ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% standard cars

Clio
only mod mine has are lower wider tyers been that way for 7 years and never let me down in the 69 thousand miles ive done from new

Mod the Clio and buy a second car to keep it it standard if $$ available. But a clio with buckets, exhaust, stearing wheel, no rear seats its fun to drive lol!!

Mk1 16v brooklands
I do find it funny that nearly all these cars are modded in some way, and we now have to spend money putting them back to standard lol

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I've been modifying cars now for around 6-7 years, I'm starting to get bored of it now and seriously considering just a remap on my next car. You can get plenty of options from dealers now to make the car look great from the factory so that's probably the next steps some time in 2012

Standard car = nobody takes pictures of it at FCS.

Unless your name is Brian and it's a LY 200. Then more people take pictures than they would if an alien landed.

Listerine & Poledo
Mechanically standard, its just those damned stripes on mine.
Never been interested in ruining... sorry, modifying, cars.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Standard car = nobody takes pictures of it at FCS.

Unless your name is Brian and it's a LY 200. Then more people take pictures than they would if an alien landed.

Mine has different wheels and it didnt get a pic :(

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
I've searched the pics and can't find anything for mine either. Not that I'm bothered though its just another iceburg

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
5801427720_1ee00ba2ae.jpg

Evo 5 RS
tbh I wouldn't ever want to go back to the stock engine. A proper mapped F4R running throttle bodies is far more drivable. There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with standard, however if we all had this mind-set that standard is the new modified, which for some reason seems to be the in thing at the moment, this forum would be a bit dull

Seems ruining is a matter of opinion, the only thing I regret with mine is not doing a bit of research first. I suppose you could argue that it depends how much money you're willing to chuck at it, and also whether or not you're happy with not seeing 90% of it back. I quite frankly love the s**t out of the way my car drives now, and it gives me a rush every time I drive it. I think a few (not all) of you need to understand that just because standard makes more sense to you doesn't mean it's better. Better in terms of what? Like the coilover debate.."Urgh why ruin the ride on a road car". The B14 kit is an amazing bit of kit, and doesn't have to be slammed on it's arse - it's also no where near what you would call harsh and also massively improved over standard (yet apparently standard is better?)

That's my opinion anyway. The 172 is a perfectly capable car out of the box, there isn't however anything wrong with improving it. Choosing not to is out of choice, and a few of you would probably lose sleep over the thought of not seeing that money back. I do get that, however don't knock people that choose to do otherwise, it's a bit like snobbery.

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
Tbh I fitted the FK konigsports to my 172 cup and honeslty thought I'd ruined the car, after having a play around and a set-up done down at JMS it does make a lot more sense, the rear still doesn't feel connected but that should be sorted with a whiteline RARB.

I would say that a standard car is a great bit of kit, it can be improved in area's without straying too far away from the standard package.

DB.

BMW 440i
The daily racket of an exhaust gets on my nerves, doesn't sound great when driving past normally on a road either. That's why I got rid.

Only sounds nice on the odd occasions when booting it!

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
this is why i like having 2 cars somthing to modify that doesnt need to be a compromise and somthing quiet/cumfy/cheap to run for every day.

manufacturers seem to be taking insperation from owners and the mods they carry out so production cars need less and less to modify, look at the 197/200, it already comes with brembos, options like recaros/tints/wheel colours/spoilers/splitters. so if you buy one specced with speedlines in ur colour choice, with the spoiler you want with recaros then where do you start modding?

Listerine & Poledo
this is why i like having 2 cars somthing to modify that doesnt need to be a compromise and somthing quiet/cumfy/cheap to run for every day.

manufacturers seem to be taking insperation from owners and the mods they carry out so production cars need less and less to modify, look at the 197/200, it already comes with brembos, options like recaros/tints/wheel colours/spoilers/splitters. so if you buy one specced with speedlines in ur colour choice, with the spoiler you want with recaros then where do you start modding?

You don't, you get a warrany instead.

I'm sure most people start modifying the things because it often works out cheaper then replacing standard parts lol

350z, Subaru Legacy
My first 182 was loud, low and generally a bit awful. It had fallen victim to previous chav owners. But it could put one hell of a smile on my face in the right situation though...

My next one was mint, well looked after and mostly standard apart from a few 'choice' mods - Brembo's, DS2500s, Braided lines etc. It was a thoroughly driveable car, and a comfortable place to be. I had no intention of changing it or making any drastic mods in the immediate future as it was such a good car as it was, speedbumps were no mean feat! Old ladies didn't scowl at me thundering past! But unfortunately this ended when I was rudely shunted from behind on the way to work and had it written off. :(

When looking for my next car I was tempted by a few cars including Clubsport BMW 330's and a few other refined ones. But I just didn't want to lose that connection with the road - so opted to play safe and get another Clio lol.

I spent a good while trying to hunt down that perfect replacement to become my third FF RB 182. But the right cars just weren't on the market at the right time. So I put my fixation with the colour out of my head lol :eek: and decided if I couldn't get a mint low miles RB, that I just wanted the best Clio in terms of performance that I could possibly buy - with a view to it being my last Clio. Which I would either keep and have as a future 2nd car/toy or sell/strip at some point and simply upgrade to something newer.

I ended up with Dave's old Clio 182 - TBs, mild cams, decat, lowered 60mm with 15s, no access to the rear seats... It's a high miler, but has had a good life.
Now this car is anything but standard, strapping into a harness everytime reminds me of that. My circumstances have changed though, I've stopped driving the 50miles a day for work and started getting the train, which was s**t today as it was raining!! :S but after my accident, it reminded me how bloody dangerous it is and how much it was costing me driving to work so was time for a change. To be honest, I can't get this Clio in the work carpark unless I was to raise it up anyway :eek: haha so practical no... But the car is on rails and there is nothing quite like the noise of this car under acceleration, I think I'm going to write off the idea of music in the car, you can hardly hear it!

There are pros and cons to both and I definitely feel the whole grass is greener thing applies here; when I have 'standard' I want something much more special, when I have modified impractical cars - I yearn to be able to tackle a speedbump lol.

As said by somebody else, 2 cars is ideal. Track toy and something you can take your gran out in.

Tunst

ClioSport Club Member
  Focus ST225, Focus E
Are you still unhappy about the fact no one took a picture of your motor? LOL!!!

If you'd done the parade lap etc, you'd have had a better chance!

Yes!

and as i told you on the phone i had to go as my nephew was taken to hospital :(