ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 aluminium bonnet

Does anyone know at what point phase 1 172s stopped having the aluminium bonnet?

And dare I ask what the definitive answer to the shift light question is?

Lionel Richie
only the mk1 172's had the ali bonnet

not all of them had it though, some had ali bonnet + shift light, some had shift light only, some had ali bonnet only, bit of a lottery!!!

you can tell if you have, its feather light!!

March 2001 and mine's got the alloy bonnet but no shift light.

the bonnets are stupid light... lighter than the carbon ones iirc.

Clio Sport 172
place a magnet on the bonnet, if its alloy it wont stick !!!!!!! Mine has both the alu bonnet and the shift light on my phase 1 172 (06/00)

Red Clio 197 F1
Feel 50% left out as mine has an alloy bonnet but no shift light! Very much doubt I've never seen it if I had one.

Where abouts is the shift light on the dash display? Might give the car a good rev tonight just to make sure!-)

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255
In a choice between an alloy bonnet and a shift light ... the alloy bonnet is by far the better thing to have. As others have said it's spookily light, yet suprisingly robust :). And if you can't tell be ear when it's time to change then you're not trying hard enough ;).

Red Clio 197 F1
Really didn't think I had a shift light, but last night I wanted to make sure!

I raced off up a hill and suddenly a light came on - thought " oooo I have a shift light" but infact it was FUEL light!

Don't think I need a shift light anyway, less gimicks the better.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
JayJo said:
Really didn't think I had a shift light, but last night I wanted to make sure!

I raced off up a hill and suddenly a light came on - thought " oooo I have a shift light" but infact it was FUEL light!

Don't think I need a shift light anyway, less gimicks the better.

LOL!!! I tried as well, and my engine management light came on...Doh!!

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Does anyone know if you can buy them from renault? I know i shouldn't be lazy and i should walk up to my parts department, but they're horse s**t, and i'll get a better response from on here!!

Ph1 172 / Ph1 Valver
2000 X 172, no alloy bonnet :( There's a shift light on the left of the display but I haven't seen if it comes on or not and unfortunately I can't go out to test for a few weeks. It sounds pretty useless anyway if it just tells you when you're about to hit the limiter. If I'm driving it to the red in each gear I think I'd probably use my ears instead of a little light. This also gives you the advantage of being able to look at the road ;) If they wanted to make it useful they should've made it beep instead of turn a light on imo

Abarth 595 Trufeo
My Mk1 172 2000 X reg in Odyessey blue had both, it was one of the first coloured 172's in the country. There was a thread a little while ago asking if the alloy bonnet was still available? can't find it at the mo.

H

White Van Man
Got a 2000 Mk! got the light and the ally bonnet, her indoors has got an Alize, the same year, and the difference in the bonnet weights has to be felt to be believed. It takes two hands to lift hers with all that soundproofing on it !