ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

16v Vs 16v

Did a comparison on the motorway against my mates valver, std apart from de-cat, against mine which has a Magnex cat back and panel filter. Started from 3rd and both cars seemed to neck and neck, when I changed into 4th my car seemed to pull away instantly and didnt stop going until it reached the limiter at 7500 rpm! This seems high, anyone elses 16v have the same limit in 4th, when warm she normally hits it at 7200rpm. When my car does hit the limiter it isnt the usual abrupt reminder to change its more of a gentle nudge.....is this also normal?? On previous cars Ive almost beeb thrown through the window! Ta

IIRC std limited is 6900 so yours has probably been chipped. Mine has a HP chip and ive had it beyond 7500, tho some of that is probably down to an inaccurate counter.

I dont suppose theres anyway of knowing if its been chipped unless you have paperwork to prove it? Ive had the car 2 years now but have never taken up to 7500, Im not going to make a habit of it though...even though it got there without any effort at all.

If you take the top off the ECU youll be able to tell - itll either have an obviously soldered in chip or chip plugged into a socket.

The Jinx

Who was this against then Paul? Shame I wont get to try mine on Sun now Ive serviced her.

Thinking about it now mate, maybe yours is chipped? It would certainly explain a hell of a lot!

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member

When i had mine chipped it didnt make too much difference in first and second tbh. It was at the end of third, fourth and fifth. The difference being in these gears i could just pull away from my mates 19 16v unlike before.

Mine would hit the limiter 7k when standard but when chipped 7.5k.

Just had a thought on this paul, wayne had just filled up with petrol to the max i think, and both me and wayne are fat b******s so weight drag might have had summit to do with it.

Mind u Jons prone to a few pies aswell lol, just kiddin m8;)

(ex-2.0 Hybrid)CorradoVR6

Standard limiter is either at 7 or 7.2k depending on the ecu I think. My old 16v limiter was 7.2 on the standard ecu.

I believe that they are 7k when cold and 7.2k when warmed up, as my valver revs to 7.k and my Willy revs to 6.8k, both standard ECUs...

Pauls valver was too smooth on the limiter, reminded me of 2 lives in that sense, as it dooes do the usual "smash the drivers head on the steering wheel thing when it hits it..." lol.

Think Wayne needs a full zorst on his, that standard system is gonna strangle the decat. Strangely enough I also have a full system in my cellar... ;)

Quote: Originally posted by Longy on 13 December 2004

when i hit the limiter in my 182 it feels like Im gonna butt the windscreen is that normal then?
yup, tis in a Clio. Both of mine are pretty vicious at the limiter, the Williams especially... though Ive not driven it for that long I cant actually remember...

Quote: Originally posted by DeanRSi on 13 December 2004

7.2k was in the old ecus mainly lifted from the 19s. most 16vs should be at 7k. on a c57d anyway
could explain it, mines a J and Waynes is an L... still dunt explain Pauls 7.5k beasty with smooooooooooth rev limiter!?

Going back to what Matt said about weight, I wouldnt have thought there was anything in it weight wise..if anything mine would have been heavier. I had a full (big) toolbox in the boot, 2 x socket sets, bag of spanners and a couple of other bits and bobs. If it had been the same in 3rd then perhaps it would add up but we were even stevens in 3rd.....strange. Just trying to find the ECU on the car to see if there is any evidence of tampering.

Maybe they made the silver ones faster than the other colours....LOL!

Quote: Originally posted by paul1178 on 13 December 2004

Going back to what Matt said about weight, I wouldnt have thought there was anything in it weight wise..if anything mine would have been heavier. I had a full (big) toolbox in the boot, 2 x socket sets, bag of spanners and a couple of other bits and bobs. If it had been the same in 3rd then perhaps it would add up but we were even stevens in 3rd.....strange. Just trying to find the ECU on the car to see if there is any evidence of tampering.

Maybe they made the silver ones faster than the other colours....LOL!

Oh yeah forgot about that u did have a lot of tools in the back, good call there m8.

I cant see an exhaust and better air filter element making as much difference as the way you got off in 4th man, cos u just left us for dead, maybe my cheetah blood theroy is correct, lol

yeah, your 4th gear is pretty awesome Paul, it pulled back on my car which was a surprise. then the special gearbox started to do its right lets go for 140mph thing. aaah, ill miss those stupid top speeds I can boast about... lol