ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup gear issues

172 Cup
Hey,

I have been to look at a 172 cup today. Took it for test a drive and it kept coming out of 3rd gear. And it was difficult to get it 3rd at high revs. I have a few friends that have 182's and trophys, so i know that they sometimes suffer from bad engine mounts which can cause this. On a 15 mins drive it came out of gear a good 10 times. Does this sound like a mount issue or could this be directly gearbox related, syncros etc? Cheers

Megane Trophy, Golf
Could be the 3rd gear syncro, whats it feel like to drive. Is engine banging or owt when you boot it? I would pop hood and just have a look at mounts.

'probably' the engine mounts; did it crunch into third as well?

unless it's a bargain and you're prepared to find out the hard way, i'd leave that one be - loads about

172 Cup
It is cheap. But then if i have to replace the box, not so cheap. To drive it was fine. It's had new mounts, as he showed me the receipts. But not a dogbone mount, so it could be this.

Nope engine didn't make any strange noises when driving.

Renault Clio Sport Ph2
Probably synchro's, the ones on my car are also getting bad. Never noticed it, even when driving hard on the road. But on the nurburgring I've had problems getting to 3rd gear, mostly on the downshifts. Probably because of the temperature of the gearbox and the oil. Going to change the oils and see how it holds up.