ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 inch wheels - Do i?

clio 172
I've been after some particular alloys for a while and some have come up for sale but they are 17's. They're up for a very good price so i'm really tempted as i do not want to pay £££ for brand new 16 inch alloys. They're on 205 40 17 rubber ( im running 195 40 16 at the moment )

I know alot of people do not like the look of 17" wheels and they will affect handling, however i'm never planning on taking my car on a track day and i'm more for show than go ( besides being alot safer )

Car is lowered 60/40mm on apex springs ( as i bought it ) Ideally id like to go onto coilovers and 16 inch wheels would fill the arches even more but with the fecking speedbumps everywhere i know id be scraping the car ( i get it now with what i already have ) so im thinking 17" would fill the arches a little more but not lower the car

Anyone running this set up on 17's and do you have any major problems?

Please do not tell me you dont like 17's etc, i'm after actual experience, not opinions thanks :)

Suzuki Jimny
Also look shite.

SDC11621.jpg

clio 172
I already have standard 172 alloys - i didnt mention that. i guess i'll save for some brand new ones and keep my eye out for some second hand alloys in the meantime

clio 172
Have a read through this mate :D

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/show...lloys-too-big-for-a-clio&highlight=bump+steer

Do what you want to do ignore the haters

Cheers pal, i read through that earlier and a lot is down to opinion regarding looks but one big fact is that tyres are more expensive for 17's than 16's! ( but the rubber on the wheels i was looking at is 2 months old aGHHHH ) My main concern is cost, dont want to have to change my set up to run with 17s, fair enough it will handle shitty but as i said, im not looking to race/trackday the car and i'm not a boy racer looking for an accident, just want to fill the arches more than what i have now but not have to worry about ripping out bits of my car on speedbumps etc

2014 Clio 200t edc
I had 17" on a 1.2 ages back and it wasn't too bad. My only opinion is that most look rubbish. Get the right ones and it'll look good.

PB Clio 172
I have 17's on my RS now and I love them. I dont care what people say about them and as for the 'handle like s**t', my car doesnt so that rubbish. What difference does one inch make on the way the Clio handles? Nothing...

I have always liked 17's the slightly bigger wheel look does it for me would show you some pics but I cant get them on here! If they are cheap yeah go for it

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I run 17's pro race on eibachs get good lightweight wheels handles better than it did on 16s the handling thing is a load of bollox IMO . If they are Big heavy chavvy wheels with incorrect offset then maybe Handling not as good.
It will rub on apex springs thou I reckon :)

ONLY 5mm diffence in overall diameter with the right tyre size compared to 16s anyway.

Do what you like mate take no notice of the sheep .

clio 172
well im now hugely tempted again - i mean i could put them on the car see how they run and if not sell them on again couldnt i? i dont think an inch makes a HUGE difference ( my gf might say otherwise lol ) i have a harsh ride anyway with the apex springs! I think on a lowered car a larger size wheel looks ok. hmmmmm what to do...

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
well im now hugely tempted again - i mean i could put them on the car see how they run and if not sell them on again couldnt i? i dont think an inch makes a HUGE difference ( my gf might say otherwise lol ) i have a harsh ride anyway with the apex springs! I think on a lowered car a larger size wheel looks ok. hmmmmm what to do...

its not an inch !! overall diameter of a 17 with 205 40 17's is 5mm more than a 16 with 205 45 16 .
Cant see thmem going on with those springs thou will need 42 offset i reckon

clio 172
i know its not actually an inch but you know what i mean haha. I have spacers, i need to double check but i think the et of the wheels is 37 - they've come of a scenic which i believe has the same measurements as the clio ( 4 x 100 ) 60.1 bore ( or whatever it is ) etc

PB Clio 172
If you run what I run and davo172 it seems it will be fine. Apex springs are horrible.

Get Eibach Sportlines and the correst offset and you will have no problems and of course some decent rubber helps.

LOL at all the 17's will handle s**t :rasp: