ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

106 gti vs williams whats quicker?

mk1 phase 2 hybrid :-)
as above i deffo think williams is quicker but my mate has a 106 gti and thinks that its quicker but i dont!

320d
well the williams does 0-60 in 7.7 seconds and has a top speed of 134mph and the pug has a 0-60 time of 8.4 seconds and a tops speed of 128mph so on paper the williams is faster but the best way to find out would be with some lap times on a track day.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Williams is quicker to 60 then stats portray, this is due to the gearing. Where as most hot hatches are reaching 60 in 2nd @ circa six seconds the williams does it in 3rd (2nd @ limiter is 55mph).

7.7 is also the time for the valver, a common misconception, the williams is actually 7.4. If you look at the difference in perfomance of a williams after engine mods which not only raise power but red line (eg cams & remap) you will find that the diff in 60 is very dramatic and can drop it by a second.

I would say if you were to raise the limiter alone to just get as quick 60 times as poss im sure it would be late 6's.

I think the above paints a more realisitc image of its performance.

a.e

GT3 RS, Caterham Duratec.
Williams Easy. I used to have a 106 GTI and it felt faster but Williams wins every time. Having to use 3rd for 60mph makes the williams feel a little slow after 60mph its off.

Andrew

Z4
the 106 gti is basically a saxo vts, the gti results were tested with a full tank and a couple of passengers iirc. This was to keep the insurance ranking down, and it worked, so it's faster than the stats say! I would say the 106 gti would be faster, especially in the twisties

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD
0-60 times aren't really a good indicator of how fast a car is.

The Willy is a similar weight yet has more power and torque; both are very highly regarded for handling.

It would most likely be down to driver on a twisty track.

I'd suspect the Willy would have the edge, but the 106 may be a little cheaper to run?

Clio 182 + Recaros
On a track if I had to choice which won to drive to get a faster lap I'd be going for the Williams. I don't think there would be much in it though.

Fiesta ST
the 106 gti is basically a saxo vts, the gti results were tested with a full tank and a couple of passengers iirc. This was to keep the insurance ranking down, and it worked, so it's faster than the stats say! I would say the 106 gti would be faster, especially in the twisties

If the 106 GTI is similar to a VTS (same engine ain't it?) then that = Valver territory surely?!

Williams therefore, should beat the GTI and the VTS.

:S

Black S2 106 Rallye LHD

If the 106 GTI is similar to a VTS (same engine ain't it?) then that = Valver territory surely?!

Williams therefore, should beat the GTI and the VTS.

:S

106 GTi = Saxo VTS. The Peugeot is the gentleman's choice though :eek:

The Williams should outperform the 106, but the 106 has a nice, black interior, and galvanised shell :cool:

Dooby

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
vts ..mk.1 was 7.2 0-60, still have the brochure from when i bought one new in 1998 .. god im getting old.

SQ5
I have owned both, well a valver anyway :p

And they are both the same,

The valver handled nicely as did the 106, but the 106 sat quite high and was a bit prone to roll on some corners.

Gti was good fun to drive as it was a lot smaller it felt quicker, but it was fooking quick anyway!

Valver probably didn't pick up as quick but top end was the same as my 106.

Don't bother arguing they are equal lol!

Although I'd rather own a Williams due to its credibility and not being like a saxo! :p

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Found EVO August 2001 in the loft today. There is a comparison between Mini, Golf GTI, 205 GTI and Williams (3?) '95. It's a 60s/70s/80s/90s thing.

Anyway, it's also got a 106 GTI/Punto HGT/Yaris T Sport/MINI Cooper comparison article; and the first review of the 172 Mk2.

From reading the articles, all the cars were tested at the same time for the three articles, with the same gear. The Williams is a good one - "...a very fit and fresh example..." which would have beaten the 306 GTI which had won their earlier "Best Driver's Car In The Real World" test.

0-60
Williams 7.6s
106 7.4s
172 7.1s

0-100
Williams 20.8s
106 22.2s
172 20.0s

Slalom
Williams 7.25s
106 7.29s
172 7.21s

Lateral G
Williams 0.72G
106 0.74G
172 0.74G

TED overtaking test - no details how it's done
Willliams 5.85s
106 5.70s
172 5.65s

Dry Handling Lap
Williams 45.42s
106 44.60s
172 45.56s

All in all the Williams seems a little faster on straights and a little slower in corners than the 106. They commented the 106 suffered in the slalom as the tail was swinging a bit.

None of the figures individually tell you which is fastest in the real world as the 106 and Williams take turns winning tests, but on that day on that track the 106 was bit faster over the whole lap. They are very similar.

And the 172 (No ESP in 2001) lap shows how little real progress over the Williams there is on paper.

Fiat Coupe 20v turbo
stnd for stnd williams by a short head....once modified the williams will seriously spank the 106. 2.0 vs 1.6 tuning is no contest....

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Any indication on what track it was? Or did they just put some cones out on an airfield? :)
It's the MIRA Dry Handling Circuit. From memory, Evo claimed they were going to take all the cars they tested there, do the same tests, same drivers etc. and come up with a figure - the Evo Performance Rating. Shortly afterwards, they stopped. Just like recently when they said they would Rolling Road all cars too, IIRC.

Anyway, EPRs were
Williams 64.8
106 66.4
172 67.2
For what it's worth.

I can't scan or even take a pic of the mag (lost my mobile) so best I can do is try to describe the track...:eek:

Turn 1 is long RH but tightens onto
Main straight, which has what looks like an exact copy of the Casio chicane at Suzuka,
Turn 2 90 right
short slightly bent straight
Turn 3 long open 90 right
Straight with a copy of the old Bus Stop at Spa.

Can't be that long (a mile?) looking at the lap times. At a guess most of the lap barring the chicanes would be third/fourth gear.

Last edited:
I have a VTS and for what it is it can surprise a few bigger engined cars which is fun.

I would say that the Williams would win overall just because of the extra power and engine capacity which will help greatly from 60 onwards.

Z4
oops I was getting the valver mixed up with the williams! As the williams has 140bhp I would have to go for that on the straights, allthough there won't be much in it.

Valver
I've had a go with a couple of 106 gtis in my almost fully standard valver and have beaten them by a fair bit, I'm pretty sure a Williams would eat it for breakfast.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
After owning a Valver and a 172 and now a GTi.

I think the man in his williams might be suprised when he doesn't lose the GTi on his tail.

S2000
In general I would say a williams fairly easily from my experiences. My hybrid (valver with williams engine) does 0-60 in low 6's with only an exhaust, IK kit and chipped and there are many examples of other williams doing the same thing. There will never be a huge amount in it between many of these hot hatches but I know that in my hybrid I could shake off a gti fairly easily.

I've had a go with a couple of 106 gtis in my almost fully standard valver and have beaten them by a fair bit, I'm pretty sure a Williams would eat it for breakfast.

My mate has a valver and it seems to take alot longer than my VTS to get on the power. Also as mentioned the gearing on the VTS/106 Gti is pretty good for low down acceleration.

You can't have both been on the throttle at the same time to beat them by a fair bit ..... it all depends on what you mean by 'a fair bit i guess'.

I would say standard for standard VTS/Gti and Valvers are very close .... depends on more driver ability..... whereas i think the Williams would win pretty much every time.

I have had a saxo vts, williams and 172. The williams is quicker than the vts, the vts could kind of hold on at lower speeds but get into 3 figures and the williams was away the handling and braking are also a large improvement over the vts. The best qtr mile time i got in the vts was 15.405 and the williams managed 15.1?? in the rain!