ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup: Cracked Exhaust / Cat

172 Cup
Hi,

The other day i rolled over a curb coming out of a car park. It was dark and turned out to be bigger than expected - my mistake.

I've cracked what i believe to be where the manifold connects to the cat - please see photo below.

I've been told by a local mechanic that he can weld this together for 30 Euros, if I remove the exhaust. Is this a pretty easy task to remove the section? is there anything in particular that i should be aware of?

cat.jpg

Thanks in advance,

Adrian

Last edited:
  Lionel Richie
you will need a new fitting kit, they cost about £20 from Renault

they can be horrible to remove, have a friend nearby to help!

Fiesta ST2 MP215
you will need a new fitting kit, they cost about £20 from Renault

they can be horrible to remove, have a friend nearby to help!

£18 from Wolverhampton Renought at the moment, and +1 complete b*****d slut things to remove, you'll probably find the bolts are rounded off / melted and won't fit in the sockets, you might need some good mulgrips to grab the Manifold side of the bolt and a variety of tools for the Cat side, my source of this........... Yesterday. took me 3hrs to decat the car, if you have a grinder and a long extension lead just zip the bolt in half and be done with the **** of a thing, will save you hours of swearing and shouting at it, Lamda is also another b**ch to get out, but nothing a vice and club hammer won't fix, by hand it will never come out.

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Decat just makes it sound more raspy, well worth it, yesterday I went hammering down the Heathrow Tunnel, was like being in Nascar lol

Fiesta ST2 MP215
Sounded like it in the narrow tunnel, the bit between epic and f**k whats wrong, such an echo in there, but no all runs sweet as a fresh pussy for time being anyway.

172 Cup
Ok i'll take the risk and put the decat on then! It'll give me something to do whilst waiting for the garage to finish welding.

Cheers!

172 Cup
I don't suppose you have a Renault part number for the fitting kit do you? It would save me trying to explain it in French (waving my arms about and pointing). Thanks

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Thanks Fred, I'll give it ago this weekend.

Alternatively, I have a KTR decat pipe i could put on instead (http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=2034&appid=2).

I'm scared to do this as it is already bloody noisy with a KTEC supersports stealth - how much worse do you think it would get, bolting on the decat?

Cheers

Good luck with that lot- I have the same ^ on my race car & work swear they can hear me coming 9 miles away-

S

172 Cup
Well. My exhaust just snapped where the crack was (see photo). Strapped it up and driven 40km with my car sounding like a panzer tank.

So I have a new problem - France is useless, and i cannot get a hold of this exhaust fitting kit until the middle of next week as none of the garages (tried 3) have them in stock. Is it not possible to reuse the bolts already in place? Do they definitely need renewing?

If so, i'll need to find alternative transport next week whilst i wait for this to arrive.

Cheers

Fiesta ST2 MP215
You might find like I did, the the bolt ends were melted, rotten and just generally fucked mate, they've been on for 9+ years exposed to the French Alps they will be in the worst condition ever.