 3k+ on puttin a 172 engine in a 1.2!!!

because im turning my car into a rally replica so will have problems selling it on anyway, and why take a genuine 172 to peices? why not just do it to a 1.2

well a 1.6 but was going to go for as much power as possible, well if thats the case should i just turbo my 1.2?

The renault 5 GTT turbo, is a good engine. The bottom end is very strong. If you get the fueling sorted for the boost you would like to run, on a rolling road or using a wide band lamda sensor then there will no problems with the head gasket as well.

Have a look on www.RTOC.ORG Mite be a guide on how to drop the engine in, or there is a few people that have done the convershion and may help.

The renault 5 GTT turbo, is a good engine. The bottom end is very strong. If you get the fueling sorted for the boost you would like to run, on a rolling road or using a wide band lamda sensor then there will no problems with the head gasket as well.

Have a look on www.RTOC.ORG Mite be a guide on how to drop the engine in, or there is a few people that have done the convershion and may help.

172 would be cheaper but the 5GT is a fine engine bit old but thats no problem very relaible the proble is people wack the boost up for more power without doing things properly an they blow up hence there reputation.

£1.5k for a 172 complete conversion kit is better value than a 5GTT tunned to 160hp or safly and reliably.

I would have thought you would have more torque from a 1.4 GTT lump?

Conversion has been done before, needed alot of custom bits and pieces to get it working properly though.

1.5k for the 172 lump and all bits and pieces sounds like a bargain to me though :D

my mate had an amazing R5GTT - anyone remember Nickg123? he has had some great cars. When he eventually sold his uber rapid 5, about two weeks later it apparently blew up!!! lol