ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Enigine Noise - help appreciated.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Since last night a sort of dry wirling noise has been coming from where all the belts are on drivers side. Went to renualt this morning and they said it could be water pump bearing or a belt maybe loose.

Cam belt has been replaced and so has fan belt recently.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

cheers, aaron

Clio 1.6 16V

Unlikely that the cam belt is slack. More likely to make a noise if too tight. All the salt an crap of the roads at the moment can rust up the belt pulleys making them a bit noisy. Spray some WD40 or tyre shine on the pulleys while idling. If it disappears its rusted pulleys. Or as BRUN suggests could be your alternator....maybe your altenator belt may be too tight! How long ago did you get all your belts replaced?

Aaronc i think i know the noise you mean it only does it for a moment and particularly when its cold or been stood for a longer period of time.

My water pump needed replacing and its only since having that done that it has made that noise.

I would say it kind of sounds like crickets/ grasshoppers in a field at night no what i mean???

I dont think its anything to worry about if you find otherwise please post again with the problem.

Rob.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Yeah know what you mean rwaterman, but i think its something differrent different. Anyway im going in the garage tomorrow and havent drven it since as i dont wanna do any damage, but will let u know the problem as soon as i know.

cheers

Williams 2, STi N12

The bearings in your cambelt tensioners might have gone?

Pretty common problem, but the garage will sort it.

Willy2

If the car was cold, it may be the alternator. Mine did this until the battery light came and i had to get the bugger changed.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat

Follow up:

Rajk you were right!!

The alternator bearing has gone - new alternator being fitted today.

Thanks for your help guys.