ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup Engine in a mk1 Pedal Box??

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Hey Guys,

Looking around for an f4r for my mk1 valver, came across a 172 cup engine.

I started thinking about the flyby wire system they have on these cars instead of the throttle cable - is it possible to fit the 172 pedal box to my mk1?

In doing this and putting in the interior loom and clocks would It then all be fully working? Just trying to think of a way of getting around the ph1 engine just out of interest really.

Cheers

Craig

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
The accelerator pedal would be easy to fit yes, you dont need the other pedals though.

When you say cup engine you mean the complete setup with ecu and loom etc too?

182cup & 172 racecar
There is a complete conversion kit for sale on here, engine, loom the lot. it would be alot easier.

Northy is selling it.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Yeah I mean F4R, and yes chip I would be looking to use the 172 ph2 loom both interior and engine and the ecu (after decoding ofc) untill I can afford standalone :)x

Yeah I know all about the F7R northy is selling, I got all the parts to re-build my car from him, infact that engine and the steering rack from that williams 3 are the only parts I didnt have from the front end haha :)

So just to re-cap, I could get a 172 cup fly by wire pedal and it would be easy enough to bolt into my car :)

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I have a cup pedal box in my mk1. Just fitted with a ph1 throttle pedal. I've got a cup servo as well.

Danlp6 fitted it for me, so please don't ask me any questions! Lol

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Im not sure if Craig means a road going cup engine, or a cup racer, if its the former then I would think the immobiliser side of things is going to be a bit of a ballache, the ph1 is simpler in that respect I believe although Ive never been involved in taking the immobiliser off either personally.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
yeah as in a clio 172 cup the road car :) Im just thinking realistically is it plausable, I may as well buy a whole car for when I come to do the conversion and iirc the cup doesnt have aircon or anything so it save me having to remove all that to put it in the mk1? :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
yeah as in a clio 172 cup the road car :) Im just thinking realistically is it plausable, I may as well buy a whole car for when I come to do the conversion and iirc the cup doesnt have aircon or anything so it save me having to remove all that to put it in the mk1? :)

I think the loom side of things will be a ballache due to the canbus side of things wanting to see the key immobliser etc, but Ive not tried.
Buying a complete car would give you the cup widetrack with extra caster etc though so good from that point of view, and yes the cup setup is a good one IF you want to run hydraulic power steering but no aircon, if you want neither though, you need the same setup Daniel has instead so cup or not wont make any difference.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Yeah I would like to still keep my power steering, although do some of them have electric steering?? I know some of the 2005 scenic's did? I was going to pinch the hubs and brake setups anyway (pressing in the valver hub carrier or whatever it is called). Where all mk2's cable clutch?

I want to use the interior dash and clocks etc as we previously discussed chip, and buying a whole car and using stuff from that would obv make the most sense instead of buying a ph1 and trying to match up the interior looms from a ph1 rs and a ph2 rs

edit: plus if I used the mk2 lockset I shouldnt have immobiliser issues :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Only electric column mk2 ones are the DCi as far as im aware.
All mk2 sports are cable clutch yes.

Will be cool if you can do the whole lot, if you do everything including the clocks and loom etc it should solve any immobiliser problems too as you will still have the correct key and loom etc, even the ODB port so we can remap it etc if you ever went for an RS2 for example.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
you can remap the standard ecu? And yes I will deffo be going RS2 because of the location of the tb I can use my group a scuttle induction with it :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
you can remap the standard ecu?

Yes, with a bit of help from a mate who has the right equipment for the standard ECU which I dont as not worth the investment for me as nearly everything I need to remap is either on aftermarket or is just diesel stuff where a chiptune file is fine.
Its a lengthy process doing it that way so not something I would ever do for the public, but its fine for mates, thats how I did Lesleys and Dans.

And yes I will deffo be going RS2 because of the location of the tb I can use my group a scuttle induction with it :)

Ah cool, didnt realise you had already decided that, try and get some 197 cams too then.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
You would never sell that, your completely in love with it :p "if it got 50mpg id use it everyday" ring a bell? ;)

Couldn't afford it anyway bud especially considering if things go well with barclays its a sept 14 start.

I wonder if I could get cruise control to work in a mk1 :)

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
You would never sell that, your completely in love with it :p "if it got 50mpg id use it everyday" ring a bell? ;)

Cor, typical customers, you build them the ideal car and then they bale out of the deal!

Couldn't afford it anyway bud especially considering if things go well with barclays its a sept 14 start.

fingers crossed mate.

I wonder if I could get cruise control to work in a mk1 :)

Cruise control shoulnt be a problem, we retrofitted it to our ph2 and the cups have a speedo drive box like ours does, you'd struggle a lot more if you were using a later ph2 donor though as on them the speed is done through the ABS.

PM Danlp6 for a definitive answer on if its possible on a cup though as im sure he will know, where as I am just making assumptions.

Clio 16v 'YOJ'
Ill pm him later on bud should be a good project, this all seems similar to the mini, an engine change turned into a massive full on conversion haha

172/1.2/E30
Only electric column mk2 ones are the DCi as far as im aware.
All mk2 sports are cable clutch yes.

Will be cool if you can do the whole lot, if you do everything including the clocks and loom etc it should solve any immobiliser problems too as you will still have the correct key and loom etc, even the ODB port so we can remap it etc if you ever went for an RS2 for example.

All ph2/3 non sports run EPAS.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All ph2/3 non sports run EPAS.

Ah cool, thanks for the correction, I only get involved with the sports so no very little about the rest of the range, its always DCi ones for some reason I see people retrofit so thought it was only the DCi that had it.