ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 advice and info

172 Cup
Hi all, new to this forum, looks like a very helpful place so thought I'd join up.

I dont have a clio at the moment, infact I've got a V6 Vectra GSi, but I'm looking at getting something smaller and quicker. A clio is right up there on the list.

The vectra being a big and heavy car (but it is quick) isnt particularly nippy.
If I moved to a clio am I gonna notice a huge difference in speed and handling etc? I know I am but is it gonna put a huge smile on my face?

My vectra has around 200bhp but also weighs around 1750kg whereas a clio is just over a ton isnt it?

Also I'll probably have a budget of upto £4.5k. Would I be able to pick up a 182 with possibly both cup packs?

I really love the look of the 172 cup but I like my luxuries too so I think I'd miss air con and half leather interior etc. Is there much in it between the cup and FF version?

Sorry for waffling on, any help is greatly appreciated

Chris

R26
Seeing as I got my 182 two weeks ago and came from a simular style of car I wanted to know the same thing! All I can say is go and test drive one, go to a big main dealer and drive the first 182 they have, doesnt matter if its out of budget, just go to drive one and fob off the salesman if you cant afford it.

I Got myself a 182 with cup packs for £4800 after haggling so if you're willing to travel I cant see why you couldnt get one for around your budget, £5k would be a bit easier though.

Performance wise, I came from a Cupra R 225, loads of torque, boosts at 2500rpm(ish) and delivers consistent power from standing, I imagine thats simular to the vectra? The 182 however; you have to wait till 5000rpm before much happens. Its pretty quick when making good use of the gears but as is said on here alot, many average turbo diesels have better in gear acceleration. Traffic light drag racing....this is not

Handling is fantastic though, out classes all other cars Ive driven, except a Lotus elise 111R ;) and certainly puts a smile on your face, you'll notice a HUGE difference from the vectra.

Go and drive one!

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Get the best car you can find for your budget. Most important thing is to make sure its been serviced regularly and had the belts done as thats an expensive job.

172 Cup
thanks for the replies guys...

Rockford - very helpful post, funnily enough a cupra r is another car I've been looking at lol. Comparing it to the vectra, I'm pretty sure it'l be a fair bit quicker. Mine is a 2000 x plate, the V6 is a great engine, just a bit lazy, takes a while to get there but at backroad speeds it really picks up. I've added a few things like cat back exhaust, enlarged throttle body, larger FPR, panel filter etc which takes it to about 200bhp. Its just heavy and a bit wallowy lol, even with coilovers.
Problem is most of my driving is around town etc, so hence why I want something thats a lot more fun to drive.

So anyway I'm guessing the cupra is a much better performer and handler than the vectra, so a clio would feel like a go kart compared to my vectra.

Really appreciate the replies, good info about the cambelts etc

Cheers

R26
You'll be laughing down the street with the handling on these things compared to the Vectra, I thought the Cupra R had stiff suspension and reasonable handling.....its like a limo compared to the 182 lol. First thing my gf's 2 year old godson said was "its a bit bumpy" ha!

Both cars will be a huge step away from the vectra and put a massive smile on your face :D Just be aware that with the 182 i think you'll be wanting for that V6 torque when your not in the mood, one thing I miss from my old car. Other than that its great fun and if you're planning on tracking it (like moi!) then its the only choice!

PS cambelts are a b**ch, mine is booked in for tomorrow costing £400!

Youll definitely notice a huge improvement with handling, and when your putting your foot down completely the clio will be a fair bit faster but if you're not using the gearbox youll find its quite a bit harder to make progress.

Definitely makes more sense round town though.

172 Cup
Cheers guys.

hopefully might have sold my car so I may be on the look out for a nice 172/182

Cant decide yet wether to look at a 172 and save a bit of cash for a few mods etc. Or get a 182 with both cup packs? Is there much between them?
Really like the look of the 172 cups too but I'd miss nice seats n stuff lol

172 Cup
Hmm really liking the 172 cup, and it seems to be a bit cheaper. Like the interior in the 172 FF tho, is it possible to get hold of a half leather interior and fit it into a cup?
I know it kinda defeats the object of the Cup but the Cups look so good

Any thoughts?

clio trophy No56
You can normally pick the full interior up for a 172/182 including the door cards from ebay for about £300, and they will fit straight into a cup.
Have you looked at 182's cup packed? Better interior than the 172 cup and more toys like ABS....
If you can stretch you budget then get a Trophy, i used to own a 182 and loved it but the Trophy is just so much better, looks better, V6 spoiler, Recaros, Turinis, Sachs damper, which BTW dont cost 1 million pound to replace, you can get them referbed for approx £400.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I would pick up a mint cup for that money!

Less creature comforts BUT less to go wrong + has everything you need. I mean how many times a year do you need aircon ffs! And thats coming from a 182 FF owner!

You will smile everytime you drive it aswell :D

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I have owned a 172 cup now 182 cup and driven every Clio sport there is so I know all there traits. Fun wise keep away from the ff 172 the cup is way better in setup but the cup does require higher driving skill so if ya don't like the back end moving around stay clear. 182 ff with cup packs combines the fun with luxuries and probs your best bet, the cup is a f**king hoot, I just got my very low mileage example and I love it. The trophy is good pub ammo but I feel doesn't have the adjustability of the others in the corners.
I'd highly recommend a Clio sport as I think there the most fun on 4 wheels.

Clown Car
My Brother went from a V6 Vectra to a 172 and then a new 182, 7 months later he got another new 182, says it all really.

Vectra was heavy, expensive to run and understeered badly, the complete opposite of the Clio.

Herr Flick

aka Herman Ze German
get a ph1 172 and spend money on modding it like me!
p.s any clio 172/182 will be better than the vectra and if you ever want something to do if your bored then find some nice roads and you will have ahuge grin on your face!! and ive had a cupra, scooby, rwd bmw and rs turbo....

172 Cup
Wow thanks for the responses guys!

Seen a couple of 172 cups with FF interiors, looks good, and as for aircon I could live without it.

Really need to drive one.

Another thing, whats the tax like on them? And how many of them are around?
Are they 52-53 plate only?

Scott S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Flamer & ER-6F
I have recently bought a 172, my family wanted some comfort after my last (but still own) car so I didn't go for the Cup. Wasn't too bothered 172, or 182 when I bought (even looked at a 197), I just wanted a relatively low milege car that had been well looked after that looked nice.

Love the Clio, it looks nice, drives well and as I have had the family in it most of the time, I have returned 37-39mpg since owning it (the digital display reads slightly more but I went off what petrol I had used against miles travelled for my last 2 fill ups).

Not had the chance to open it up properly yet, but seems more than capable of entertaining me. It is a very agile little car.

In the past, people have told me the build quality isn't too good, but to be fair, there's nothing wrong with it (apart from my steering wheel), certainly not a lot to complain about.

172 Cup
Cheers Scott.

Think I'm pretty set on a cup now. I've heard so many good things about them. They look so much better and sounds like they drive it too.

Just need to get rid of my Vectra now and find a decent 172 cup. Anyone got a nice one for sale lol?