ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 brakes

i have no faith in them at all they dont seem to slow me down a single jot (ok they do but ya know what i mean) in my old car i could actually feel the pads bite the discs but in this all i can feel is um well nowt :( and it gets quite worrying as i ended up going over a rounda bout the other day at like 70+ as the car just wouldnt stop !!! luckily i came through that fine but its left me wondering what can i do and no im not going for bremo calipers lol

sensible suggestions please

mike

Mine seem fine on a 2001 172. They go up to a point just slowing you down normally then go a little bit further and they nearly throw you through the windscreen when they bite!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Just swap the front pads mate...

Go for either Mintex M1144s, Ferrodo DS200s or Pagids and even with standard discs (unless theyre worn out) youre braking will be great!

cool will give it ago as i tend to scare my self when trying to break either the primera brakes were sh*t hot (i doubt) or the clio ones suck floppy donkey c**k lol or it could just be me lol

i think the brakes vary from car to car to be honest - mine are great, although having said that, when they wear they do deteriorate, but i know others have thought theirs are not too hot - sure you arent getting brake fade after thrashing it too much ????!!! ;)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Jeez, my brakes are one thing I wouldnt complain about, everyone that goes in my car headbutts the windscreen at every junction.

Did a test in the wet, jammed the brakes on full force at 100mph.. the stopping distance was unbeleivable.. fcuking awesome stopping the 172 has.

well mine from 100+ seems to take a month or so lol

break fade if its that i will eat my hat lol (will have to buy one first) nah it dont seem to be fade as they never seem to work lol

not sure if they have been changed yet as i got it when it had done 12700 in march now its at 18800 or some thing so i dunno

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

If it really bothers you get the 4 pot callipers.. then we will hear you moan that you cant press the brake pedal at all for fear of flying through the front window.

well if we all club together i wouldnt mind them for xmas :D

well yeah it does bother me as it dont seem to slow down hehe and i dont want to t-bone someone

howmany mill left should i change the pads at ??

Quote: Originally posted by kis172 on 07 July 2003

i think the brakes vary from car to car to be honest - mine are great, although having said that, when they wear they do deteriorate, but i know others have thought theirs are not too hot - sure you arent getting brake fade after thrashing it too much ????!!! ;)
duh!

4 pots do tend to suffer from brake sqeal at low speeds though which can be quite anoying, Had this when I had my Fiat Coupe 20vTurbo (4 pot brembos)

mk2 172

must say the 172 brakes are sh*t hot, i raced another mk1 yesterday or the day before, down a sweeping hill coming towards a roundabout, gap stayed pretty much the same as i was in front of him, and i had to brake first and he came flying up behind me then braked at last minute, miles better than mine

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 07 July 2003

duh!
duh rob

When the pads wear the stopping power deteriates. Just cos the pads are say half worn it doesnt necessarily mean the stopping power isnt as good. So its not a duh thing to say at all.

Quote: Originally posted by Slugger on 07 July 2003

duh!
duh rob

When the pads wear the stopping power deteriates. Just cos the pads are say half worn it doesnt necessarily mean the stopping power isnt as good. So its not a duh thing to say at all.

Well in that case if the pads were worn then they wouldnt deteriate according to you. So once again

Duh!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

LOL

anyway i remeber having a chat with one of the guys from a well known car mag. He said that the mk1 172 had better brakes than a 360 modena when they did the 0-100-0 testings.

Nice

Race cars squeal, therefore it is cool.

Generally some manfacturers get brake squeal but in return they are better and/or last longer. Other manufacturers eliminate squeal at the expense of worse braking. Almost every performance car going has bit of squeal.

-Rob

Quote: Originally posted by tomclio1.2 on 07 July 2003

LOL

anyway i remeber having a chat with one of the guys from a well known car mag. He said that the mk1 172 had better brakes than a 360 modena when they did the 0-100-0 testings.

Nice
Didnt it beat youre beloved porsche?

S2000

Quote: Originally posted by Slugger on 07 July 2003

duh!
duh rob

Well in that case if the pads were worn then they wouldnt deteriate according to you. So once again

Duh!
What? What u on about now. I said when the pads wear it doesnt necessarily mean the stopping power isnt as good. But the point is (from experience) on the 172 that is the case.