ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182/cup vs Vauxhall Astra VXR

Engles Mummy

I will hopefully be upgrading to a sport in the next 5 months, my friend also will be getting a brand new VXR. Basically the way our friendship works is;

What ever I get, he gets "daddy" to buy him something better. I decided to start saving up and working a lot more, to get my dream. Naturally my friend just refuses to have something "less", "slower" then his car, so now his dad will be buying him a brand new VXR.

I want to know would this very leave a 172/182/cup behind? All will I need some serious mods to leave him behind?

Cheers, Adam

[Edited by Subway on 09 July 2005 at 11:13pm]

vxr will beat a 182, you wont be able to do enough mods to the 182 to beat it either, well nothing that him spending a few quid on a chip etc wont negate

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed

See if J3ned will sell you his Clio TT...that w(sh)ould leave the VXR for dust!!!

BMW M3

Round a twisty track or serious country roads i might actually put my money on a 182, but in a straight line it would have to be the VXR...... but who goes everywhere in a straight line though eh? lol

Id put money on my Cup beating a standard VXR till silly silly speeds, and its only got a few simple mods.

CTR

Id fancy the VXR. On paper its quicker than a CTR, and while that doesnt always equate to being faster in practical situations (ie. the pre-05 CTRs vs 182 Cup), its got so much power that Vauxhall would have to do something horrible to the chassis or suspension to not use it to its potential.

Is your mate ok the rest of the time?! No offence, but he sounds incredibly immature and spoilt.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Would a cup (standard 172/182) beat a Astra VXR with Lotus suspension....the answer would be no.....would a cup (tuned) beat an Astra VXR no it may keep up but not overtake...the Astra would have lower down torque and just too much more brake horsepower...but then there is a road legal Calibra with 1400 BHP which would beat a jet off the line or an F1 car in a straight line

Would a cup (tuned) beat a Astra VXR (chipped) no....this is emotive as where do you place the benchmark...how come most Cup drivers are never satisfied and have a paranoid streek which makes them tune the car further..is it the just in case factor...or the fear of loosing?

How about judging the driving ability of drivers over chips and tweaks as vital can be lost with the driver?

[Edited by tumbleweed on 10 July 2005 at 12:18am]

[Edited by tumbleweed on 10 July 2005 at 12:21am]

No shame in the 182 being slower than the VXR, two completely different class and size of cars we are talking about. Stand up and be proud that he needs a £19k 6-speed turbo to beat the trusty 182 with its n/a engine and the not exactly small sum of £5k between them. Anyone can go faster if they are happy to spend more money, thats just logic, but let me ask you this...who do you think is happier and prouder of their car, the guy who worked his ass off to buy his dream car, or the guy with the cash point at his fingertips who gets a car just so he can faster than his mate?

Once silly speeds are attained it will happily say goodbye to a 182 Id imagine, but how often are a 182 and VXR ever going to be up against each other beyond 80mph or so? Around 0-60 territory there isnt a great deal in it in real terms, especially I imagine if you add some corners into the mixer.

Quote: Originally posted by tumbleweed on 10 July 2005

Would a cup (standard 172/182) beat a Astra VXR with Lotus suspension....the answer would be no.....would a cup (tuned) beat an Astra VXR no it may keep up but not overtake...the Astra would have lower down torque and just too much more brake horsepower...but then there is a road legal Calibra with 1400 BHP which would beat a jet off the line or an F1 car in a straight line

What are you on about.

Alfa Mito 155TB

i should say really, the bit about the calibra...any car can be tuned to be faster.....cars should be bought to be enjoyed...i am very happy with my 172...and no it isnt tuned and that doesnt bother me either.

Alfa Mito 155TB

Does nobody have the worry about the 172 (Mk1/2), 172cup, 182, 182cup, Trophy all falling in the hands of chavs and destroying the brand similar to what happened to the Saxo....I mean this in terms of when the cars are 2 - 3 years old and cheap as chips only to be bastardised with tints, big exhausts and neon.?

The Astra VXR is more expensive, because of this and insurance group being high, does this not mean it will be exclusive longer, removing chavs from the ownership loop?

[Edited by tumbleweed on 10 July 2005 at 1:00am]

[Edited by tumbleweed on 10 July 2005 at 1:03am]

Does nobody have the worry about the 172 (Mk1/2), 172cup, 182, 182cup, Trophy all falling in the hands of chavs and destroying the brand similar to what happened to the Saxo....I mean this in terms of when the cars are 2 - 3 years old and cheap as chips only to be bastardised with tints, big exhausts and neon.?

The Astra VXR is more expensive, because of this and insurance group being high, does this not mean it will be exclusive longer, removing chavs from the ownership loop?
The 172/182 is group 16, the Trophy is group 17 (out of interest I believe the Astra VXR is also going to group 17). Regardless of how cheap the cars themselves get those Insurance groups will put them firmly out of reach of many so called "chavs".

To put it into perspective the Saxo VTR was group 7 so I think they will have far more appeal to that particular sort of person than the Clio. The 206 GTi is Grp 11. Most of the other superminis have pretty low insurance groups as well. From my experience there has been a huge shift towards Japanese cars anyway, the Nova et all has been replaced by ageing (cheap) Hondas etc by the sorts you find in McDonalds car park at 11pm 7 nights a week.

Alfa Mito 155TB

UKASKEW

I am not knocking 172/182s but the day of the Chav will be the downfall of this fine motor...they can always insure with £500 excesses and third party, fire and theft only..etc

MINI JCW

I guess it maybe close to 60 as the Astra VXR may struglgle to get its power down after that i assume it will pull away and will be quicker throught the gears and it should be its 7k more expensive than the 182, must admit they are good looking cars though

Just tell him to get is own car and not one is dad has bought him

Engles Mummy

Cheers for all your feedback.

My friend is immature and spoilt, I feel sorry for him a bit because he doesnt see it and his spoilt mind makes him look like an idiot. Still, he isnt as bad as his dad though! lol.

When I upgrade to a sport, I will be making a fair bit of changes to it; to improve handling & performance. I like to win as much as the next person, but I don’t care as much if I lose against him because at the end of the day, who really lost?

I will keep you posted on when he both upgrade,

Cheers all, Adam

2005 Impreza WRX STI

UKASKEW

I am not knocking 172/182s but the day of the Chav will be the downfall of this fine motor...they can always insure with £500 excesses and third party, fire and theft only..etc
mine is like that and still 1k! 2 yrs NCB

Dont worry about 172s falling into the hands of Chavs. You dont see old Clio 16 vavlers being driven by Chavs and they can be had for next to nothing these days. The Vauxhall brand says CHAV to me, when you see all the sh*tbox Corsas, Novas and Calibras driven by the underclasses. The VXR looks a canny motor to me and I would be half tempted but the Vauxhall badge is very off putting. Vauxhall just dont have the hot-hatch heritage of the likes of VW, Peugeot, Citroen , Renault and Ford.

Take advantage of your mate having a VXR, after all, i dont know any one whos getting one there fore i wont have the chance to go out in one or sample its power, take care of your car when you get it and let him rag the fuk out of his astra, you may enjoy enjoy the chance when you get it, and if you want to race around with him and hopefully beat him why not get a Nitrous kit, then im sure you could p!ss him off if you wanted to.

MKIII 138

surley on corners a vxr with its silly 19" wheels wont corner as sharp by far. the types of roads we have up north are really tight and thin and change direction sometimes like a squiggly line i dont see and "rep mobile" competing in those terms, these situations are much more obvious and if you are both going to "race" on open roads then watch out for your licence and your life both are fast cars and you being in the slower one will have to push the 182 to its limits accelaration wise and braking in an attempt to not have too much egg on your face which will lead you risk your life or at least sh*t you up a bit and make you look a prick.

the best thing to do is get on some well known B roads at night when there empty. setup some safety rules so your both not ging to kill anyone or yourselves and see for real if you can out corner safley the Astra VXR try to keep up at a safe distace not overtake.

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by MarkCup on 10 July 2005
Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 10 July 2005Buy an Evo 2 for £5k or an M3 for 8k and wipe the floor with his rep mobile.;) [/QUOTE]OT I know, but an £8k M3 wouldnt wipe the floor with it.

Would do ok for the 11k less though

Elise/VX220/R26

just before this thread gets out of hand the VXR will be better in every way apart from purchase price. 240 bhp and 0-60 in 6.2 its a beast

Badge snobbery is just that.

The new VXR range is brilliant, from the Corsa through the Astra and Vectra, to the car I also happen to own, the Monaro 6.0 V8.

180/240/280/400 bhp respectively and a LOT of development time in all of them.

My 6.0 VXR (Vauxhall-badged or not) is fantastic and with its new aftermarket exhaust system, sounds awesome.

Remapped derv Golf

True but surely the beast is only sold though vauxhall/opel here to save Holden setting up a full operation in europe.

Not really got much to do with the Corsa, Astra or VX

Lovely motor btw

Clio 200 Cup

Lovely Monaro! Bang for buck thats gotta be just about the best out there at the moment. As for the thread topic, I know the kind of people you are talking about. The 182 may get left on the straights, but apparently the SRi chassis cant even handle the power, so god knows what the VXR will fare like! Yes it is annoying when people have to be better but when hes quoting all his figures and crap down the pub, just say "yeah, but at least I bought mine"

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Sorry if im being stupid here, but the 182 has a 0-60 time of 6.6 secs, and the vxr has a 0-60 time of 6.2. So thats 0.4 of a second. Id hardly call that a large difference, and for 7k. 0.4secs for 7k..... Surely you could use some of that saved 7k to get some performance driving lessons, and learn how to pull away properly, and that 0.4 of a second will disappear. In real life if your racing down B roads with plenty of corners when are you going to get much past 80mph? Yes sure it will beat it past a hundred, but in a real world situations going past those sort of speeds is very rare, and with the amount of cameras about now very foolish.

CTR

IIRC, the 182 0-60 official time is 7.1 secs, and 6.9 for the Cup. Various independent testers have had run in models that go far faster than that, but Id guess that the same will be true of the VXR when its been around for a few months.

Would still take my 182 rather than spend an extra 6 or 7 grand on the VXR, but Id be reasonably sure that Id be buried by one in a race so wont be looking out for them on the road!

Veilsided MR2 Rev3 Turbo

Ok. But still in real world times 0.9 of a second isnt really that much. But then as already said the astra isnt really in the 182s class, surely that would be the megane 225. The corsa vxr is the 182s true competition. And i know which one id rather have.

CTR

mcoppen - agree with that 100%. So much competition in the past between the 182 and CTR, but theyre such totally different cars. Same with Leon Cupra R, VXR, Megane 225 etc.

182s rivals are like you say - Corsa VXR, Fiesta ST, Saxo VRS, Ibiza Cupra etc. Have to admit I know nothing about a Corsa VXR, but the 182 leaves the others standing, and IMO looks far better while doing it.

If someone has a rich daddy whos always going to spend an extra 7k on car, theyll almost always be able to get something bigger and faster, but Id rather have the satisfaction of knowing it was all down to my own hard work!

Quote: Originally posted by Subway on 09 July 2005

I will hopefully be upgrading to a sport in the next 5 months, my friend also will be getting a brand new VXR. Basically the way our friendship works is;

What ever I get, he gets "daddy" to buy him something better. I decided to start saving up and working a lot more, to get my dream. Naturally my friend just refuses to have something "less", "slower" then his car, so now his dad will be buying him a brand new VXR.

I want to know would this very leave a 172/182/cup behind? All will I need some serious mods to leave him behind?

Cheers, Adam

[Edited by Subway on 09 July 2005 at 11:13pm]
Who cares?, tell him to grow up. He sounds like a right tool, why are you friends with him?

[Edited by Spoonie on 11 July 2005 at 12:52am]

Quote: Originally posted by mcoppen on 10 July 2005

Sorry if im being stupid here, but the 182 has a 0-60 time of 6.6 secs, and the vxr has a 0-60 time of 6.2. So thats 0.4 of a second. Id hardly call that a large difference, and for 7k. 0.4secs for 7k..... Surely you could use some of that saved 7k to get some performance driving lessons, and learn how to pull away properly, and that 0.4 of a second will disappear. In real life if your racing down B roads with plenty of corners when are you going to get much past 80mph? Yes sure it will beat it past a hundred, but in a real world situations going past those sort of speeds is very rare, and with the amount of cameras about now very foolish.

*Yes but almost twice the torque and 58 bhp more mean that in the real world the VXR would be faster in so many situations, especially when the Clio was anywhere away from redline.

The low and mid range of the VXR would murder the revvy Clio.

In-gear performance and top-gear open road work would be way, way ahead on the Vauxhall.*

The Clio 182 is a match for the CORSA VXR, the Astra is in a different price bracket, performance bracket and size bracket.

The Clio 182 is brilliant. I owned one.

But lets not pretend it can do things it cant.

Elise/VX220/R26

I think Vauxhall after flaggin for a while on the performance model front are really kicking everyones are at the moment. They have a really comprehensive range from the boy racers Corsa up to supercar chasers like the VX and Monaro. Vauxhall brand snobbery is well and truly a thing of the past IMO