ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.8 16v engine cutting out

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

r19 16v keep trying to cut out on roundabouts or sharp corners, its my mates car,

checked:

tank & stack -ok

fuel pump and connections -ok

fuel filter and lines -ok

throttle position sensor wiring was burnt, replaced sensor and wiring

all other electrics appear fine

plenty of fuel pressure in rail

plugs & leads all good

the question is, is there a known fault on this engine? to save time before i go any deeper i thought id ask you guys:D

Earth?

Cant think of many other obvious things which would cause a car to cut out only on corners!

What about if going straight and clutch goes in? Does it idle OK?

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

idles fine, startes first turn, no hesitation in a straight line and plenty of power! its an odd one, however im probably missing the bleedin obvious:sleep:

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

major loss of power (hesitation) then it picks up straight away, the hesitation occours on turn in but only on sharp turns

[Edited by benji&eka on 29 August 2005 at 10:40pm]

Mines been doing this.......Like traction control:p lol

I think mine is due to not running a raincatcher on the bonnet and water getting in to the spark plugs......only happens if its been left in a shower/down poor.

Clio Mk1 Hybrid

mine was doing as winston said a while back but with a rain catcher, check the ecu connections arent corroded and the ecu is held down also how much fuel is in the car cos if my car is low on fuel then it cuts out when flat out in 4th gear due to fuel starvation

Dave
Also a way to tell if its electrical is if when it cuts out does the rev counter drop down to zero? as there electrical they usually just cut and drop straight down as ur turning the key off but if its fuel the rev counter should drop slowly

[Edited by number1 on 30 August 2005 at 6:17pm]

For some reason my car has started doing the same thing this evening, nice warm day, no reason why it should do - car was running fine when I drove to London yesterday.

Standard valver, exhaust, decat, filter, fse (dont know what pressure its running unfortunately but the nut is tight enough and doesnt appear to have adjusted itself so I would presume its not that).

Drives fast enough at full throttle - but tries to cut out at junctions and on a very gentle throttle, just very gently accelerating or holding speed it really doesnt like it and burbles hard (bad explanation I know!). I need to check a few things before I really worry - but its a coincidence my car is doing pretty much the same as yours.

That said, mine isnt just on corners. Its happening all the time now.

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

i found the prob on the 19!!!!!!! at last just finished!!!!!

a small peice of plastic had broken off inside the aibox and was blocking the intake pipe completely on right handers and moving back when you turn left!!!!!! couldnt beleive it!!! its fine now no problem at all!!

f ing thing - i think i need to go back to school! lol

172 ph1 ASBO SLAYER

Quote: Originally posted by mr_merc on 30 August 2005

For some reason my car has started doing the same thing this evening, nice warm day, no reason why it should do - car was running fine when I drove to London yesterday.

Standard valver, exhaust, decat, filter, fse (dont know what pressure its running unfortunately but the nut is tight enough and doesnt appear to have adjusted itself so I would presume its not that).

Drives fast enough at full throttle - but tries to cut out at junctions and on a very gentle throttle, just very gently accelerating or holding speed it really doesnt like it and burbles hard (bad explanation I know!). I need to check a few things before I really worry - but its a coincidence my car is doing pretty much the same as yours.

That said, mine isnt just on corners. Its happening all the time now.
overfulling?, remove the fse and put the standard valve back on and try it down the road