ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 cup manifold mods

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer
BenR said:
THere is a miss match, its not quite the same thing as the casting ends there and its not always machined flat. But the whole inlet track should be modified from plenham to head.

Which parts do you fettle on your manifold mod? Is it just the one joint (as per the thread) or do you do the head to manifold matching aswell...?

VRS
i know i sound like a complete muppet saying this but can some1 explain or put up a picture pointing out the inlet manifold in the engine bay for me? is this the part with the renaultsport logo on or is it a different part?
very interested in this, but tbh i know f**k all bout engines lol

Lionel Richie
thats the plenham mate

the inlet manifold is the bit below that with the fuel injectors on it (covered by the fuel rail cover, big bit at front of engine)

TDI tyre shreader
makavelli said:
i know i sound like a complete muppet saying this but can some1 explain or put up a picture pointing out the inlet manifold in the engine bay for me? is this the part with the renaultsport logo on or is it a different part?

yeah its the four fingered shineyish metal bit with the renault sport logo on it if you take your engine cover off its dead clear

Audi TT 225
makavelli said:

This is the inlet manifold (pinched from Bens post)

P1010811.jpg

And this is the plenham

mani01.gif

The manifold gets matched to the head ports and the two sections of the manifold are also matched where they join together.

Hope that clears it up... I still end up calling the plenham the manifold tho lol :rasp:

clio 172
no didn't need any work doing just wondered if you had seen us in the pits if you did anything with the dragracing.
whats your name or business name?
roger uperton does the cylinder heads on the pro stock bike for my dad.
pretty good at what he does.
have you heard the name?

VRS
how easy is this to do then? is there any1 in the north west who can do it and do a good job?
also wud people declare this to insurance or not?
if power gains are around 8-12bhp then i wud think thats a pretty major mod worth declaring but then again, wud it go unnoticed if insurers checked after an accident (hopefully wudnt have 1) ?????

Audi TT 225
Personally I wouldn't bother telling them tbh
Are they really going to rip off you inlet and look inside?

Technically your not adding anything to your car you just decided it could do with a little less metal here and there so you took some off lol.
You dont have to tell them if you take something off your car right?

Its down to you at the end of the day...

VRS
also wud the gains in a 182 be less than a 172??
cos am i right in thinking the 182 gets the extra bhp from a better matching manifold?

Lionel Richie
makavelli said:
also wud the gains in a 182 be less than a 172??
cos am i right in thinking the 182 gets the extra bhp from a better matching manifold?

only a tiny tiny bit, the exhaust is the main gain

Audi TT 225
They would notice if you had stripped your interior thats the difference..

Depends how pedantic you wanna get. Ive polished my manifold but Im not rushing to tell them about it because its shiny... its the same sort of thing just on the inside of the engine lol

So if I stuck a new badge on my car technically I would have to phone them up and get charged more because theres more risk of some one stealing it because its nicer.
But its not like I could phone up my insurance and say Ive de-badged my car to stop pikeys stealing them so there for I want cheeper insurance because theres 0.00001 less chance if some one having a go at it.

VRS
so it wud still be worth doing this on a 182 then?
and how long on average wud it take people to do it? is a 1 day jobbie or a leave the car overnite job?

Lionel Richie
makavelli said:
so it wud still be worth doing this on a 182 then?

^^yup^^

Rich i agree with you completley, i haven't declared my car's a pigstye for example!!! na really i haven't told them that i've decked out the back where the seats use to be, as its only 2 bits of MDF covered in carpet!

Audi TT 225
I pay just over a grand for insurance anyway so I'll try and get away with everything I can until it comes down to a sensible level lol

Its all a scam anyway, they're quick enough to take our money but they'll try and get out of paying up if they can...
Was it your mate that had his insurance voided for tints Fred?

Ferrari enzo
If you look closely at the picture i posted you can see the plenum marked up in blue as well.
I did both but the worst and most important bit is the manifold to head join.
If you want the plenum cut open and heavily modified as mentioned earlier then speak to BenR. I just haven't got time for that kind of mod at this time of year.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
is this straight forward?

as in, if i brought an inlet, are they easy to install, whats involved??

Ferrari enzo
hoperacing said:
no didn't need any work doing just wondered if you had seen us in the pits if you did anything with the dragracing.
whats your name or business name?
roger uperton does the cylinder heads on the pro stock bike for my dad.
pretty good at what he does.
have you heard the name?
Mostly i'm involved in circuit racing (superbikes and supersport).
Do work for the autograss community as well.
Don't get to any other meetings.
My business is called Race Developments.
Not familiar with roger uperton.

Ferrari enzo
gt_gaz said:
is this straight forward?

as in, if i brought an inlet, are they easy to install, whats involved??
Its is very simple to fit as long as you've got a half decent tool kit. Its about a dozen bolts and you have to remove a bunch of connectors and a couple of pipes.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
cheers, spoke to ben the other day about one, next mod for me i think, very interesting thread mate

Evo IX -06
timdog said:
If you look closely at the picture i posted you can see the plenum marked up in blue as well.
I did both but the worst and most important bit is the manifold to head join.

now i bend with wire..
do inlet manifold have same kind of step to plenum that has to head?
see below what i mean ;)

inlet.jpg

-Make- said:
now i bend with wire..
do inlet manifold have same kind of step to plenum that has to head?
see below what i mean ;)

read what you quoted..

he said the ''plenum'' to ''inlet'' does have a slight step that needs matching, but its not as bad or important as the ''inlet'' to ''head'' step..

Evo IX -06
Thanks!

..also, i have heard that some manufactures have point to use those kind of little steps to gain

'whirl' in flow. What do you think, any doubt?

And sorry my english.

by: 172 owner from Finland

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Im going to do this mod in the next couple of weeks whilst Im there Im going to polish up the plenum, that should stand out quite nicely I also want to get the engine cover painted monoco blue to match the body work, Whats the best way to paint it? Do I need/Can I buy high temp paint in this colour or does anyone here do powder coating?

Quote -Make-:
..also, i have heard that some manufactures have point to use those kind of little steps to gain

'whirl' in flow. What do you think, any

I have had extensive inlet head/work done on a lotus engine, they were ported flowed and matched which saw massive gains the flow through the head increase from 126 cfm to 170 cfm, After this the inlet was removed again and a rifling pattern was added to introduce turbulance through the manifold, We didn't notice any performance gain from this, but engine effiency was improved and a cleaner burn was obtained.

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
just a note of caution

we have tested a couple of these manifolds before we map them with the afr meter, and after the work was done the AFR never went below 14.5 (on full load)

so its running lean and certainly not enough to get the best power which is at 12.9 on the clio.

there are a few people that have run this without fueling adjustment with no problem (the std ecu had good knock control on it)

just to make you aware thats all.