ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1 owner clio cup 172 -21k miles - whats it worth

Hi all been a clio fan for a long time, owned a few over the last 30 years of driving.

A friend has just offered me a 1 owner clio cup 172, done 21k miles,, it is an air con model which i believe is rare, its been stored in a dry garage an not turned a wheel since 2014, i have hpi and mot checked it all appears correct, reg is wp53wwv had afew mot failers in its early life, is this normal

It looks fantastic in the flesh, paint looks correct, wheels have been refurb due to some kerb rash, tyres recently all replaced, all brake discs changed, had a cambelt recently.

Looking for advise on price please, im just looking to keep it and use it sparingly

Cheers

adamlstr

ClioSport Club Member
Looking up the MOT history, it's only really failed on brake efficiency and perishables.

There's a fail in there for the bonnet mechanism, which was a recall on them back in 2012/2013.

The rear brake efficiency, there's a VOSA bulletin explaining this. That many MOT places aren't aware of, specific to the 172 Cup.

Page 8 - https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121207053848/http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT Issue 31 - Apr 2006.pdf

If the condition matches the mileage then it's a unicorn indeed. I would ensure the bonnet catch recall was done, and that the brakes have been serviced recently.

Mbeau

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Wow that must be amazing. Get some pics up if you buy it. That will be a great buy and one of the lowest mileage around. Price wise @R-Sport can prob give you a good idea. 8k plus is prob around the right area. Mates rates though who knows.......??

Mondial Blue 172 Cup
Looking up the MOT history, it's only really failed on brake efficiency and perishables.

There's a fail in there for the bonnet mechanism, which was a recall on them back in 2012/2013.

The rear brake efficiency, there's a VOSA bulletin explaining this. That many MOT places aren't aware of, specific to the 172 Cup.

Page 8 - https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20121207053848/http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/repository/MoT Issue 31 - Apr 2006.pdf

If the condition matches the mileage then it's a unicorn indeed. I would ensure the bonnet catch recall was done, and that the brakes have been serviced recently.

I still find it hilarious that the car on there has a tow bar every time I see it.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
One of those cars it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Somewhere in the region of 8-10k I'd say is reasonable although not sure I would part with that personally!

Reactions: riz
  Mondial Blue 172 Cup
One of those cars it's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Somewhere in the region of 8-10k I'd say is reasonable although not sure I would part with that personally!

Definitely keeping hold of mine and although it'll never be worth a lot it's nice that they are now on the up.

I reckon 8k+ for a collector who wants one in their stable. I picked up 1 owner from new completely standard 172 Cup on 95k every receipt from new and have then refreshed everything OEM, looks like similar cars sell around 4-5k now so the one you are looking at on those miles probably double for a collector, sound like a car to only own to pamper and occasional drive, so go for it if that what you'd like. 👍🏻

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
One owner Cup on 49k miles with a few small issues was bought for £8,135 earlier this month.

Given mileage is very important to some I’d imagine a wealthy chap would have no issue paying considerably more for this one then.

At half the mileage of that one it has to be £10k doesn’t it? Sounds crazy but must be given the mileage.

Lucky the belts have been done otherwise it’d only be worth £500 on here though lol

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
I also know of a 172 Cup with <25k on it. 1 owner from new. But because it hasn’t done the mileage, the owner hasn’t had the belts done! 😅 even after me saying it’s age or mileage, whichever comes first. Makes me shudder!

The owner is in his late 60’s.

Last edited:

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
@jong

Probably ballpark around 8-8500 (private)

It could be worth more & thats really how you would convince a collector how it had been stored & how it had been looked after during that time.

For instance lets say you have 2 of these side by side.

- One had been store on the drive for 4-5 years never moved, tyres all flat looking sorry for itself - been out in the rain etc

or

- Dry stored in a large collection in a carcoon with the wheels removed & everything lubricated regularly etc

Then you could see how there could still end up being a large disparity in prices.

Sounds like its sound & all ok > mint > maybe? maybe a few bits to do do neither scenario above seems likely to have a negative or postive influence.

£8-8500 ish then ....

I note the 182 thats was on Ebay at £13k has now been dropped to £12k.
Be interesting to see what that ends up selling for.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Having not moved in 6 years it'll need a grand or so spent on it for recommissioning.

Potentially worth 8-10k to a collector, but it'll need to be in excellent condition, detailed to factory fresh condition and all that.

One owner Cup on 49k miles with a few small issues was bought for £8,135 earlier this month.

Most people were in agreement that he overpaid for that car tho, so it's not a great benchmark.

Most people were in agreement that he overpaid for that car tho, so it's not a great benchmark.
Surely the actual sale price of an actual car with a very similar spec is a better benchmark than social-media speculation.

I personally wouldn't pay too much credence to the opinion of existing owners, many of whom have become accustomed to prices being 2-3k for 10+ years and therefore find it difficult to get used to the idea of an £8k Cup.

The sort of buyer who is looking for a 21k miles 1 owner Clio is not the sort to be found on the Clio forums.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Surely the actual sale price of an actual car with a very similar spec is a better benchmark than social-media speculation.

Not when it's one single sale and massively higher than the rest of the market, then it's clearly an anomalous outlier.

It's not like 172 Cup's are stupidly rare and never hit the market.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Not when it's one single sale and massively higher than the rest of the market, then it's clearly an anomalous outlier.

It's not like 172 Cup's are stupidly rare and never hit the market.

Two have sold in the last month > both 172 Cups as well.

Marks old one was the second one

E0B83349-5792-4C27-9585-ACFEAD729038.jpeg

Also Jamie Gill sold his for high 6s & the mileage was >100k

Last edited:

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I probably sold that when it was new!

if I owned that car, I’d spend the inevitable £1500 that it’s going to need (tyres, brakes, belts, servicing) and put it up for £7995. Maybe even £8995 If it’s super clean.

Ocsltd

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup & 182 Trophy
That's a lovely car with cracking mileage, and rare, but for me with it having air con, kinda takes away what makes the car so special in my eyes. A basic, stripped out, lightweight hot hatch..... It's a bit like having 20 chicken McNuggets, large fries and a Diet Coke.

I still wouldn't say no like.... 🤣

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Two have sold in the last month > both 172 Cups as well.

Marks old one was the second one

Also Jamie Gill sold his for high 6s & the mileage was >100k

and one 50k example went on eBay for 600 notes, so clearly there's a big spread in the market.

Ant1

Brembo! Brembo! Brembo!
ClioSport Club Member
Sold my 2 owner (including me) cup with 67k on the clock for 5.5k Sept 19. Dry use and dry stored from new and never been jacked up on sills etc, was mint,

However due to not being used for 8 years it would need all the usual service work and tyres before use so would of been a 7k car to the new owner once done.

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
I know the guy who purchased the recent 172 Cup for £8,500. I’m going to take a look at it tomorrow. He paid less than what he was willing to pay too. Take from that what you will, but I’m willing to bet OP’s car should be £10k minimum and that someone will pay it too.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Saw this tucked up at the bodyshop under a pile of leaves
4 flat tyres covered in sh*t

80k.

0937889A-F09C-44EB-B4AD-C54F8ABF064C.jpeg

One of the reasons why Clios don‘t fetch good prices is because they haven’t been advertised properly.

People spending £8k on a Clio aren’t considering cheap cars on eBay or buying on Facebook groups.

When was the last time you saw a really good advert for a mk2 Clio?

Collecting Cars shows what can be achieved if you target the right audience and make a bit of an effort with copy and photos. In fact many of the buyers there buy on the strength of the advert without viewing the car.

The CC car had an absolutely pukka history too, which is what you need at this price point.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
One of the reasons why Clios don‘t fetch good prices is because they haven’t been advertised properly.

People spending £8k on a Clio aren’t considering cheap cars on eBay or buying on Facebook groups.

When was the last time you saw a really good advert for a mk2 Clio?

Collecting Cars shows what can be achieved if you target the right audience and make a bit of an effort with copy and photos. In fact many of the buyers there buy on the strength of the advert without viewing the car.

The CC car had an absolutely pukka history too, which is what you need at this price point.

Its exactly the same as the V6 > I listed one for £35995 a few years ago with perfect pics & awsome history > The car was of course good as well.
At the time it was well over the market price but it sold pretty easy.

Its amazing how poor some adverts can be !