ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup in the wet

gek

Clio 172 Cup
Hi all,

Not had my Cup long, and was thinking this morning as I was driving to work in the pouring rain....again, about the cup being renowned as being a bit of a handful in the wet.

I think Evo referred to it as 'nervous in the wet'.

Got me thinking ...... why? Is it the tyres, suspension, lack of weight or lack of abs etc etc that lead to this wet problem or something else?
How hard would I have to be pushing it in the wet to do myself a mischief?

same as any other front driver, really - poor traction, 'enhanced' understeer, and (what with no ABS), poor braking.

it's the braking you've got to think about - emergency application in a corner would be exciting

the back-end of mine seems really stable and got to say that i think it's actually quite dull for it :quiet:

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
Mine is a pig in the wet, i only have to touch the gas gently and the wheels spin up, Roundabouts are terrible I got overtaken by a Bus on one the otherday I was having to go so slow!

That said i think mine is down to my ditch finders on the front of the car.

missmy257bhp r5/ got evo6
no abs and the lightness is the prob mine took so long to stop just locks up from any speed

Meg 250/E36 Touring
Mines pretty grippy, different league to a 197 though.

really have to think about cornering speeds etc.

Slow in, fast out = great fun :D

Weeman sucks ****
how about not pushing it in the wet in a car with these characteristics?

spells hedge or head on collisions to me.

plc's

gek

Clio 172 Cup
how about not pushing it in the wet in a car with these characteristics?

spells hedge or head on collisions to me.

plc's

Agreed. I was just curious as to why a car with such excellent handling in the dry should be bobbins in the wet?

Meg 250/E36 Touring
^^ They don't handle badly in the wet. Just need to be aware of the lack of Health and Safety.

Reminds me of my S1 Elise really.

Makes a nice change to drive something 'pure'

320d
i doubt a cup will be any worse than any older car i.e. older mk1/mk2 ph1 clio's with no abs. The only issue i supose would be wheelspin, but its only as powerful as you put your foot down just got to get the cluch engaged asap then accelerate lightly.

A4 DTM/iceberg cup
dont really have a problem with mine in the wet. just respect the car and conditions and it will look after you

172 cup
Got to say mine doesnt like the wet.
But I love the fact I dont have abs, just have be a little bit more careful.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
Often car's are set-up to run worse in the wet anyway by virtue of the mod's some of us apply. Stripping the rear and increasing the suspension firmness didn't help mine.

Its the lack of ABS and lack of weight over the rear (even more so than a normal 172 as theres no spare wheel). Less weight over the rear means the back end is more lively. That along with no ESP to rein in any cack-handed driving means you need to be on the ball. Can't say the lack of TC bothers me, you have to a bit of tool to get plough-on power understeer, and I can usually find enough traction once in 2nd gear.

Does'nt make me nervous to drive in the wet as such, more wary. In fact I quite enjoy the extra concentration and lower limits of a good hoon in the wet :)

RichCup

ClioSport Club Member
Mine's fine, I wouldn't say it's nervous at all. The problem is that people go in too fast, s**t themselves, let off and then the back end goes.

RS Clio 200
Stiff suspension = great in the dry, twitchy in the wet. What is great handling on a dry road is not when it gets wet.

i've not done anything daft in it, but the back-end of mine doesn't seem to want to play at all; it'll move under braking whilst turning in, but it's just not interested in lift off oversteer as my 205 was. that said, i do have Contis on the back and 539s on the front which i guess'll have a lot to do with it

Traction control ftw. Drove home part way yesterday with mine off to see what you pussys are on about. Fook. Spinning up in 2 over man hole covers/junctions etc.

Cup is a real mans car in the wet ;)

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
i've not done anything daft in it, but the back-end of mine doesn't seem to want to play at all; it'll move under braking whilst turning in, but it's just not interested in lift off oversteer as my 205 was. that said, i do have Contis on the back and 539s on the front which i guess'll have a lot to do with it

Yup. That's a safe balanced setup. Try swapping front with back and you'll be sideways in the wet everywhere.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Have not had a single issue with my Cup in the wet yet, the back end seems very well planted.

Also, my old Ph1 used to suffer from wheelspin on Toyo T1R's far worse than my Cup does on Eagle F1's.

Clio 172 Cup
I have had wheelspin @ 50mph in third last Friday when it was hammering it down. Straight line though so no worries just a bit unexpected. I have noticed though that I can slide the back end slightly when it is wet making left or right turns, could be due to the camber on the cup rear wheels. ie not a lot of surface contact at slow speeds. I have not had any moments when driving on the twisties (80% national limit too) on my way to work and back in the wet but i try to drive to the conditions. You have to know your limits and drive with confidence. Don't drive like like a cnut or suddenly get nervous halfway round a bend or you will swap ends quicker than Briana Banks :eek: