ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

100% standard cars

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Psg streetfighter kit owns!

mondeo_streetfighter_3.jpg

I love the double lipped side-skirts

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
my cup was so much better after i added the H&Rs. That was lowered a fair bit too as you can imagine. It looked a lot better too. Im not a fan of after mkt exhausts and filters tho.

LY V6 with Recaros
I've always done minor modifications to my cars, but only lowering, exhausts and small bits. It makes my car feel a bit more individual even though it's nothing major. I've kept the vee standard though apart from seats. Although I have considered an exhaust for that too, but tbh I'm happy enough with it as it is.

S3, Polo
My mods tend to be returning a rotter to its former glory! Undoing the labours of wannabe Westwoods, if you will.

If I keep a car, I like to make my mods subtle - things that improve upon possible budgetary constraints of the manufacturer (stainless exhaust, port/ polish, stainless fastenings, etc.) while keeping it looking stock.

Never cut corners, IME it will bite you on the ass later.

I then sell the car - with a clear conscience that I'm selling a good, solid car at a good price for the potential buyer and making some pocket money for me! Seems to have worked a charm for the last 15 years!

Mustang, S13, AX GT
not read through too much but I'm on the reverse of it now, I had modified cars from the start and spent a small fortune on my 1.2 clio but on my Iggy Sport I literally only bought a couple of bits to improve the handling such as ARBs and strut braces and some wider wheels. My 197 was completely 100% as I got it from Renault. I loved every minute of driving the 197 but I cant wait to get stuck into modifying the 200SX more. I dont do it for other people I love have a 'sorted' car which I intend the S13 to be. Once its sorted on the handling and tuning front I'm gonna start changing the bodywork because I want to stare at my car and I want to think it looks ace.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Must admit, looking back I made some poor taste modification-wise to a few cars I've owned before. Most recent though is standard. Besides Silvervisions that it has now, it's staying that way.
When did the baby trophy go?

Trophy #490
My Trophy is my first 'proper' car of my own, so have only done very minor things to it such as silver-visions, an induction kit, and a three-quarter plate. I'm considering an Orbisoud, but it doesn't need anything else as all of the Renaultsport Clio range are fantastic out of the box IMO. The insurance already rapes me because I am young, so the whole 'modding' thing hasn't really gripped me.

However, if I had something such as a Supra or a Skyline, I would always be buying things for them!

VaVa
I got a bit arsed with my mods and sold a couple.... then looked at a standard 172 and thought... mine looks much better. lol.

Only done the basic bolt on stuff. At it's most modified it had

ITG Maxogen (Had Viper prior, now ITG panel - gash :(), Hillpower Inlets, Renaultsport GrpN ECU, Uprated fuel pressure regualator, Janspeed decat, Prospeed Cat back Exhaust (replaced with much better GDI/Piper jobbie later), Speedline Turinis ET38, Brembo Discs and Greenstuff pads, Cup Spoiler, Cup Splitter, Eibach Pros, CTR aerial.

Oh and some Hillpower strut top covers lol.

Given my time again, although I think it looks nicer, I doubt I'd touch it. Doubt I'd ever do much more than a remap in future tbh, although depsite the exterior mods the only real after market looking thing on mine is the exhaust.

RB 200 Cup!
I've been driving modified clio's for 6 years now. Firstly my 1.4 16v, then my Ph1 172, and up until now my 182.

Over the last month I've returned the 182 back to standard, removing all modifications. I'll be honest and say I'm enjoying it more now then ever before! Taking the exhaust and breathing mods off has made no difference to the performance at all... and I'm really enjoying the car for what it is.

Its strange. I think it's a mental thing knowing that the car's completely standard, I'm loving it! I don't think there are many people in the club who still have a standard car. Each to their own and all that, but I've done the whole modification thing now. Would I do it again? Nope.

Modifications, overrated?

Ive had modified clios in the past but now have a completely standard RB 182 and gotta say its by far my favourite car ive ever owned

Ph1 172 + Combo van
Im definately going to cut down on the mods on future cars. I just spent 5 hours this evening/night fitting a new manifold to my car. Its not even meant for my car so ive been relocating oil filters. tapping treads into my engine block and moving sensors around. It still isn't a very good fit and makes me wonder why i bought it in the first place when there was no problem with the old one. Could have put the £165 towards a new car or something more useful:(

200 cup & 106 GTi
Standard is the way forward, even gruyere clio exhausts!

Ok i've done a few bits like binning the poverty spec doorcards and rear seats, proper decent audio and better front brakes, that's nothing major. The seats improve comfort and interior quality, stereo makes it a nicer place to be also, and covers up the squeeks and rattles, and the brakes aren't great as standard, better ones have no downside apart from price.

DCi
my clio is the first car i've modified. although only lightly.

ive done the exhaust - mainly because renault wanted 1200 and a milltek was 600
the induction kit - because it sounds cool :p
and the brakes - because i was an idiot and let the pads scratch the disks and i see no harm in being able to stop quicker :D

when i get shot of the clio i will probably go back to a cheap as chips car for a bit (i will only get rid of the clio if i have to when i move out tbh) and then i wont modify again, insurance hassle and restrictive on who will quote me FTL

Black 197
I'm picking my new car up on Wednesday next week, 57 plate 197 in Black, Apart from the cup spoiler it's staying STANDARD, I'll prob add the front cup splitter and maybe the extra side skirts just because it really suits the car but engine/suspension/brakes will stay standard for me.. Less agro and saves pennies too...

BMW M5 & E36
Old thread bump.

I've just removed a Yozzasport and decat exhaust from my 182 and replaced it with a standard system. Admittedly the decat is still on, but I've fallen in love with the car again! Being able to sit at 70 and hold a conversation and listen to the radio is brilliant.

Have I grown up a bit? Maybe so.

Old thread bump.

I've just removed a Yozzasport and decat exhaust from my 182 and replaced it with a standard system. Admittedly the decat is still on, but I've fallen in love with the car again! Being able to sit at 70 and hold a conversation and listen to the radio is brilliant.

Have I grown up a bit? Maybe so.

aaaahhhh see, someone who's done the same as me!

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
So what happens when the prefered, standard exhaust system rusts and falls off?!?! I dont want to pay Renault prices but I also don't want a noisy exhaust lol.

BMW M5 & E36
aaaahhhh see, someone who's done the same as me!

It's the way forwards! I thought of this thread as I was doing it. Actually looking forward to my nice quiet ride to work at 6 in the morning now.

So what happens when the prefered, standard exhaust system rusts and falls off?!?! I dont want to pay Renault prices but I also don't want a noisy exhaust lol.

I'll buy another one 2nd hand, same as this one. It did get the wire brush and VHT paint treatment before I put it on though, so I'm hoping that might help a little.

Cool thread :)

The Panzer Bean is basically standard except for uprated brakes, no arch liners and no fog lights. I can't see it staying that way though. In order of priority I'm almost certain to be doing;

• Brake ducting
  • Toyo R888 - possibly on 15" track rims
  • Momo Tuner steering wheel (lose cruise control and airbag :()
  • Coilover upgrade with a ~60mm drop
  • Buckets & harnesses, and strippage
  • ITBs (less likely)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
i love my car with mods, ive got a good power gain, better brakes and handling BUT the one thing i will say is i cant wait till my mrs gets her 182 so ive got a standard one that still looks good, goes very well and handles well but without the noise of the exhaust

Tav

Clio 197

Get a milltek and keep your cat. convertor?

I think for a road car Renault prob. took it has far as they needed to with the Trophy. Perhaps some better brake pads, matched inlets to sort out their mistake and that'd be about it.

Must admit, looking back I made some poor taste modification-wise to a few cars I've owned before. Most recent though is standard. Besides Silvervisions that it has now, it's staying that way.

mk3_14-16v_dynamique.jpg

my car is back to this now but i cant bear to look at it! People are right theres better thing to spend money on but i go through fazes where i agree and disagree with that....

The ClioSport models out of the box don't *need* any modifications, they look right (trim, ride height etc), ride and handle nicely etc IMO.

Ph 1 172
i wish mine was standard dont like the alloys it came with nor do i like the window tints. just no money to change them back lol

Window tints should just peel off and then just use kind of solvent to clean the remainding glue off the glass.

I love all the mods on my car, I'm only 18 so I've got plenty time to drive a sensible standard car when I'm older.

2 years after the topic started and I'm in agreement.

My Ph1 is standard (bar some cone air filter thing which is getting ditched next week) and I love it. I did buy some wheels and intended to go down the silly colour/coilover route. But what's the point? Extra money. Modded cars cost more to insure. They break more often. Gain bad attention. Limit it's uses. Always watching for bumps.

My car is comfy (for the type of car I want), it's not noisy, it's not stupidly low, I can carry 4 people, I've got a boot and I've still got a bit of pace when I want it.

It's also totally inconspicuous. To most it's just a silver Clio and while I would love to be an ASW and have a LY V6 or something, the Ph1 is perfectly understated.

I'm getting old but Dan2 is spot on. Standard FTW.

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
You old fart. ;)

To be fair though I have a completely standard 306 HDi and it does me perfectly well....although i do long for a bucket seat in it.

My Cup is purely for my hooligan side......when im feeling flush. £20 of super only lasts me a weekend...:rolleyes:

Bus w**ker
I'm gonna sell my Ph1 just to get something totally standard...and not French. Modded cars are for losers.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Personally i think you are almost right, but not quite.

If modifications address obvious shortcomings with a standard part (like the topmount washer, braided lines or even a headunit) then i think it should be done.
But silly suspension that renders a road car useless, or a show roll cage. Utterly pointless.