ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - 40K Service Pitfalls

Am dropping my Mk1 172 in for a 40k (41k actually) service tomorrow morning. Im pretty sure that only the standard service tasks are required but the dealer informs me that the acessory and timing belts are due around 45-50K. I had read somewhere previously that the accessory belt is recommended around this interval but that the timing belt was actually fine until about 60/70K - can anyone point me in the right direction?

If the belts are due in the next 10K I would rather replace them now but if they are fine for another 20-30K I would rather save the cash - either way I dont want to risk my car.

Also anything else I should be looking at apatr from the standard, oil, plugs and filters and a quick once over?

172 no more :(

Accessory belt is due at 36k on a mk2 as i had mine done yesterday. Initially the dealer said no belts were due at 36k but i contacted Renault who said 36k or 5yrs. All the details are in the service book.

I just rang a second dealer who said that both belts were longlife belts and not due until 70K/5 years - wondering if this is confusion between the standard clio and the 172.

Gonna try and ring renault now ....

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by chris_leic172 on 27 July 2004

The 172 timing belt (cambelt) is due at 72K. The accessory belt is due at 36K.

Both these figures are stated in the service booklet.
correct. also there is a 5 year replacement time gap.

I was quoted £800 for the 72K service, only on 40K at the moment, but just wanted to find out.

72K service is a real big one, Cambelt, Accessory belt, Spark plugs etc etc.