ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 as a Weekend Car

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Im looking at getting a new job, which comes with an Astra as the company car (no option on car or money, its astra only)

Ive only just purchased my 172 in Jan (it was regd March 03) so its only a year old.

Should I keep it or sell it? I paid £10,750 2months ago, so really dont want to sell it, but is it worth keeping as a weekend car? Would I lose heaps of money if I were to sell it?

I personally would prefer to keep the 172 as would want something fun to drive at the weekend.

The wife doesnt drive, so itd be a 2 car family, but only 1 driver etc.

What to do for the best eh?

Civic Type R-GT (2007)

Just dont bother getting the astra, use the 172, would be much more fun.

Save space in the garage/on the drive then aswell lol!

keep both keep both!! well thats what i think anyway hehe!!

you would regret it if you got rid of the clio cos astras arent a fun car to drive so keep it

vix :)

I think that you should sell the 172 and turn down the company car and use our fantastic public transport system.

NOT!!!! Keep the 172 and remember to put a "Dont hate me, my other car is a 172 and way better than this!" sticker in the window of the Astra!! ;)

Keep it as a weekend car for sure. Driving the astra all week long is gonna be so nasty and crusty seeing as astras are S H I T E anyway, then every weekend you can take the little variable values for a spin eh? Itll also reduce running costs/insurance/petrol etc....

Thats what I think anyway, hope Ive helped

N8

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Love your reason why Rob :D

Looks like you all agree with the keeping of the 172, which is good because that my line of thought at the moment.

Renault Laguna Coupe

Tell them to keep the Astra - itll cost you ££££££ in tax and company cars are not worth it anymore.

7.6cc :D

Depends on your financial position i think.

If its not costing you too much to run a car you only use at weekends then thats fine. But if paying for your 172 stretches you then it might be worth selling and sticking with the astra.

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

I have no choice over the astra, if I take the job I get the car, end of story.

Im paying £260/month for the 172.

Lee

BMW M2C

Sell it, I sold my GTi-6 when I got a company car. Youll get hit for quite a lot of tax on the company car so its not really a massive saving. You will end up more out of pocket for having both cars.

Its not really worth it IMO, you can always buy another 172 or the like when the situation changes. It really pained me to sell the GTi-6 but it was pointless paying insurance, tax etc on a car I wasnt going to use.

CocoPops - Keep the 172 rip all the interior out except for drivers seat throw some more mods at it like sequential box and have it as an all-out raw track car. Or u could just keep it standard.

Hows the exhaust?

Nissan R35 GT-R

The 172 isnt a weekend car though - its a car to be driven all the time that can deliver the performance on demand. Weekend cars are either completely unpractical or serious on performance (or both if youre lucky)!

Sell the 172 and buy an eary Mitsubishi Lancer Evo or a TVR or something.