ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Advice

Hi all been a member on here a while going to see a 172 cup tomorrow, what should i be looking out for? its early 2004 53 plate 64k fsh, the cambelts been done but he has no reciept of this is there any way i can check? seems to be a nice car but was wondering if i should be looking out for anything in particular?
cheers

Sam

clio 172 cup
i had the same situation the car was really nice but was one of them yeah cambelts been done but havent got recipt so said your not going to have ay luck selling it if thats the case take 500 of the price and ill come get it tomorrow and did the deal there and then if he knows clios hell know its near impossible to sell without prof of cambelt change

Megane R26
I have recently bought a cup, there was no receipt for the cambelt, only a stamp in the book with "cambelt changed" written underneath. It was done by a local garage who are out of business now, so I couldn't ring up and check.

I took it to Fred in Birmingham yesterday for a cambelt and Dephaser change. Turns out the local garage had got the timing out, and had hammered in the locking tool to make it fit, damaging the end of the camshaft in the process. As well as using the wrong spark plugs.

Long story short, see if there is a stamp in the logbook and ring up and check it has been done properly. If not, try and knock off about £450 as that's how much the service would be (£300 without the dephaser.)

On a side note, I would definitely recommend Fred@BTM for anything cambelt related.

172 Cup
I bought a Cup 2 weeks back. It's on 41k and the cam and aux belt was changed at 29k.
Sadly the dephaser wasn't and now it's starting to rattle.
Fred is changing all mine in a few weeks.