ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% standard cars

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Personally i think you are almost right, but not quite.

If modifications address obvious shortcomings with a standard part (like the topmount washer, braided lines or even a headunit) then i think it should be done.
But silly suspension that renders a road car useless, or a show roll cage. Utterly pointless.

I think you are correct, but again...up to a point.

Silly suspension that drops a car on its arse for no good reason other than the idea that it looks 'sik' is utterly pointless IMO. Again its personal preference but a car that low just puts two fingers up to common sense.....as do the owners.
'Focused' suspension that is for performance, to improve a cars dynamic ability, can and usually is a pain in the balls on normal roads...but its not pointless.

cafcross

ClioSport Club Member
The mods my car has are ones that were needed as the stock items had run their time.

K-Tec stealth to replace the horrible Janspeed rear box and rusty centre section that was on mine, Brembo HC discs to replace the warped and worn standard discs, with Mintex pads replacing the worn standard pads, and an ITG panel filter to replace the restrictive standard filter. The only mod I've chosen through choice is some Turinis to go on as my standard 172 wheels are kerbed and for an extra £200 over a refurb I can get some freshly refurbed Turinis off a mate with 2 new T1-Rs on. A Cup spoiler might follow, but that's just enhancing standard looks, nothing too major, and possibly an OMP steering wheel to replace my monged up standard one as it's much cheaper than buying a standard one to replace it with.

If I bought a 197 or 200 now then I wouldn't touch it other than possibly replacing the panel filter and exhaust and with something less restrictive, but not loud. Renault spend so much on these cars developing them in terms of suspension and handling, especially with the Cup suspension. They wouldn't have their own brand in Renault Sport otherwise.

I've had my modifying fun with my Lupo GTI which involved coilovers, £1000 wheels and interior changes. I'm so glad I'm not into the VW scene anymore otherwise I would be spending so much. Yes I love the look of euro/JDM cars but the money put in isn't justified imo anymore.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Standard FTW and also Oem+ ftw.

My car afaik is 100% factory standard, brakes exhaust all standard. Tyres are the only thing I know of that are different.

ASW!

P1040347.jpg

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
:eek:

Ollie it's a Cat B fire damage I thought you would approve.

Arch Gap...

2790362-5.jpg

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
:eek:

Ollie it's a Cat B fire damage I thought you would approve.

Really? So they catch fire huh? ;)

Actually i rather like them. Guy i worked with had one with the number plate T1CK F. Plate was worth more than the car though...

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
2 years after the topic started and I'm in agreement.

My Ph1 is standard (bar some cone air filter thing which is getting ditched next week) and I love it. I did buy some wheels and intended to go down the silly colour/coilover route. But what's the point? Extra money. Modded cars cost more to insure. They break more often. Gain bad attention. Limit it's uses. Always watching for bumps.

My car is comfy (for the type of car I want), it's not noisy, it's not stupidly low, I can carry 4 people, I've got a boot and I've still got a bit of pace when I want it.

It's also totally inconspicuous. To most it's just a silver Clio and while I would love to be an ASW and have a LY V6 or something, the Ph1 is perfectly understated.

I'm getting old but Dan2 is spot on. Standard FTW.

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

After this weekend, the only thing on my car that's obviously not standard will be the suspension. To most, the car will look pretty much standard, but it'll be lower.

Baring in mind my car is a daily, the lows don't really do anything other than make it much more fun to drive when I want to have a laugh, and IMO the ph1 looks so good just lowered, nothing else.

Coilovers Daniel, do it.

Apart from the obvious, my car is modded to hell, but no average Joe would ever really notice.

Just the way I like it.

I think for a good few years I'll change the suspension on most cars I'd own.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
A guy posted some pics of an RB 182 with standard silver wheels and standard ride height etc a while ago. It looked so much better than if it had white wheels with colour coded badges and slammed on its arse (no offense to anyone in particular!)

IMO

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
Really? So they catch fire huh? ;)

Actually i rather like them. Guy i worked with had one with the number plate T1CK F. Plate was worth more than the car though...

Ah I have seen pics, plate is stunning. I actually thought it was a show plate mate. "FRP" plates are really cheap. Circa £150 for a 5 digit one ending FRP.

I really need to get one actually! It's the rentention costs and all that s**t that annoys me!

Cool thread :)

The Panzer Bean is basically standard except for uprated brakes, no arch liners and no fog lights. I can't see it staying that way though. In order of priority I'm almost certain to be doing;

• Brake ducting
  • Toyo R888 - possibly on 15" track rims
  • Momo Tuner steering wheel (lose cruise control and airbag :()
  • Coilover upgrade with a ~60mm drop
  • Buckets & harnesses, and strippage
  • ITBs (less likely)

Lols! Oh how times have changed!

Gally

ClioSport Club Member
I'll let you park close to the FRP is you bring your Swedish wagon to CSS. ;)

Sprint 172
Standard for me - it works fine. I'm rebuilding mine to as new condition atm. Only 2 modifications here (3 if you count the calliper colour)...
complete1.gif

Clio 172
I've grown out of it alot now.

Although what do you class as modifications - I have Cup springs on my 172, however they're still a Renault item - if I were to put a Cup spoiler on it, is it a modification or enhancement?

182cup & 172 racecar
Nothing wrong with standard,Iv'e always said this.I wouldn't want anymore or less out of my car thankyou.

BREMBO

ClioSport Club Member
  V6 Mk1, Golf GTI Mk5
Dont really see me going down this route again. Lowering my car the way I did just wrecked it. Next step for me is a nice car and keep it 100% standard but just keep it stupidly clean!

I'm sorry but you're wrong.

After this weekend, the only thing on my car that's obviously not standard will be the suspension. To most, the car will look pretty much standard, but it'll be lower.

Baring in mind my car is a daily, the lows don't really do anything other than make it much more fun to drive when I want to have a laugh, and IMO the ph1 looks so good just lowered, nothing else.

Coilovers Daniel, do it.

Apart from the obvious, my car is modded to hell, but no average Joe would ever really notice.

Just the way I like it.

I think for a good few years I'll change the suspension on most cars I'd own.

Yours does look better but it's cost you a fair wedge of cash and your time.

I could take my bump strips/handles off. Prep/spray them and put them back on. But I can't be arsed.

You know I was going to get coilovers and I chatted to you about it and I didn't just to get crappy ones like Spax or cut the springs. I wanted to do it properly but that's not cheap and then there's fitting costs and it is less usable when it's on it's arse.

They might only be minor changes but they still are changes. Changes that should effect your insurance. Changes that take time and money. Changes that I just can't be arsed to do.

I think money is one of the big reasons mine is staying standard. It just doesn't seem worth doing these things anymore.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
Its rather amusing how the general mindset of people on this forum comes full circle.

From buying the car in standard form once upon a time, through all the tinkering, light modifications, some go the clean freak route, others go Euro/slammed/hardparkers whilst the other more determined types go on to the larger more expensive changes that are mostly track/faster road orientated until you either take the leap onto full strippage, cages, buckets and harnesses, TB's, cams, turbos or 'chargers until one day you think YESS!!!...........then all of a sudden you get sick of the rattles and faults, strip the lot, go back to standard and sell on....because you sat in a nice and comfy 200/250/A3/Leon/Focus etc etc and wondered why you ever needed such 'uncouthness' (PS...you are now old).

Only to return to the french 's**t box' because you can't live without it. But this time it must be mint and standard.....all that modding is for losers after all....;)

Bus w**ker
Twenty three and a half :D
Come back in 6 and a half years, your opinion will have changed. You'll also be old. :(
I think money is one of the big reasons mine is staying standard. It just doesn't seem worth doing these things anymore.
It's not, especially not on a 10 year old FPOS. I've spent tens of thousands on car mods over the years and at one point ended up in a stupid amount of debt, for what? A car that attracts the attention of knobheads, thieves, chavs and a lower resale value. I can though understand the OEM+ thing, if its actually making a practical improvement over standard.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I've always followed the less is more kind of route. Usually just fit (decent) coilovers. Then after that just make it super clean. Cba with zorst/filters and the like, the noise just pissed me off, nothing worse than driving whilst knackered with some crappy ktec stealth booming away. I've had my 197 cup since Sept and its still stock bar an upgraded hu. I have some kw coilovers in the shed. They've been there for a good two months. Really debating weather or not to fit them as in stock form the cup is superb

RX7 FD
An interesting topic. I have never really modified any of my cars but I am extremely tempted to enhance the Trophy. As I know I will be keeping her for many years due to impending house purchase and the subsequent lack of funds for more cars!

If I am honest the lack of noise, other than a frantic sound from the standard exhaust lets the experience down for me me so I am tempted by a Yozza and some JMS goodies. I severely doubt there will be any aesthetic changes and definitely no suspension changes!

I'm glad this thread is still going... its interesting to see people's opinions change, who have swapped cars and kept the new one standard.

FYI my Audi is completely as it left the factory other than a Revo Stage 1 map... but it's a diesel and REALLY improves it.

I have the best OEM+ mods available for my heap. Mountune and APs. Although I hear that for £500, I can remap it from there to 400hp-400lb/ft. LOL try resisting that urge :eek:

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
I think i have many more years of modding cars ahead of me before i settle down,

i hate the look of arch gap on any car, and zero confidence in a car unless im in a set of buckets with harnesses!!
i love my exhaust and wouldnt have my valver any other way!!

SAYING that, when sat in completely standard cars, i do see why people would want to keep them standard, theyre so much nicer to be in!!

having two cars FTMFW!!

Disastra Coupe
I 100% understand what you're saying. When i first got my 172 i loved the fact it was smooth etc... The only thing that annoyed me was the s**t exhaust a previous owner had put on, although it was very quiet it just looked ugly.

I'm certainly not modding my 172 to the extent i did my Saxo. I LOVED my Saxo but there were time's i wished it wasn't so heavily modded. Rolling into a pub car park in a modded Saxo and seeing some flash car's with people stood round them isn't the best feeling lol.

The Clio looks a lot more standard and instantly makes me feel less of a dickhead sometimes lol.

Focus
I will be putting my 172 back to standard, to be fair the only mod it has got is a milltek cat-back, but on a recent trip across Europe it completely spoilt the whole journey, was noisy and just droned. Much preferred it standard. I've always been under the impression Renault designed the car to be the best it can for the millions they spend designing it, why change it? I understand people like to make the cars individual, but you get my drift. :rasp:

Clio 1.2 16v
I love standard cars, nothing wrong with some OEM parts, or some subtle mods. I hope to get a PH1 in the near future and buy some willy wheels and coilovers, that'll probably be it for me though.

Ace topic.

DB.

BMW 440i
I had my 206, modded it and then sold it with just the OEM+ mods left on it.

Bought my 182 and bought an exhaust and few other bits and bobs, but then took it back to standard other than the HU and prefer it this way! Much better without the exhaust tbh!

Astra Twintop
Mine's standard aside from the Induction Kit put on by a previous owner.

Can barely find any aftermarket bits for it!