ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

17 Year old first car insurance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Hi, new member here and I am hoping to buy a 2004 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2 16V for my first car.
Could anyone suggest any cheap insurance websites or any tips on making it cheaper?

Thanks, Charlie:D.
clio1.jpg

172 Cup
Parent as Second Driver? One with good history obvs.

Do not go with yourself as a Second Driver.. Its Frontin'..

Blackbox or low mileage Policy

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Good shout below.

have two older females as second and third drivers if possible

play around with the car being on the street and on the drive if possible

play around with your occupation within reason

limit your mileage somewhat

dont front, and I wouldn't recommend a box policy

Parent as Second Driver? One with good history obvs.

Do not go with yourself as a Second Driver.. Its Frontin'..

Blackbox or low mileage Policy

DB.

BMW 440i
I'm 24 now but I swear 17 year olds are paying a hell of a lot more than I did only 7 years ago.

Let us know how you get on!

SQ5
I'm 24 now but I swear 17 year olds are paying a hell of a lot more than I did only 7 years ago.

Let us know how you get on!

Same. I thought it was bad paying £1200 on a 1.2 Clio Mk1. Kids nowadays are expected to find £3k for that! But within 6 months I paid the same amount on a 1.8 16v Clio. They don't get drops like that nowadays either!

Ph2 Meg 225
In December 2012 I took out the cheapest policy of 2800 with a box and at 18 now and 1 years no claims I'm paying 1200 TPFT just to give you a rough Idea

Suzuki Jimny
Would hate to be a 17 year old now. Can see why people are less and less into cars. An apprentice I work with is paying £250 a month for insurance, that's a third of his wages just on insurance!

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
Honestly fronting seems the only way I can get it at a reasonable price (£500 deposit and £115 a month) the cheapest quote I've had on my own was £3500 and that was with a box fitted.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Honestly fronting seems the only way I can get it at a reasonable price (£500 deposit and £115 a month) the cheapest quote I've had on my own was £3500 and that was with a box fitted.

Id really really advise against ** fronting *. It's just not worth it if anything happens.

ring around and see it they can do you a sensible quote

**admitting
*on a public forum.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
But what if nothing happens? I know 3 people that have done it and nothing has happened and they have never been found out, one of them even had a crash (only a minor crash) and it still wasn't questioned. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'd rather have my own policy and get a years no claims from it. I've found a website called mypolicy.com but the online quotes page isn't working so I'm going to ring them on Monday I've heard they're quite cheap.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
But what if nothing happens? I know 3 people that have done it and nothing has happened and they have never been found out, one of them even had a crash (only a minor crash) and it still wasn't questioned. I'm not saying it's a good thing, I'd rather have my own policy and get a years no claims from it. I've found a website called mypolicy.com but the online quotes page isn't working so I'm going to ring them on Monday I've heard they're quite cheap.

If nothing happens, then you're a year older so hopefully premiums will be a bit less. Chances are nothing will happen really, but if you do get caught somehow, you'll face a fine minimum and possibly points, and I think your parents can now be fined.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/2011/oct/14/fronting-car-insurance-costs-parents

Tbh, I think fronting is more of a moral problem in practise. Because how is anyone to know how much you use the car really?

Last edited:
  SQ5

Was your mum on that as a second driver? Even an aunt too to try and knock it down a bit

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
No that was on my own, my mum doesn't have a licence but a couple of people have said that they will go on insurance with me if I need to.

SQ5
You don't even need their permission, it won't effect them in anyway at all if you crash or get it stolen.just bung a couple of aunts/cousins that are over 25 and I bet it'll knock a grand off.

As said @charlierothwell ;

avoid fronting at all costs, it is classed as insurance fraud and you can expect a minimum of 6 points and ~£300 fine if they class it as no insurance instead of actual fraud

The truth is that it gets alot easier after the first few years and all you can really do is try and make it easier and cheaper on yourself rather than front

Best advice is to stick an old relative or friend etc with plenty of experiance on your policy and build your own no claims

Its what I did and it cost a fair bit I won't lie but I now have 5 years No Claims protected at 22 and my policy for a Black Gold 182 is just shy of £800 a year fully comp with all the usual extras on and I can mod it to my hearts content without it costing extra*

*until big power is involved.

Edit: also worth noting is that clio's are notoriously expensive on insurance, have a look at the insurance groups to find a lower group car, group 1&2 are the cheapest (iirc classic Mini Coopers are dirt cheap on insurance)

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
What I meant was there is no where on the quote form for a secondary driver to say that they have no claims, the woman going on it has over 10 but they don't ask secondary drivers for no claims. I might try an 8v clio instead of a 16v and see how that goes

107 Track Car & C4
I can't believe how much insurance has gone up for young drivers. I got a 2ltr Focus Ghia just before I turned 18 in 2008, didn't even have a years NCB and I paid about £1400. That was with the car kept on the road and 10-12k per year mileage at the time.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
The amount I'll pay with fronting is still more expensive than what 17 year olds would of payed a few years ago on there own policy

Clio MK3
If you put both your parents down as named drives it should bring it down alot. I drive a 2006 1.4 MK3 clio and I am 17, bought the insurance for £1900 with me as the main driver, 6000 miles limit and no black box. I am with privilege insurance took it out in Dec 2013. I was getting 2100-2300 prices without my parents.

The amount I'll pay with fronting is still more expensive than what 17 year olds would of payed a few years ago on there own policy

Irregardless, fronting is illegal

Doesnt matter whether you pay more or less than someone years ago the fact is; Fraud is Fraud.

I give up though, you are clearly intent on ignoring advice and are focussed on fronting after you have admitted to it on a very active car forum which has a few insurers as regular members....

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
When I was 17, we used to find out what was the cheapest car to insure and then buy one. Rather than buy a car then try to find cheap insurance.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
I never said I was intent on it, I was clearly saying that the price of insurance has risen a lot over the past few years

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
When I was 17, we used to find out what was the cheapest car to insure and then buy one. Rather than buy a car then try to find cheap insurance.

Yeah I've not bought the car yet mate

And I really don't want to be driving around in a daewoo matiz, which is the cheapest insurance I've found

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
That is not the way it comes across after several posts telling you not to front

Okay then, I do not want to front my insurance. I've got no intent to front my insurance. The reason I am asking the question in the first place is to see if any body knows of any companies that will insure me for a lower price so that I don't have to front it

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Sorry my bad. I just looked at your username and it says your car is a 1.2 clio. I was being presumptive. (it clearly didn't work!)

In that case, buy a 1.0 Micra/corsa. Christ, i'd even look at a 700cc daewoo or something! As soon as you've got 1 years no claims at 18, your insurance will plummet.

All my mates (back in 1997!) were rolling around in Nova SR's as their first cars paying £1500 etc. I got a 1.0 metro and insured it for less than £700.

Simple answer.

Ring every insurance company. You've been given the answer, which is add experienced people as named drivers, but iirc they won't be able to use their NCB in your policy as well as your own.

Answer is - Ring everyone.

Simple

Above advice is sound too, you may have to have something smaller for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.