ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v front end loseness

Want to solve a bit of wondering and loseness in the front of my car.

Was thinking of doing the following:-

wishbone bushes
antiroll bushes
dampers (possibly)
strut top bushes(possibly)

front discs are warped, so was goin to do discs and pads at same time.

tracking check after above.

Will this solve my problems...?

anybody done any of the above? what effect on handling did it have?

as always, thanks for any help.

i slid it in the rain, locked the brakes up and took it head on into a kerb then a fence. it needed a new subframe, new wheels, body work doing on the bonnet, arches, wings, side skirts, bumper and door, and needs a new windscreen too. bum!

Man that sucks, bet you was thinking afterwards if only i went into that corner 10mph slower

been there, done it.
Good luck dude.

i was having a similar problem and after some time spent pushing and pulling with the front end up in the air i narrowed it down the the little bearings on the top of the front struts, they are dead cheap from GSF but are a bit of a pain to fit, so i replaced the struts at the same time as well, everything much better as a result,

if you are having the same problem you will see the nut that holds the shockers and it seats in a rubber mounting plate thing, there should only be a tiny amount of play in these.

new ones are about £8 each

Could the strut mounts be causing my slight wondering and bad clonking sound over bumps and slow right handers.

Alex M

yes thats what i was suffering from, a real clunk every now and again when going from side to side,

jack it up and give it a good pull/push

Hi guys, thanks for replies, today i have got complete strut top bush kits(lots of components) Anti roll bushes(think they have given me wrong ones thou) new nylon locking nuts and replacement swivel hub bolt and nut. sureparts are hopefuly ordering me new wishbones with new balljoints and wish bushes.

When i get this lot fitted it should be a lot better.

Might replace dampers, but we will see.

i will be gettindg new discs and pads at same time.

After this lot, it should handle the way renault intended.

managed to get renault to order the new wishbones, hub balljoints and wishbone bushes today.

Should be here tommorow.

I might be a little busy this weekend(with any luck)

Thinking about replacing the struts and front dampers at the same time(might as well replace everything, now ive got this far)

Anybody got an idea on price for above?

That will be the deciding factor.

Well the front suspension has been stripped and rebuilt. Glad thats done. Everything seems cool although now i have a slight wobble through the steering even at low speed. I assume the tracking will be a mile out now the wishbones, wish bushes, wish balljoint, strut top bushes and bearings and antiroll bushes have all been replaced. So will now get it tracked which will sort out the wobble i hope.

get the front wheels balanced while your there mate, its alot more likley to cause whel wobble, if you live near bristol i can do it for you if you want,

also in my humble opinion, dont bother changing the brakes unless they are worn out, i dont thing it will effect the tightness/loosness in the front end, unless the problem is specificly underbraking,

braking issue was because of warped dics.

there was no wobble before i started thou

tracking is only thing i can think of.

and thanks for the offer m8y. but i is a midlands lad.

hi matt.

Im in halesowen junction 3 m5. I think theres a few of you round here but i never see any of you.

If you arrange a meet anytime count me in. as long as me wobble has gone

Hinckley not that far away anywayz.

I had a similiar problem where the steering seemed loose I was told it was because of new wheels but when i explained I had it before the wheels were changed i put in a garage and it just required a new steering colume