ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Back box fallen off

Ok guys just as the title states, my back box has fallen off today. It now sounds like a rally car which was cool for about 10 minutes until i got a headache.

Now my question is what should i do:
1) replace with standard backbox? How much?
2)Go for an aftermarket one? again, how much?

All help appreciated as i am just trying to get an idea of prices before i call around tomorrow. Thanks

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny5salive on 07 August 2005

Ok guys just as the title states, my back box has fallen off today. It now sounds like a rally car which was cool for about 10 minutes until i got a headache.

Now my question is what should i do:
1) replace with standard backbox? How much?
2)Go for an aftermarket one? again, how much?

All help appreciated as i am just trying to get an idea of prices before i call around tomorrow. Thanks

Try putting up with it for 7hrs on the motorway, it nearly drove me mad on the way home from Cornwall!

I had exactly the same problem, and the same dilemma.. my local renault dealer didnt keep the 172 back box in stock.. A new one from them with fitting £170, and it wouldve taken them 2weeks!!

Need the car every day so went for Powerflow stainless steel back box - £180.. fitted in 2hours, sounds amazing and comes with lifetime warranty!! Im a happy boy... Aftermarket all the way!

Thanks for the replies. Does the powerflow exhaust extend out from under the bumper or is it hidden? I think i would prefer a hidden system hence reason i was considering the standard backbox again. Although i would love a better sounding exhaust note as the standard note is boring compared to this now!!

Prospeed do a hidden one. I have one on my 172. Sounds great. Bit louder than normal with a nice note but no BOOM. About £290 custom fitted.

Highly recommended.

Get an after market.

I wanted a hidden tail pipe too, and didnt want a k-tec as I heard some maons about the quality, and theyre also meant to be fairly noisy. So I went to pro-speed and am very happy with it!!

Ok, so it may be a lil far from where you are, its in cardiff, but I drove 3 hours to get there and it was well worth it!!

DONT GET A RENAULT ONE, ITLL JUST FALL OFF AGAIN!

Ok Pro-speed is too far as i am in Glasgow. Will check out the aftermarket ones and also get price for renault one as i dont really see myself keeping the car more than another year as i want a v6!!

Thanks again

Jonny, Im in Edinburgh, Ill be heading to C+Cs in Hillingdon to get my new backbox if you fancy getting me along? They have a VERY good reputation.

Ex Ph-Quick

K-tec stealth mate, I have one and it sounds lovely. Never go renault why would you want another exhaust thats made of tin foil?

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny5salive on 07 August 2005

Ok Pro-speed is too far as i am in Glasgow. Will check out the aftermarket ones and also get price for renault one as i dont really see myself keeping the car more than another year as i want a v6!!

Thanks again
If not C+C get a zaust by motorsport world in strathaven http://www.motorsportworld.co.ukwww.motorsportworld.co.uk

http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/images/zaust/large/clio.jpg

This was mine when i had it done there last year, crackin exhaust, not too loud but loud enough for a 1.2 16v, they know their stuff there and they use the highest grade of stainless (304) so that your exhaust wont end up with loads of surface rust and it means the tailpipe(s) can be polished up like new when they start to look a little dirty.

Hey Badinvincible when you going? What kind of price are we talking? Have you any contact details for them? Just phoned local renault dealer and guy said it would be roughly £100 + vat for parts and half hour to fit. Not as bad as i thought.

16vclio i just called motorsportsworld as i am in East Kilbride so its only 15 minutes along the road. Never even knew they existed, nevermind do custom systems. Going to pop along there this afternoon for a lookg and a chat about a system for me. Thanks for all the help.

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny5salive on 08 August 2005

Hey Badinvincible when you going? What kind of price are we talking? Have you any contact details for them? Just phoned local renault dealer and guy said it would be roughly £100 + vat for parts and half hour to fit. Not as bad as i thought.
End of the month? A bit late for you TBH as youll be deaf by then.

Yeh mate and so will the rest of Glasgow! I have taken some video of the sound just to remember it by! lol. Are you just upgrading your exhaust or has your backbox gone aswell?

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90

Quote: Originally posted by Brum Man on 07 August 2005

Get an after market.

I wanted a hidden tail pipe too, and didnt want a k-tec as I heard some maons about the quality, and theyre also meant to be fairly noisy. So I went to pro-speed and am very happy with it!!

Ok, so it may be a lil far from where you are, its in cardiff, but I drove 3 hours to get there and it was well worth it!!

DONT GET A RENAULT ONE, ITLL JUST FALL OFF AGAIN!
Thats exactly what i want, a decent hidden exhaust. How much did you pay for yur pro speed exhaust system ?

clio 172 cup

has anyone got a sound clip of the k-teck stealth one im looking for a stealth one or does anyone in east yorks do custom jobbys

Ok my car is going in tomorrow to get a stealth box fitted at Motorsportsworld as recommended by Clio16v so will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for the help

ST

Quote: Originally posted by Jonny5salive on 10 August 2005

Ok my car is going in tomorrow to get a stealth box fitted at Motorsportsworld as recommended by Clio16v so will let you all know how it goes. Thanks again for the help
Tell them Alan with the black clio sent you ;)

172 Exclusive

So what do people reccomend for a stainless exhaust then?

Some people hate the k-tec one and some slate powerflow.

Oh and the exact same thing happened to me last year, cheap ass piece of renault sh*te.

172 Exclusive

Im bassed in the North West.

Didnt help that when mine went it was the back box and centre unit, so ended up costly for something i wasnt expecting to just break.

I wouldnt mind a stanless one, but am undecided about getting a non-stealth on as i like the hidden look.

GR7

Shiny red R32

Join the club!! Mine fell off a few months ago and also sounded like a rally car!!

Ok people, got a stealth SS backbox fitted today from MSW in Strathaven. Sounds great, not too loud but alot throatier than the standard sound which took a little getting used to, but now love it. Best bit is its completely hidden so doesnt change the look of the car which i prefer.
Had a look at the centre section while the car was up on the ramp and have to say even although my car has only done 34k, it looks as if its been on there for 100k!!

VaVa

Having inspected my mid section since getting the 4k rattle, it appears to be made of the tin foil from a kit kat wrapper. And I think they made the engine mounts with the kit kat. lol.