ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 conversion questions

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
ok, if i bought an engine, gearbox, ecu (includes keys), wiring loom, manifold, and driveshafts from a rear ended 172 for a conversion, what else would i need?

The car is currently just a 1.2 8v

Obviously hub carriers, suspension, brakes etc are needed, but what about on the cooling side of things? and anything else i may have missed.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
you would also need the UCH control unit which is situated under the N/S part of the dash up by the bonnet release - this contains part of the immobiliser and relays for your indicators / lights etc. As fred said get a radiator and fans + reservoir as well. You will also need the decoder ring from the ignition barrel as this recognises the immobiliser chip in your plip key

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
standard decoder ring not work ok?

didnt think i'd need the UCH either - thought it was totally independant of the ECU - shame.

and idea's of cost for everything excluding shocks/springs and brakes?

just trying to work out how cost effective it'd be, rather than spending money fixing my 1.2 and wanting a 172 later (as i was planning it at some point anyway).

172 cup'd extreme
for it to start as j3ned said you need the UCH , decoder ring ecu and key
you need the whole front end including the interior front part wiring loom its also an advantage to have the clocks.
subframe isnt a must but would be an advatage for the lower gearbox engine mount
Is the engine from a cup or 172? another problem is the aux belt i had big problems with this .... if your car has electric power steering then you need to use a DCI idler pully to sit where to power steering pump 'was' if you have hydraulic power steering then your ok!
just get the whole front end if you can

Hippys bus of LOVE !!!
why don't you just use a shorter belt jon, and miss the PAS pump completley??? cheaper and easier

thats what we've done on yozza's cup

Fred