ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 air con removal pics

Astra gsi turbo
To start I have used the search. I'm looking for pics on DIY air con removal. So far iv found a guy that replaced the bottom pulley with 1 from a Toyota and used the original belt. Has anyone else done a DIY setup ?

iceberg 172
get the mounts off a 1.8 8v megane i payed £10 from the scrappers then £10 for a belt and 100 for an alternator from renault you need the cup one this is recon at this price but by valeo

Astra gsi turbo
The guy I saw doing it changed the bottom pulley to a slightly larger 1. Routed the belt different and it worked, cost him nothing

Ph1
More to it than that surely. How did he get the tension on the belt? You need some kind of bracket.

Factory way as Matty said. Just over 100 quid and its done right

Astra gsi turbo
he used the original tensioner and a bigger bottom pully. i think its of a toyota avensis, ill double check

IMG_2216.jpgaircon delete.jpg

Audi A5
So with this Toyota pulley how do you bolt it in place?

Have you got a link to original tread regarding this Toyota pulley?

Astra gsi turbo
ye thats the thread. as far as i see it bolts in place of the original, even if the new pully was bigger or smaller you can easily get a belt to suit

Ph1
But it still runs round the same half a dozen pulleys plus uses the tensioner. :S

The only advantage is going to be weight saving.

For the sake of 100 quid do it right

TrackCar & F30 330d
Not the best set up for you as I removed my pas too. Brackets cost £10 and I just bought a new alternator!

Only runs the crank, water pump and alternator.

IMG_4994.jpg

Ph1
Sure less belt drag would be more of a advantage than the 15 odd kgs you'd save in weight.

Wait till your alternator packs up then the ''proper'' conversion will only cost roughly 20 quid ;)

Astra gsi turbo
there will be less belt drag when the ac pump is removed and less weight. i cant see there being any noticable gains doing it the proper way over this method

Ph1
Depends exactly how must belt drive zaps performance in the real world. With your set up, bar a idler its pretty much the same b/track as the normal AC set up.

Other downside is the tensioner is still utilised so no ease of belt changes like you get with the Cup set up plus you would still have the expense of a tensioner which again you wouldn't get with the Cup.