ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Idle prob, stalling

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

First off hello all! (new to this forum)

My girlfriend got a clio 16v yesterday and there are a couple of annoying probs, one being the idle. Car is fitted with Piper cams, K&N induction and scorpion exhaust..

Basically the idle is very up and down, plus sometimes it will fall low enough to stall. It was apparant on the test drive but the owner told us it was due to the piper cams fitted (I wasnt buying this though), I was pretty sure I could sort it though so wasnt too boithered.

Now, today Ive removed the brass screw in the throttle body and polished it clean (used to rid a similar problem on my old 205 gti), I then took the (what I presume?) idle speed control valve off (valve with the pipes that go to inlet manifold and air filter and is bolted to front of inlet), I cleaned this out thoroughly with carb/intake cleaner, it was full of crap. Refitted the valve and also made the pipe fit into the air filter snugly (was loose before).

Done this and was hoping for some improvement but its still not right. You can start the car up and itll run perfect, rev it up, fine, then a bit later on itll start messing around again, idling up and down and sometimes stalling when driving and coming to a stop.

Only thing I can think of is if the idle valve thing is the wrong way round. I noted the way it came off and the arrow was pointing towards the inlet manifold, is this right?.

Any ideas?.

Most of the running problems are associated with the speedo cable as there is a hall sender on it which gives the ECU its speed data and prevents the engine from stalling.

Usually that, the coolant temp sensor, potentiometer or MAP sensor.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks for the reply.

I think I can illiminate the speedo cable one because it will mess about when stationary from start up sometimes(?)

By potentiometer do you mean the throttle position sensor?, also wheres the manifold absolute pressure sensor located then?, suppose I can find it if it looks anything like on on a turbod car.

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT

iv tried fekin everything an its still doing it!

nxt week its goin to have the cams timed and fuelling sorted so hes gonna have a look as well.

have you got a power boost valve on it??? i pretty sure thats whats causing mine!

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Nope, no power boost valve.

I was also thinking it might be becasue of the induction kit?, the breather and the pipe from the idle valve are just pushed into the rubber side of the k&N, maybe the setup on the std air box is better for these pipes?.

The MAP sensor (did u really have to write the entire word lol) is on teh offside of the bulkhead witha vacuum pipe going to it.

You mentioned that it would idle fine from start and start screwing about later on moving up and down. Id still check the speedo sender connection, if you cant hold it at 2000rpm then itll be part of, if not, your problem.

With the current temps about 20 i dont think youve encountered a real cold start since the cold start program works below 20 degC. So im not sure if it is your CTS, still could be...all the problems with idle give near the same sypmtoms.

the potentiometer is your TPS yes, and its the red bit on the TB. But if you dont know the ohms to look for then its pretty useless.

its not the IK and its not the cams (depending on how wild the cams are or how out the timing is). The inlet for the ISCV from the filter doesnt matter and wont affect idle quality.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member

Thanks for the info mate, Ill give the MAP ;) sensor a clean.

How/where do I check the speedo sender?, I take it theyre not cable driven then?. My mrs has gone out, so cant look til she gets back.

[Edited by jameswrx on 16 May 2004 at 6:09pm]

Yup, its behind the dash and its cable driven off the drive above the diff.

Its literally right behind your speedo dail.